Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
spicycauldron

Onions in grow bags?

I've made perhaps the classic beginner's mistake in planting out too many onions and need to remove a fair few to make space so the others get to a decent size.

I was wondering as I'm out of space in the raised beds, and already have a huge collection of pots and repurposed bins outside the back door for potatoes and herbs, can I stick the excess onions into grow bags?
cab

You could, but its a matter of whether its worth it really, paying for growbags for a pretty low value crop. Personally, I plant spare onions out and use them for onion greens; thats probably what I'd do with your thinnings.
spicycauldron

I dunno about the low value... We use a lot of onions! Smile

Good idea about planting them out, presumably to run to seed. I had heard or read somewhere that cats don't like them, and so they might be used to stop our little monsters from digging holes and crapping everywhere they shouldn't?
spicycauldron

As money's tight until the end of the month, and I don't drive and partner wasn't around during the day yesterday, I opted to get a couple of growbags and give them a try. They were a lot cheaper than a huge bale of compost, and easier to carry as well.

I'll see how it goes and if it doesn't work, chalk it up to experience for the future!
Mary-Jane

I've grown onions in pots before quite successfully. I just bunged in some soil from the garden and off they went.
JB

I'd think it's not worth it. Bets price I can get for growbags is about 1.50 but I doubt I'd get 1.50 worth of onions out of the area of a grow bag.
spicycauldron

I think sometimes, especially because I'm a beginner, there's fun to be had in the growing as much as it being about the growing of food. I hope that makes sense! I'm really enjoying sowing seeds, watching the plants grow, making a pond, building the beds, getting more and more into the keeping of poultry... So again, for me, in my situation, I'm kind of glad those onions can continue growing in the bags. Besides, they're all red onions and I really wanted to end up with loads of my own. Of course I can buy them... But that's never the point here on Downsizer, is it? Smile
Jonnyboy

spicycauldron wrote:
I think sometimes, especially because I'm a beginner, there's fun to be had in the growing as much as it being about the growing of food. I hope that makes sense! I'm really enjoying sowing seeds, watching the plants grow, making a pond, building the beds, getting more and more into the keeping of poultry... So again, for me, in my situation, I'm kind of glad those onions can continue growing in the bags. Besides, they're all red onions and I really wanted to end up with loads of my own. Of course I can buy them... But that's never the point here on Downsizer, is it? Smile

Well put. There's the thrifty side to things which is important. And you've learned a lesson for next year. But there's something uncomfortable about throwing away healthy plants you have nurtured yourself.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home