Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Wingy

Orchid ID please

Am I right in thinking this is a Northern Marsh Orchid, or have I got that completely wrong? If it is, how common are these? There aren't any growing anywhere nearby that I've come across, not in neighbouring fields or my neighbour's garden. This beautiful but solitary plant has appeared this year for the very first time in the 15yrs that we have been here, growing at the very bottom end of a grassy strip between our two polytunnels. It used to be a field before we erected the polytunnels, and there's a small burn running along the southern edge of our property not too far from where the plant is.

judith

I can't ID it, but it certainly is beautiful.
jamanda

Right time of year for it. It is lovely. There are a few orchid species near where we live and every year I love seeing them pop up.
resistance is fertile

I am no expert but is it not a Green-winged orchid (green-veined) - Anacamptis morio? or maybe an early purple hybrid

We have Early purples and amazing variety of Lady Orchids (plus a suspected Soldier type)
Wingy

I've been researching online this afternoon and it's not a Green-winged Orchid.

http://www.hardyorchidsociety.org.uk/orc-mor3.htm

I'm now thinking it's probably a hybrid, but I have contacted the Hardy Orchid Society to see if they can give a positive ID.

Thanks for your help. Smile
resistance is fertile

Must be my eyesight! Very Happy

They're great aren't they, we haven't got 2 the same in terms of markings.
Nell Merionwen

i am pretty sure it is a common spotted orchid or more likely a southern marsh orchid
they are remarkable and we have a few in the countrypark.
next year you will find you have three or four in the same place and the following year five or six. it seems to go that way.

of course i am sure someone will be along to tell me i am wrong x
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home