Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
dpack

on a happy theme...please join in we need it

my big boy tomato is looking fine,it is growing like jack's beanstalk,has floweres that would pass for far off sunflower heads and looks like it is going to be a monster covered in multi fruiting trusses.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i feel a bit better now. Laughing
sean

And who wouldn't with a fine-looking big boy tomato?
dpack

the wizened wretches that i have grown over the last few years might feel rather sorry for themselves if they could see this specimen of tomatoy excellence Laughing
dpack

another happy thought seems appropriate at this time

the sky is half filled with fluffy cumulus and the sun is feeding my big boy who seems to have grown 100mm overnight

and i have just mended all 12 corners of 3 window fly screens so we can ventilate without wildlife suffering death by hoover

Very Happy
dpack

come on folks ,join in even if it isnt a grow your own happy
Slim

The espaliered asian pear that I put in as a bare root last year is looking quite healthy and probably bearing about 10 fruits! Very Happy
wellington womble

I have a cheque from the tax man. And there are baby fruits on the pear, cherry and apple trees. And we've had plenty of rain, so the currants look really good for when they're ripe in a couple of weeks (once I excavate them. They're a bit overgrown....)
dpack

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

that's the sort of thing Cool
frewen

I made aquafaba merengue!
Slim

Also, I don't know what happened to the manure as fuel thread, but I just learned of this town considering itself the cow chip throwing capital of the world and thought of it: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2188

Edit: Who knew there was such fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWGqhIbXh-I

Edit 2: And even more fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLU58XMumA
frewen

Oh dear God "Randy the mayor of Beaver hurling dried bovine faecal wads"

<childish sniggering and laughter>
dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing

i thought it was just a west yorkshire game,the frisbee type ones are best.

we used to play as kids as a summer substitute for snowballs,i hadnt seen it as a distance event.

the idea of selling gift wrapped commemorative cow pats is wonderful, i wonder if rob is up for hosting a uk championship.
Chez

I am sad because I am lacking a fine looking big boy tomato. However, we have just spent an hour in a pile in the big bed watching that monkey chappie on iPlayer, which was interesting in itself, but also, hilarious because Nenna was SO EXCITED she had to narrate what was happening in a mixture of high pitched squeaking and wild signing. I am deaf in one ear and have a black eye, but I feel I have fulfilled my parenting duty Smile.
Mistress Rose

That is parental Duty with a capital D. Very Happy

It seems my cabbages are not completely defunct as the middles are still there. With any luck they may even grow. A reasonable number of leeks seem to have survived the birds dust baths too.
dpack

ki seems to have recovered from having had two back teeth out and is perkier than she has been for a month Very Happy

the biggest big boy is nearly deserving a photo. Wink
Jamanda

B

[quote="frewen:1463729"]I made aquafaba merengue!

How is that different from normal meringue?
joanne

Well for starters it's made from the leftovers to one of Sean's favourite things - Chickpea juice Smile so it's vegan Smile
AnnaD

I just finished digging my second plant bed for my forest garden. I've shaped it so there's a hidey-hole for the kids. This one's going to have a hazel and a cherry tree as well as lots of random useful perennials.

The first bed has been planted and contains eucalyptus, rhubarb, ostrich ferns, two blueberry bushes, several strawberry plants and both redcurrants and blackcurrants.

As you can probably tell, I'm very excited about this project!
Mistress Rose

I managed a sponsored walk round London that I was a bit worried about. Turned out to be about 10 miles rather than the 8 I was told. Weather stayed good and we only got wet in the evening on the way home.
dpack

my oft deepening potato container(fish box/laundry bag tube combo) has reached over a meter from planting level to stalk tops and seems to be very happy.
i need some sunny afternoons and evenings for a couple of months for a good crop but it looks quite promising for a first try at container grown in that position.

the little chilli plant from the great global greyhound walk is doing well at the foot of big boy number two,im quite kid before christmas to find out what sort of chillies it will have as it had no named type on the label which just said chilli,which is a bit like writing whisky on the bottle or snake on the door of an apparently empty walk in vivarium

the sky has cleared and the sun should be on bigboy one in about half an hour Laughing
dpack

we are including a bunch of spring onions in tea , part as salad and part in the sweet n sour pork balls and i have just planted about 50 radish seeds.
radish do well as a catchcrop/ gap filling co crop on the top of the woodshed.
frewen

I went to a wonderful concert for grade 1 pianists at Snape Maltings. Then we had a singing morning which meant I missed maths 😎
sean

