Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
OtleyLad

OMG a whole house re-wire!!!!

Got an email today from someone wanting a complete house re-wire. I never expected my first job to be this big. Its scary. I'm hardly quick and it could take me ages.
I sort of imagined small jobs adding outside lights and adding extra sockets.

I have to do a quote of course, now there's plenty of scope to get it wrong.

Mustn't panic though and it is what I trained for...
Jamanda

Doing the whole thing from scratch might be more straight forward than adding on to existing stuff....maybe...
stumbling goat

Daunting job on your lonesome ownsome. Do you want a "laddie"?

Laughing

sg
Nick

Are you providing a quote or an estimate?

Well done. We recently had a plumber, and it was about his first job. Very slow, but diligent and text book stuff. Over ran by 50%, but didn't charge that much more.
Went

Just try and enjoy it - what a great first bit/lot of work.
mousjoos

Good luck & take it as "experience" in doing the job for real

Everyone has to start somehere
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Good luck!
MornieG

Good luck, hope you get the job.

You could try costing on a day rate plus materials. You buy the materials the customer pays for them straight away up front at cost plus 10%( to cover the fact you had to get them in the first place ) a good deal for them and you are covered for your outlay. Then a fair day rate payable weekly with an estimate of the time eg 14 - 18 days. Any additional works to be costed and agreed with the client before work commences.

Mo.XX
Hairyloon

May not be a bad idea.
OtleyLad

May not be a bad idea.

Its a thought. But I don't know anyone and whereas I can pay myself 50p an hour if something takes me much longer than anticipated, I couldn't do that to anyone else.

I'm going to see the place monday evening to get a sense of the currant state of it. Hope its not really pristine and spotless...
arvo

1)Re: materiels. Now is a really good time to strike up a deal with a local leccy wholesalers (City Electrical, ScrewFix, Newey and Ayre whoever your local is) if you haven't already. Go into all of them and find out what discount and what invoice terms they'll do you. Worth half a days effort. You should be looking for 25/30 pc. You can decide how much of that to pass on. For this first job, I'd use that to give you some wiggle room because there'll be loads of stuff you'll need that you've not thought of first up.

2) Find out what kind of time scale they're looking to get it done in and what level of mess they're expecting (do they need to live there while you work, or will it be a building site).

3) Lastly, I would a reliable local back-up to check your stuff. You might also consider hiring a reliable/cheerful second year C&G college kid to help you pull cables/ do fishing.

4) Factor in that you might need to be buying kit/tools for this job (Megas, SDS drills, fishing kits, floorboard saws etc).

5) Good luck mate. Sounds great.

All the best

Arvo
RichardW

Dont under estimate how long it takes to do all the chasing out if any is needed. Get them to arrange (and pay for) the making good after first fix.

Cost the cabling in multipuls of full rolls for all the common stuff (1mm 1.5mm & 2.5mm) the rest work out the length & add 10%.

Put in the quote that all cables removed become your property. Over a year its a nice bonus.

Collect all the offcuts of the new cables too. You would be amazed just how much gets cut off as part of the second fix.
Nick

Put in the quote that all cables removed become your property. Over a year its a nice bonus.

Collect all the offcuts of the new cables too. You would be amazed just how much gets cut off as part of the second fix.

Perhaps word this as you agree to remove all electrical waste, so it looks like a good service you're offering, rather than being a pikey Smile
MornieG

Perhaps word this as you agree to remove all electrical waste, so it looks like a good service you're offering, rather than being a pikey Smile

That's how a friend of mine got his ' New ' kitchen units LOL

Mo.XX
vegplot

Here's hoping they pay you promptly. RichardW

Dont mention waste as then you are entering the waste licence area.

If it was never waste & its your property you are ok. If its some one elses waste then it comes under the licence rules.
Rob R

Nice work Very Happy frewen

Lots of great advice Smile

Good luck
Mistress Rose

I am not being defeatist, but look at the job, find out what will be needed. Hope you do feel you can do it, but if you think it is too much for you, as a last resort, suggest someone you would trust to do it instead, telling them what you do feel capable of. Better to get a name for being helpful and picking up odd jobs rather than taking on something you know you can't do.

