Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
dpack

out now

hawthorn leaves
raspberry leaves
nice
gil

hawthorn just coming into leaf here, but not rasps yet.
cab

And blackcurrant leaves, flowering currant flowers, wild garlic, rape, chickweed, sorrel, alexanders, three cornered leek, lesser celandine... So much wild salad!
vegplot

Plum blossom is out.
wildfoodie

I have to recommend bramble shoots the young tight leaf buds which may have blunt baby spines - steamed and buttered they have a delicious nutty flavour Smile
my ground elder patch is going mental! the more I pick the faster it grows!
sally_in_wales

will have to try bramble shoots, sounds like poetic justice to me!
toggle

dandelion flowers
gil

Ground elder : fantastic sweated with a bit of oil, and some ramsons chucked in at the end.... In full swing here
jamanda

We had ground elder and ramsom saag the other day, and the same in salad tonight. I rootled around under the ramsons to get the tiny little leaves that I assume are seedlings from last years seeds as well as a few of the bigger leaves.
jamanda

Also out, as Cab mentioned, celandines

This year's sloe gin

And this year's crab apple wine and jellies

Lastly a gratuitous picture of Commons Lake (that's what the stream is called)
Slim

How do you folks fix your raspberry leaves? (never tried eating them...)

-and is there an easy way to search through the recipes without searching through the whole sight?
wildfoodie

Quote:
ow do you folks fix your raspberry leaves? (never tried eating them...)

ahh just worked out what you mean - how do you prepare them for eating?
sorry, I was thinking stakes, poles and wires in the garden....
none of which I bother with...
young leaves I sometimes put into a mixed pot of greens as a veg
or I might make a tea with them. Smile
dpack

tip leaves of r's are ace as salad ,or as a tea drink (eat the pulp Wink )

local this week ,my new to foraging mate next door found all within 200 yards , nettle tips ,hazel catkins ,watercress ,hawthorn tips ,elder tips

my nicest forage moment was grazing hands free on a Hawthorne in a messy brownfield wood , listening to the small birds and admiring the woodpeckers ways with bugs and opening rotting pencil sycamore with their beaks
im short of shrooms but have a few more bags of velvet shanks in the freezer Laughing
Stacey

What can you do with hawthorn leaves?
dpack

salad delux when very fresh and green
cook as soft greens / subtle flavouing herb
poultice for skin wounds /shrap /splinters
ace used as stuffing if you are lucky enough to get a woodie that has been eating them and has a crop full
a bit of a tangent but the r's round here did not do big fruit crop last year but they did grow double size canes so im hoping this year will be lots of fruit
dpack

as a flavour in subtle wine
Stacey

I wish I was good at making wine Sad

I had the nicest bottle of wine ever from an Asda in Aberdeen. It was an Oak leaf wine from some Scottish firm who make all sorts of nice sounding wines. Gil might know who they are.

My wines always go wrong Sad
dpack

gil's wine is ace
Stacey

I'm sure it is. If I had the money I'd have cases of it delivered.
I might even bath in it Wink
Stacey

The stuff we call wild garlic down here isn't really wild garlic. It looks kind of like a Spanish Bluebell but white and with the flowers all down one side - not spiralled. It has a triangular stem and looks like an allium but it doesn't have he 'spray' of flowers thst noramal wild garlic does Confused
dpack

better value than imported ,not expensive at the quality
making ok wine is a matter of recipie and hygine
great wines ,like gil's need skill
Stacey

My skills lie elsewhere
dpack

mine too
tahir

Loads of garlic mustard about at ours
Minamoo

Stacey wrote:
The stuff we call wild garlic down here isn't really wild garlic. It looks kind of like a Spanish Bluebell but white and with the flowers all down one side - not spiralled. It has a triangular stem and looks like an allium but it doesn't have he 'spray' of flowers thst noramal wild garlic does Confused

Sounds like three cornered leek which is also edible and quite lovely too!
gil

Stacey wrote:
I had the nicest bottle of wine ever from an Asda in Aberdeen. It was an Oak leaf wine from some Scottish firm who make all sorts of nice sounding wines. Gil might know who they are.

Cairn O'Mohr in Perthshire : they do a Spring Oak Leaf with elderflowers, and an Autumn Oak Leaf with apples
They also do an Oak Leaf and Elderflower sparkling wine, which sounds like a good combo.
gil

dpack wrote:
better value than imported ,not expensive at the quality
making ok wine is a matter of recipie and hygine
great wines ,like gil's need skill

Thank you Very Happy
jamanda

Stacey wrote:

That's what the rest of us call three cornered leek.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home