Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Hedonists

Orange Blossom Wine Q.

I've just purchased some dried orange blossom, with which to brew some o.b. wine. I'm only intending to make a gallon at a time, and am a tad confused over the recipes I've seen. Some call for 15g of o.b. whilst others say to use the whole bag.

I have 1 x 50g bag of dried orange blossom and was hoping for some advice as to how much I should use for a single gallon of wine. The thought of possibly getting three gallons from the one bag appeals, but I don't want to sacrifice any flavour.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jema

Last time I think I used 100gm for 5 gallons along with concentrated grape juice. No complaints on the results. In fact I have just bought abotu 200gm more.
cab

I've tasted Jemas orange blossom wine, and I humbly submit that my own is better Smile

Can I reccomend using the whole bag (50g is it?) and using the method and recipe in this article?

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Home_Brewing/Herb_and_Flower_Wines/

p.s. Although I think my orange blossom is better than Jemas, I take my hat off to his carrot whisky!
jema

better maybe!

but i am drinking the last of a bottle of mine now, and I ain't compaining Very Happy
cab

jema wrote:
better maybe!

but i am drinking the last of a bottle of mine now, and I ain't compaining Very Happy

What method did you use with your orange blossom? I ask because the effect was so astonishingly different to mine; yours was kind of rose, almost a table wine, and mine was definitely in the social wine category, with strong flowery and honey flavours. I'd be curious to know what you did with yours.
jema

I think it was this, albeit I added concentrated grape juice as well:

Quote:
Dried Orange Blossom Wine

Ingredients

* 15G dried orange blossom
* 1.25K sugar
* 25G tartaric acid
* 1/2 teaspoon grape tannin
* 1 teaspoon tronozymol nutrient
* Water TO 4.5 Litres
* General purpose yeast

Method

Bring the water to the boil and pour over the blossom, then add the sugar. When cool (21C) add yeast, acid, tannin and nutrient, fit airlock and ferment out. Rack into a clean jar, add 1 Campden tablet and store in a cool place till clear. Mature for a few months in bulk, then bottle and keep a little longer. The wine should be served chilled as an aperitif. It is a dry wine with a delicious bouquet and flavour.

Hedonists

Many thanks for the above advice chaps. Now a couple more Q's Smile

I've not used honey in wine making before and am intrigued by the idea. Using sugar, I normally start with 2lb and feed the third a bit at a time, as a way to help prevent the ferment from sticking. Is this necessary when using honey, or do you normally put all 3lb of honey in at once?

I can't find concentrated grape juice locally. I could order it via the web, but suspect the postage costs would soon start to rack up. I normally use sultanas/raisins instead. I've been thinking about using a litre of grape juice, and wondered whether this quantity would be enough to add sufficient flavour?

Thanks.
cab

Hedonists wrote:
Many thanks for the above advice chaps. Now a couple more Q's Smile

I've not used honey in wine making before and am intrigued by the idea. Using sugar, I normally start with 2lb and feed the third a bit at a time, as a way to help prevent the ferment from sticking. Is this necessary when using honey, or do you normally put all 3lb of honey in at once?

3lb of sugar in a gallon is sweet, at least it is for my money. But 3lb of honey, being a wee bit less sugary than sugar, works a treat.

Plop it in the big pan, with your water and other ingredients that you can heat (wine nutrient, citric acid) and get it almost to the boil; simmer on a low boil till the scum stops coming out from the honey.

Most proper wine yeasts won't stop with 3lb of sugar from the outset; if you're going for a really sweet wine (a dessert wine for example) then adding sugar in stages is a good idea, but otherwise I find it easier to keep a sachet of champagne yeast handy in case one does stick than to always be adding extra sugar later.

Technically if you use honey in this it's a metheglin, but who's counting Smile For some wines honey adds a depth of flavour and richness that really makes the wine special; orange blossom, coltsfoot and cherry are good examples I think.

Quote:

I can't find concentrated grape juice locally. I could order it via the web, but suspect the postage costs would soon start to rack up. I normally use sultanas/raisins instead. I've been thinking about using a litre of grape juice, and wondered whether this quantity would be enough to add sufficient flavour?

Thanks.

Yeah, a litre would do it fine. You don't really even need it in most wines, and as you've found out you can use sultanas or raisins. A litre of a good, full bodied grape juice will add a lot of useful nutrients for the yeast, but you may be a tiny bit short of body in the end wine. To be honest, you'll know whether you like it that way when you've given it a go Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home