You might have a bit of trouble getting accounts at some wholesalers until you have been going a year or two. They might give you discount on sales, but some are wary of giving what is effectively credit to new businesses.

As the others say, if you take away cable, make sure that you are 'buying' it for a purpose otherwise you will need a waste licence. Make it clear that you are not taking away any other waste such as plaster too.

Good luck to it. Husband did a partial rewire of a house where he found DC cable, rubber covered AC, some of which had completely lost its insulation, and various other horrors. He managed it all right, although it was an 'interesting' job, especially as it was a student house.
Hairyloon

As the others say, if you take away cable, make sure that you are 'buying' it for a purpose otherwise you will need a waste licence.
I've occasioned to wonder about this.
I believe a waste carrier's license covers the company, so if I have the license, and OL contracts me to carry the waste away, what is to stop me from hiring him to do the actual carrying?
Mistress Rose

Don't know all the details Hairyloon, as we have always avoided it by telling people they have to make their own arrangements. There has to be a chain of removal to tip with paperwork correct at each stage, theoretically to stop fly tipping. Imo it just means more fly tipping as most people don't understand the system, and if they do, prefer to employ someone for less and don't worry about where the rubbish ends up. We have had two incidents recently at the woods. The last one was chalk which we think is from a fence that is being constructed not far away, so we are keeping an eye on them. Chalk went into track hardening near our yard, but the previous stuff was garden rubbish. All the green stuff burnt up and bricks stacked, then someone pinched the bricks. I ask you!!!!! Rolling Eyes Hairyloon

There has to be a chain of removal to tip with paperwork correct at each stage...
It doesn't have to go to the tip it just has to be properly disposed of: mostly I've burned mine.
But the daft thing is that the chain does not have to start at the beginning, unless it begins at a business.
Any waste derived at a domestic premises does not require a waste note: it probably ought to.
Nick

Given that even hedge or lawn trimmings class as waste, even from a domestic place, the paperwork would be horrendous. RichardW

As the others say, if you take away cable, make sure that you are 'buying' it for a purpose otherwise you will need a waste licence.
I've occasioned to wonder about this.
I believe a waste carrier's license covers the company, so if I have the license, and OL contracts me to carry the waste away, what is to stop me from hiring him to do the actual carrying?

Paper work for a start & then the fact that the company you subcontract to would also need its own licence as part of its work was carrying waste for a contract.
Hairyloon

Paper work for a start...
What paperwork? Other than the waste transfer note.
Quote:
& then the fact that the company you subcontract to would also need its own licence...

A company would if sub-contracted, but an individual wouldn't if hired as an employee.
RichardW

Paper work for a start...
What paperwork? Other than the waste transfer note.
Quote:
& then the fact that the company you subcontract to would also need its own licence...

A company would if sub-contracted, but an individual wouldn't if hired as an employee.

But he is selfemployed / a company. Ok he could work for more than one company / employer but without NI & TAX being in good order with the new reporting set up for all "wages" (you would need pay him even if it was paid back to you in your fees) they will run riot through the holes in this plan.

Paperwork:-

householder to installation contractor (done by the contractor but householder needs a copy in case it ends up fly tipped & council come chasing them for using a non licensed contractor), contractors contract with waste disposal company, disposal company's contract sub contracting it to a sub contractor, subcontractors paper work for collecting it, sub contractors paper work when its passed to the next link in the chain. For each time you do it.

In both cases its just not worth the bother. Get a licence & save the trouble. Or work around it on your own. There are a few exemptions.
Shan

I think if I read this whole thread I would be talked into inactivity!

Congratulations Otley. Enjoy it, it is something to be excited about. There is nothing wrong with being slow and methodical.
DorsetScott

Congratulations OL OtleyLad

Congratulations OL

Thanks. I still have to put in a quote and have it accepted of course.

I'm not worried about the waste wire, etc. I'll just leave it to them as they live really close to the local recycling place.
Mistress Rose

Think the waste got in as a slight meander. All the best with it. RichardW

Yes good luck.

Remember the cheapest quote is not always the one that gets accepted.

I would give a "basic" quote using cheap parts & a "better" quote using stuff like MK.
RichardW

How did you get on in the end?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home