Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Treacodactyl

Oscillating Multi Tools

These sort of things: http://www.axminster.co.uk/power-tools/multitools/oscillating-multi-tools

Has anyone used one? I keep seeing them advertised as an essential tool but not wishing to remove a single bathroom tile I've never considered one.

However, I've seen them recommend for cutting plaster for fitting electrical trunking and socket boxes etc and that would be quite useful.

Has anyone got one and do you regularly use it or does it just gather dust? Anyone used them for chasing in tough materials and are the up to the job?

Do they have many other uses?
Hairyloon

They had them in Lidl for a long time. Unless it was Aldi. Confused
tahir

I have this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gop-250-ce-multi-cutter-with-49-accessories-and-l-boxx

The blades are very fine so most cutting jobs take a while, but they do work.
dpack

one tool does many things is a good principle with an axe,with power tools a good one for each task is often sensible.

there are some power tools that can do several things ie one motor /one battery with different heads and in some ways they make sense

some tools are made for similar but for different tasks or materials by using a different tool in the tool holder (dremels ,wrecking saws ,angle grinders, lathes etc)

without trying it on a variety of tasks an opinion on this kit is difficult but it is made to do small cuts and although might be good for thin plywood or a tile it wont do decking plate

best advice is get a hands on test of any tool
dpack

the best multi tool i can think of is a lump of flint Laughing
onemanband

Not owned nor seen one in action, but my thoughts ........

for less money you could buy a branded 4inch grinder and a branded mouse sander.
Recipricating saw might be another alternative that might be used more.
At 250W it's not very powerful so guess will not cut aswell as a 4inch grinder.
I can see potential uses ........... would spray out less dust than a grinder...plunge cutting could be handy......it can cut right into corners.

All things considered - I don't feel the need to own one.
onemanband

Better than this ?
tahir

Not owned nor seen one in action, but my thoughts ........

for less money you could buy a branded 4inch grinder and a branded mouse sander.
Recipricating saw might be another alternative that might be used more.
At 250W it's not very powerful so guess will not cut aswell as a 4inch grinder.
I can see potential uses ........... would spray out less dust than a grinder...plunge cutting could be handy......it can cut right into corners.

All things considered - I don't feel the need to own one.

Yup I think I may have been better off buying a saw and mouse sander.
vegplot

I bought one these the other day. Very good quality.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb415sdr-160w-detail-sander/69658
dpack

Better than this ?

YES flint is ace

although the large hadron collider (between the trawl net and the rhinoceros hide whip) is quite useful on that bit of kit .
dpack

I bought one these the other day. Very good quality.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb415sdr-160w-detail-sander/69658

being sensible i also have a few bits of erbauer kit and although they are a bit rough looking and they are noisy etc they do the job and seem to keep doing the job far longer than the price would suggest .

i know of of few folk who have a variety erbauer kit and it always works .

my low pressure /high volume sprayer was cheaper than alternatives by 3 times , tis a bit noisy but ace at spraying paint

i spose if erbauer made guns they would make ak 47s Laughing

ps i dont work for them but i have used their tools Wink
dpack

ps my wall chaser was 50 and the diamond discs would usually cost more than that etc etc so the fact it works is a bonus Laughing Wink Cool dpack

iirc the tile cutter was also about 50 squid and is a good water /disc tile cutter as well as being ace for cutting rocks and minerals for making stuff with

good call vegplot i had forgotten "single purpose "power tools are available in low cost but decent quality
Treacodactyl

So, only Tahir has actually used one? I'm not after a tool that can do what other tools do best but something that can do what other tools can't. E.g. flush cutting. I've tried an angle grinder for chasing, once and never again. The spinning disk just chucks out too much dust and I can see an oscillating head would be much better.

When I bought my Dremel, many years ago, I wasn't sure how much I'd use it but over the years it's more than paid for itself and often avoids bodging something.
tahir

Ive used it for stuff that I never envisaged I'd needvbitvfor when I bought it so I guess worth it Shan

So, only Tahir has actually used one? I'm not after a tool that can do what other tools do best but something that can do what other tools can't. E.g. flush cutting. I've tried an angle grinder for chasing, once and never again. The spinning disk just chucks out too much dust and I can see an oscillating head would be much better.