Less than four weeks to Chagstock. Very Happy
Chez

Less than four weeks to Chagstock. Very Happy

Yay! Girly weekend Smile
dpack

the spring onions were delicious , most went into the mandarin orange sweet and sour sauce,the white bits of some went into the deep fried marinaded spicey ground pork balls in batter and a few green bits garnished the orange and lettuce salad.all in all a rather nice dinner.

i recon spring onions should get from earth to fork with no lurking time.even frisked up in a glass of water shop ones and even market ones they picked yesterday afternoon dont match really fresh ones.

some things need a bit of a lie down before they are ready,yesterday i had a very nice avocado that said best before may 7 Laughing im glad i didnt try it back then Rolling Eyes
BahamaMama

I have spotted my first tomato set, the pear tree has several fruit that have survived the June drop and my nephew is a ball boy at Wimbledon - very proud auntie Very Happy
dpack

i have ladybird nymphs changing into adults having cleared several things of aphids.maybe not too jolly for the aphids but im well pleased that yet again the no pesticides route is effective.
Mistress Rose

Congratulations to your nephew BahamaMama. Hard work, but very prestigious.

We had the first potatoes from the garden yesterday and they were really nice. Not a huge amount, but only dug one root and there was enough for more than one meal for 2 of us.
dpack

i might sneak a few spring onions into the chicken and mangalitza salami vegetable soup (it's got dried wild shroom mix in it as well Very Happy )
sean

I've got steak for dinner. Very Happy
tahir

Not all our cherries have split
sean

Not all our cherries have split

Cautiously positive there. How are your nuts and plums?
tahir

Haven't had the time to go over to the nut side. My plums are fine, apricots very poor though. dpack

did you sort the cherry net?

while getting 3 spring onions i noticed the 3 parsleys had enough growth to allow taking quite a bit which is also now in the soup,in drooling a bit at the mo Laughing
Chez

We have a duckling. sean

We have a duckling.

Arvo been wearing his goose suit again? Shocked
frewen

I'm at home - hiding from the world.

I'll probably do some aural practice in a minute. I need more practice identifying chord progressions and inversions.
Chez

We have a duckling.

Arvo been wearing his goose suit again? Shocked

In my head, now Smile
tahir

did you sort the cherry net?

Yep, not well enough though. Still we've more than enough cherries for our needs.
sean

There, you feel better already. Smile

In breaking gadget news I've found a thing that'll let us leave the electric coolbox plugged in in the back of the car and isn't 'calling Green Flag when the car won't start'.
Nick

There, you feel better already. Smile

In breaking gadget news I've found a thing that'll let us leave the electric coolbox plugged in in the back of the car and isn't 'calling Green Flag when the car won't start'.

Is it the big enginey thing in the front of the car?
sean

Nope. dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing dpack

the guinea pigs are chowing down on a heap of small yellow vetch with a 2 grass side salad ,they are very happy Very Happy Very Happy wellington womble

Where? I've been looking for one of those. I'm always afraid I'll forget to turn it off.

Jenna did 'maple' dancing today at school, and opened her school fair /sports day. It was very cute. And we have fluffy silkie chickens and new white chickens that lay white eggs. One did lay a white egg yesterday and an established lady laid us a double yolked egg for tea today.

I'd prefer steak, mind. We may purchase more chickens this weekend, as the timer thingy seems to be keeping the fox at bay for the moment and I may have found orpingtons, silver pencilled brahmas and arucanas locally.
dpack

re the timer thing remember to reset it as dusk gets earlier ,i had a photocell on the chook mobile which shut the door about 15 mins after the chooks thought it was bed time and foxey didnt get any with evening raids.

day time vigilance etc is wise. Wink
sean

Where? .

Evil Amazon
wellington womble

re the timer thing remember to reset it as dusk gets earlier ,i had a photocell on the chook mobile which shut the door about 15 mins after the chooks thought it was bed time and foxey didnt get any with evening raids.

It's only on timer in the mornings, in the evenings it shuts at dusk with a light sensor (I'm more concerned about them being shut out and being eaten) but it was opening so early on the light sensor that I lost half a dozen birds in the early hours, I think. I can't find any other reason - I'd double checked they were all tucked up for the night, so it must have been in the morning. I'm down there several times in the day, and given half a chance, they like to hang out on the patio.
wellington womble

Where? .

