Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
gz

Onion seeds

We have a few onions running to seed. No complaints, the flowers will be good for the birds and I can save the seed.
What culinary uses are there for onion seeds? Smile
buzzy

You can use them as decoration for home baked bread, or to add flavour to stews, curries etc.

Henry
dpack

nice with fresh mustard seed to make a mustard paste
sean

Good in flat breads and chutneys.
tahir

You can save them
tahir

You can save them
Nick

You can save them

But, they may repeat on you.
buzzy

You can save them

From what?

And suppose they don't want to be saved?

Henry
Slim

If you do go the seed saving route, make sure it's not a hybrid variety, or just be prepared for a mish mash of onion traits ( though it probably wouldn't be a big deal) gz

Seeing as there are four varieties in consecutive blocks😄
The first hasn't run to seed, the next (red) mostly has, one or two of the next one's has and the last one has a few...and that is red onions as well.

Thought we had cracked the growing red onions without them bolting lark... Confused

Thanks all for the suggestions 😊👍
sgt.colon

You can save them

But, they may repeat on you.

Laughing Laughing
Slim

Seeing as there are four varieties in consecutive blocks😄
The first hasn't run to seed, the next (red) mostly has, one or two of the next one's has and the last one has a few...and that is red onions as well.

Thought we had cracked the growing red onions without them bolting lark... Confused

Thanks all for the suggestions 😊👍

Did they go out early enough that they got enough cold to think they were in year two?
gz

We have been autumn planting so that they are ahead when the dry spell comes in, in Spring, and this has been successful.
However a record wet February and record hot and dry April and May...and now we are back to cold wet and very windy 😕....possibly more watering was needed in the dry spell, I don't know.
dpack

cut off the flower buds and eat them is a simple option for bolting onions Wink gz

I'd rather leave them for the insects, but that sounds a good option
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home