When I bought my Dremel, many years ago, I wasn't sure how much I'd use it but over the years it's more than paid for itself and often avoids bodging something.

Mr Shan has a Dremel and he loves it. Flush cutting works a treat. Shortening bolts (don't ask) also works well. He has the flexible arm attachment - very good for getting into awkward spots (used both on the car and the tractor). He even has a chainsaw sharpening attachment. Brilliant.
Mistress Rose

Dremels are useful for lots of things. Husband uses one fairly frequently for odd jobs. No good as a hammer though. (Old advert) Laughing Gervase

I've had a Fein, which was nicked, and have replaced it with a Makita. It's the most-used tool in my kit. The sanding is very efficient and ideal for prepping window frames and detailed areas for painting and for making good filled areas, the grout rake is very handy and the flush-cutting saw is a godsend for lifting floorboards and trimming.
Yes, there are stand-along tools that will do most of these things, but the multi-tool is just there when I need it, and copes with much of what I chuck at it. Other than a decent drill/driver, I can't think of any other power tool I'd rather be without.
perlogalism

I have the Erbauer one from Screwfix. It was bought as I had dozens of sockets to cut holes for in Celotex. For the purpose, it worked fine and I've since used it for flush cutting some doorframes and fine trimming skirting. I have the Grout removing disc but haven't got around to using it yet Rolling Eyes

Not a tool I'll use every day but well worth having in the shed IMHO.

BTW, have a look at Saxton Blades: http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/ They're excellent quality and stupidly cheap Laughing

IF I was buying again, I'd look at a better make purely because you have to get an adaptor to fit Bosch blades on the Erbauer. It's lumpy and doesn't work that well if the blade is being pushed hard.
Treacodactyl

Thank you both for your comments. I'd forgotten about the troubles I've had lifting floorboards in the past, probably worth one just for that. Nick

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=20624&ar=4 Treacodactyl

The Lidl offer was why I asked. If I find it very useful I might buy a Fein, if not it isn't a huge loss. Nick

Then you should know it's far less costly to spunk thirty notes at Lidl and play than to ask this lot. You'll never get a simple answer. Smile sean

Let us know if you find it useful and then I can get one next time they do them. Wink tahir

I just keep getting the urge to edit the title to prefix it with Holy and suffix with Batman, good job I ain't a mod anymore vegplot

You'll never get a sensible answer. Smile Hairyloon

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=20624&ar=10 Gervase

Saxton truly are amazing value. For the price of one Bosch, Makita or Fein blade you can get a whole box of top-class blades. Any power tool is only as good as the blade or bit you fit onto it, and Saxton are as good as or better than OEM in every case. Yes, they really are jolly good - and, no, I have no connection with the company (other than giving them my money)
As for the oscillating tool itself, for floorboards there is simply no better piece of kit.
dpack

floor boards run away from me

holes /chisel

drill screw

bash,lever and hack

other tools are available and i have a large selection some of which will survive me but the ones above are proper kit and are replacements for stuff that has broken over 55 yrs

i recon i should register bash lever and hack as a ltd name with companies house Laughing
dpack

my palm sander is a generic top end kit and cost about 70 it does the job and does not trash my hand unless i attach a vac tube which ruins the balance and makes it growly

a tool used for a few minutes is easy forgotten , a good tool should become be part of your body (not in an a and e way Laughing )

erbaur stuff is rough but functional and surprisingly long lived
dpack

i got my generic circular saw for a tenner about 20 yrs ago and it still has the same carbide tip blade which is still very functional

my generic dremil type tool was also a tenner and is still a good chum

perhaps my point re generics is they might be good or a tenner is a cheap way to decide to get a posh one with a name .
midtown

Got a cheapo rechargeable model while over in France in order to do a couple of plumbing jobs, and it's been fine though the battery life isn't brilliant for extended use.

I bought one of Aldi's mains powered ones, and all I can say is - useless! Managed to burn the motor out with apparent ease.
Good points. Aldi regularly sell the packs of assorted sander pads/blades at a far cheaper price than B&Q.

Recently bought the Bosch multi-tool at a Homebase store having a closing down clearance sale, and reputedly the models as sold by Lidl are in fact manufactured by Bosch.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home