Evil Amazon

Ta. I looked for one last year, and got tutted at.
dpack

It's only on timer in the mornings, in the evenings it shuts at dusk with a light sensor (I'm more concerned about them being shut out and being eaten) but it was opening so early on the light sensor that I lost half a dozen birds in the early hours, I think. I can't find any other reason - I'd double checked they were all tucked up for the night, so it must have been in the morning. I'm down there several times in the day, and given half a chance, they like to hang out on the patio.

that seems a good arrangement ,once they have a swing seat and a coolbox on the patio i want to see pictures Laughing
wellington womble

They're fenced out at the moment, as I have growers in the garden and the teen roosters are Bothering them, which leaves the poor things cowering in corners*. But before that I used to have to shoo them off the patio chairs and out of the kitchen. They're spoilt rotten and go nuts every time they see me, because I am The Bringer of Mealworms and Breadcrusts.

* the young ladies in question will be considerably bigger than the roosters soon enough. Although possibly not if said roosters continue to indulge in statutory rape! The bigger hens just give them a slap, which they winge about at length. They are so teenager-y!
Mistress Rose

Laughing dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing

the joy of chooks Rolling Eyes
Chez

Arvo and I have Been Out. In Non-Farming Clothes. To Sainsbury's. And Done Shopping. And I only had two fits. I am now on first name terms with the first aiders and the security guards and they are lovely. I'm going to give them a ring before I go in next time so they're ready for me Smile. Mistress Rose

Wow-non-farming clothes! I have clothes for the woods and for going out, what I call my town clothes.

Glad the first aiders were so nice Chez. Pity about the fits. Were they caused by the exitement of wearing non-farming clothes? Laughing
wellington womble

Get you. Non farming clothes. (Be glad you have a school bus. I have taken to doing the school run in my work trousers, and the Playground Ladies are just having to lump it. They have paint on, so they always ask if I am decorating. I say no, I've been greasing the tractor or chainsawing just to see the looks on their faces.) gardening-girl

barrie is safely back from his building trip(jolly) to france. he has brought me back 5k of beautiful apricots. I will be jamming this afternoon. Chez

We have been to the school fete and I have explained to the vicar the difference between the Makaton signs for 'diamond' and 'vagina'. sean

It's good to have a favourite piece of information. Chez

Yes, I often use it as an ice breaker. He's coming to tea on Tuesday. I need to move the beehive out of the conservatory. dpack

Laughing

my jolly for today can be seen in pets and livestock
frewen

I took several yards of weaving from the loom - promptly fulled it down to the size of a postage stamp Rolling Eyes

Once a feltmaker - always a feltmaker Laughing
sean

It's like microfiche for fibres. wellington womble

We have just planted the potatoes. Yes, I know, I know. But we might get a harvest if they're in the ground. We certainly won't in the spare room. Tomorrow, I shall plant out the squash and beans, and sow more broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, kale, beans, carrots and peas. And pot on the very sad tomatoes.

I know they should all have been sown months ago. Many of them were. But the truckload of compost and completion of the tractor have only just been sorted, due to one thing an another. So I was only able to start yesterday. The rotavator on the compact is awesome, half an hour to fit it, three passes with the rotavator (took about ten minutes!) and an hours trenching and backfilling with some lovely compost, and a 10x5 of potatoes are almost magically in the ground. Pity it wasn't possible in April when I ordered the thing. We'd be eating them by now!

Wonder what else I can sow now?!
gythagirl

Eldest and middle sons are both back at the family home ready for their youngest brother's wedding on Thursday Very Happy Mistress Rose

Spent some time yesterday doing a flora survey in the wood. Found a rather nice common spotted orchid, which we get now and again, and spent a lot of time trying to sort our 2 different types of speedwell (pretty sure they are heath and thyme leaved) and several different St. Johns Wort, but failed on that although we think one is H. pulchram dpack

my biggest big boy has reached 1300mm from the planter base to the top and one of the random tomato seedlings has reached 400mm in a few weeks. Very Happy

the big hounds leg is healing nicely from when he cut it on a glass shard while running and smaller hound seems to have got over having two teeth out. Very Happy Very Happy
dpack

my sim card is not dead which is nice as i have had it since 1998.the phone from 2006 is dead but i can get a brand new better one for 25 .

i really dont see the need for a phone to do webbystuff badly so the tech is very good value for making a phone call or sending a text (or getting a dogogram if one gets spooked and takes off into the distance,she knows who i mean)
gardening-girl

