Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Mrs Fiddlesticks

order of work - sewing question

i want to make a small purse type bag to hold manicure stuff but can't work out the right order for assembling the finished thing. It will be patchwork/quilting with a zip at the top. When making up would you put the zip in before sewing up the sides and base or do the zip last ( I'm thinking of the ability to turn it right sides out and being able to get at seams or the zip to sew it on the machine as its not going to be particularly big. )

Just can't picture it out.
2steps

I think I would do the zip first, then the sides. If they were any little bits I couldn't get the machine into I'd hand sew them after
Mrs Fiddlesticks

2steps wrote:
I think I would do the zip first, then the sides. If they were any little bits I couldn't get the machine into I'd hand sew them after

i was trying to do the minimum of hand sewing since its years since it could be called neat! But that's what I was wondering but just got stuck.
culpepper

If you did the zip first as suggested,you could still turn it inside out later as you'de just open the zip first and poke the bag bits through the opening or am I being dense here?.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

culpepper wrote:
If you did the zip first as suggested,you could still turn it inside out later as you'de just open the zip first and poke the bag bits through the opening or am I being dense here?.

nope, you're not.. I'd thought of that but still wasn't sure ( not that experienced with zips!) due to neatening of zip ends, and being too bulky to turn neatly. I was being dense in asking as I just got confused. I needed to picture it in my head and couldn't! - ever get that?
2steps

that what I was thinking too. whereas I might be hard to sew the zip into the already made bag, especially with a machine
judith

I've got a book on making patchwork bags - one sounds just as you describe. The order seems to be 1) make patchwork and quilt, 2) sew on binding, 3) tack the zip in place with bag inside out, 4) turn bag right side out and hand sew in place from the wrong side, 5) turn bag inside out again and whipstich the remaining seam closed, 6) hand sew on a lining (if you are using it).

I've looked at the pattern several times now, and it still seems quite confusing. Good luck!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home