Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
jamanda

On the scrounge

Does anyone have in their stashes any odds and end of the following colours? DK and washable preferably. Will pay postage, collect locally, put on the DS camel train.

red
green
gold
tan
brown
purple
grey

And can you guess what I've got to knit with them?
Rob R

Re: On the scrounge

And can you guess what I've got to knit with them?

A grey squirrel, pretending to be a red squirrel in a green, gold, tan & brown coat, with purple shoes on?
Green Rosie

A red, green, gold, tan, brown, purple, grey thing of course Rolling Eyes
Nell Merionwen

A dr who scarf?
jamanda

A dr who scarf?

That's the one. So any old bits and pieces will do. I can't see it matters if there are two diferent reds or what ever.
cir3ngirl

So it wool you are after Rolling Eyes jamanda

So it wool you are after Rolling Eyes

Or acryllic. I'm not proud!
cir3ngirl

I thought you were after material or embroidery thread as first post does not make it clean to a non knitter. Only worked it out as I read more posts
alison

I can send loads, via the GTJ route if you want. sally_in_wales

I thought you were after material or embroidery thread as first post does not make it clean to a non knitter. Only worked it out as I read more posts

DK usually only means yarn though doesn't it, the word 'knit' in the first post also being a big hint Wink

Almost all my stash is handwash/feltable, or you'd be very welcome to have a virtual rummage in it
marigold

I've got some Patons Diploma Gold DK you can have - red, blue & gold (well, sort of mustard-coloured really). It's nice to knit with & washable Smile jamanda

I've got some Patons Diploma Gold DK you can have - red, blue & gold (well, sort of mustard-coloured really). It's nice to knit with & washable Smile

That sounds ideal Marigold. You're a long way away though, I think post would be the only way unless you're planning to visit the West Country anytime soon.
jamanda

I can send loads, via the GTJ route if you want.

Ali, it would give me an excuse to come up to Ilfracombe and see Verity too! I'll let you know - thanks.

@ Sally - I think your artisinal hand woven stuff would be much too nice to be wasted on a grubby boy's scarf!
marigold

I've got some Patons Diploma Gold DK you can have - red, blue & gold (well, sort of mustard-coloured really). It's nice to knit with & washable Smile

That sounds ideal Marigold. You're a long way away though, I think post would be the only way unless you're planning to visit the West Country anytime soon.

Oh yes, I'll have to post it Smile . If you PM your addy I'll send it off. They aren't full balls, but every little helps Wink .
jamanda

Marigold's parcel turned up today. Many thanks Marigold! Very Happy

So I need to cast on. Can someone with more nous tell me what size needles to use for a gauge of 3.5 to 4 stitches per inch please?
sally_in_wales

Well, an aran on 5mm would come out about 4.5 stitches to the inch for me. What weight yarn are you on, sounds like a chunky pattern, I though you were using dk? Normally, dk yarn on say 3.75mm needles would give maybe 5-6 to the inch, so maybe you need to be trying a 6mm or a bit bigger? Which seems gappy for DK Confused jamanda

Well, an aran on 5mm would come out about 4.5 stitches to the inch for me. What weight yarn are you on, sounds like a chunky pattern, I though you were using dk? Normally, dk yarn on say 3.75mm needles would give maybe 5-6 to the inch, so maybe you need to be trying a 6mm or a bit bigger? Which seems gappy for DK Confused

Yeah I thought that! TBH I don't suppose it matters if it's shorter than the pattern - 7' is a lot of scarf! I think I'll try 5mm and see how it looks.
jamanda

It's an odd pattern! Would two rows of garter stitch give you one ridge? sally_in_wales

It's an odd pattern! Would two rows of garter stitch give you one ridge?

yep
jamanda

Well it's underway. I wonder how long it will take. (You could do it in a weekend I'm sure Sally!) jamanda

Marigold's wool is lovely to knit.

Anyone got any odd bits that aproximate to olive?
chez

No, but I've got a sort of burgandy/olive/khaki mix, if that is any good?

(Have you joined the Tom Baker Fetish Society?)
jamanda

No, but I've got a sort of burgandy/olive/khaki mix, if that is any good?

(Have you joined the Tom Baker Fetish Society?)

Not me. The medium sized one has become a Whovian apparently. I think it needs to be single coloured ta.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home