I have been to visit Chez and co, I have bought fabric for a new top, and I have bought LOTS of seeds. half price in the local garden centre. dpack

my phone works and the bigboys are still getting bigger and more flowery and starting to gestate baby tomatoes so i recon they must be bigladyboys or they were very misnamed decades ago

this linky leads to an account of their origin

so far i can see why this hybrid has been popular since 1949

one of my randoms is showing some promise ,at least compared to the others which are tiny and show no signs of probable improvement .
Nature'sgrafter

I love the bigboy tomms grew them for the first time last year one grew large enough to use one slice for each sandwich and the taste great. dpack

that is the sort of thing i like to read,at the mo im just amazed at how they do vegetative growth.

i have grown a few things with hybrid vigour and some are rather special but these are amazing compared to any other toms i have grown in the yard.

in full sun i recon they would be very triffid like.
Mistress Rose

Perhaps I ought to try them next year; not a variety I have ever grown.

Managed to sit outside for a while yesterday afternoon and card some alpace fleece. It is very dusty, so has to be carded outside.
dpack

they certainly grow like topsy ,80mm overnight,i looking forward to trying one if it stops growing and starts ripening fruits or i can use it instead of scaff for repointing the roof ridge. sean

Boy Wonder did his guitar exam today. That's him properly finished for the summer now. Smile It's his birthday and prom on Friday.

Jamanda's got her sixth formers' ball this evening so I get to play coachman.
Chez

Arv and I played hookey and spent a couple of hours on the beach with a picnic. It was nice. frewen

I'm glad sports day is over.
I might be a bit burnt and have a headache but I don't have to stand and shout encouraging things at children running in circles for another year Wink
yummersetter

I went with a friend to Hampton Court Flower Show yesterday for the first time since we left London. We had an easy drive up to the Park'n'Ride, rode on a Routemaster bus to Molesley Locks and caught the river ferry up to the show entrance.

The show was lovely as ever, the better side of English life. We felt very contented going back up the river with our bags of plants, distracted at last from the recent catastrophe.
Mistress Rose

Sounds lovely Yummersetter. The best way to go. dpack

tis years since i visited the hcfs but remember it as far more fun than chelsea.

beach picnics are always a good idea(even in a storm if needs be Laughing )

my jolly at the mo is expecting a micro sd card in the post and wondering about the best solution for id tagging the hounds ,the dangly things dont seem to last long as they fall off or wear til unreadable so far tis a decision between stamping the collars(i have suitable punches) or making a couple of plates to rivet on.

ps the biggest big boy grew again Cool
Jam Lady

Determinate tomatoes reach a certain height, stop growing, fruit earlier.

Indeterminate tomatoes can reach 6 to 8 feet tall, will keep on flowering / fruiting, first fruits later than with determinate tomatoes.

Common technique over here is to stop-pinch in mid-summer to force energy into maturing fruit rather than continued production of additional fruit which would not have time to mature.

Have you been pinching back side shoots? Did you add any extra magnesium (Epsom salts = magnesium sulphate) which solanaceous plants really like?
yummersetter

Arv and I played hookey and spent a couple of hours on the beach with a picnic. It was nice.

Keep reading this as you both played hockey. Bully off!
dpack

Determinate tomatoes reach a certain height, stop growing, fruit earlier.

Indeterminate tomatoes can reach 6 to 8 feet tall, will keep on flowering / fruiting, first fruits later than with determinate tomatoes.

Common technique over here is to stop-pinch in mid-summer to force energy into maturing fruit rather than continued production of additional fruit which would not have time to mature.

Have you been pinching back side shoots? Did you add any extra magnesium (Epsom salts = magnesium sulphate) which solanaceous plants really like?

i was planning on taking the top bud out when it reaches the top of the support (about 7 ft) which will be about ten days or so at the rate the big one is growing i will take the side shoot ends when they reach the edges of the space they have which will be soon for the lower ones.
uk folk lore reckons take out the tips after they have set six trusses but i dont think it necessarily applies to hybrid beasts like these as they are likely to need nipping before that if im to keep them in the space they have got .

the mid season thing seems about right and will match my plan (mid summer isnt mid season here as august/sept are often the best weather and due to the aspect my direct half day sunny season is june to early sept.hey ho for a nice south facing slope but i work with what i have so the biggest one of the pair starts 5 ft up a wall Laughing

it has been fed with a high pk npk mix and seaweed extract for minerals but the soil is half guinea pig compost and very high in trace elements but i will consider extra mg.
Slim

Dpack, if you've got such a complete compost I wouldn't bother with the epsom unless you see some Mg deficiency in the leaves.

I've always just let field tomatoes go with two principal leaders (keeping the sucker below the first fruit truss as it tends to be the strongest grower out of the suckers anyway). When I was still at the farm our greenhouse toms were single or double leaders depending upon the combination of rootstock and scion. Either way the plant would keep on growing well beyond 15 feet tall (at that point it's more like long than tall) and would continue to grow if we didn't rip them out. If you've ever seen the book Solviva the author describes cherry tomatoes that she overwintered for four years that were over 30 feet long. http://www.solviva.com/visit_solviva.htm

I've never seen un-topped plants not bearing fruit to my liking, so I've never seen a reason to top them, unless not wanting them to grow past their supports
dpack

more than a foot or so above the top of the wire mesh fixed to the wall which im tying in to i will either need a longer ladder or i will have to artificial it with a bolt route Laughing

perhaps i will go for wide and as tall as the ladder allows,ta.

considering the size these things can get to from what has been said i really want to get a full sun location to try them in a perfect position.the idea of giant tomato plants is rather appealing.

i had not heard of over wintering them although i did have a few through til december one year but they were under plastic on a south facing roof garden.
Slim

considering the size these things can get to from what has been said i really want to get a full sun location to try them in a perfect position.the idea of giant tomato plants is rather appealing.

If you really want to see some vigor, try to get your hands on some 'beaufort' or 'maxifort' rootstock!
dpack

noted,ta.

my best tomato site is about 3ft wide(and i spose the same deep as the beastie spreads forward off the wall) and about 15 ft high to the gutter (as it starts on a shelf about 5ft up the wall).

im going to try to create a cunning plan for next year.

iv'e just done some more tying in to spread the branches to get max light and given them their daily feed.once spread they are about 2/3 wide as tall.

and just at the right time of day the clouds part ... Cool
dpack

the slimey hoard is taking high casualties on warm damp evenings and at the mo the bigboys are enjoying their daily feed in the sun. dpack

i made a jar of pickled garlic in cider vinegar with a chilli,a bit of sea salt and some cumin/mustard seeds.

then we had a garlic themed dinner which was nice.even though the crop was meagre fresh garlic is worth it compared to most shop stuff.

no, i didnt make garlic trifle for pud Laughing
Mistress Rose

Thank goodness for that. I think someone has offered garlic ice cream, I saw somewhere. dpack

there is a huge difference between "offered" and "made a substantial fortune from their garlic ice cream franchises" Laughing

i was "offered"a job on a deep sea trawler heading for the Newfoundland banks but that didnt make me go Rolling Eyes Laughing
Pilsbury

a 19 yo fresh out of the care system posted on Facebook they had just moved into a flat and needed a hand with some tools and help getting the basics sorted.
she moved on Saturday from 100 miles away with her boyfriend and I went round this mornjng and helped them plumb in their washing machine, put some furniture together and roughly lay a carpet over the bare floor.
nice to help people in need sometimes.
Slim

a 19 yo fresh out of the care system posted on Facebook they had just moved into a flat and needed a hand with some tools and help getting the basics sorted.
she moved on Saturday from 100 miles away with her boyfriend and I went round this mornjng and helped them plumb in their washing machine, put some furniture together and roughly lay a carpet over the bare floor.
nice to help people in need sometimes.

Good on ya
sean

Indeed. Pilsbury is ACE. dpack

well done sir Cool joanne

The house across the road has a big cherry tree in the front garden laden with fruit. However no-one currently lives there as it's being done up. So when I saw the owner yesterday, I asked if he would mind if I took some of the cherries. He told me to help myself Smile so I did and these are just the ones that have ripened! There are pounds and pounds still on the tree ripening up!

I'm going freeze the majority of this batch as we finally get married next May and want to do mini pots of home made jam as favours / to be served with the scones for afternoon tea. I'm currently filling the freezer full of fruit and then will have a weekend where I do nothing but make jam Smile

I'm also tempted to make some maraschino cherries from them as I'm addicted to them.

Also going to put some in the dehydrator for dried cherries.

And if i can the Morellos ripened in my back garden before the birds eat them, I might combine the sweet and sour cherries and soak them in kirsch

Going back for some more this evening Very Happy

dpack

very nice,tis a daily task to keep ahead of the birds though Laughing tahir

Morello jam is the best jam, ever. In the entire universe. sean

Morello jam is the best jam, ever. In the entire universe.

Tom Morello jam is the angriest though.
gz

We've been eyeing up the wild cherries here...I think we need a bit more sun to go with the rain Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Home Home Home Home Home