Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Bodger

Out of bed like a shot!

We spent yesterday getting the cider room ready for the coming season and during a general declutter, high up on a shelf covered in cobwebs, I found the old Skinner Moth Trap that we made a few years ago. ( a quick DS search for moth trap will reveal all) and so last night, we set it up out in the garden.
For those who don't know, the trap uses a very bright mercury light to bring the night flying insects in and into it.
This morning, as I lay in bed snoozing, it suddenly dawned on me that I could hear rain. Now ! Shocked rain and a hot mercury light bulb is not a winning combination, so like a shot, I was out of bed with wellies and dressing gown on and I was across the garden to retrieve the trap.
The Skinner and its occupants are now residing on the kitchen island.
I wont disturb the trap until the rest of the household are awake but I can already see that I have two different hawk moths in there. They are both species that I've recorded here before but who knows what else there might be lurking in there? Both you and I will have to wait to find out until at least two cups of tea in bed have been consumed. Rolling Eyes
Tavascarow

Something I keep meaning to do.
I do leave a light on & a window open to tempt them sometimes but nowhere near as effective as a mercury vapour lamp.
sean

Bodger must have had his tea by now, surely?
Bodger

Better late than never. I got three of these.

and just the one of these. These two are the same species of hawk moth that I catch every summer. I really would like to think that I might add a third one this year. Our usual camera is now kaput, could anyone recommend an idiot proof one that would take better pictures of these beautiful moths

I caught quite a few smaller moths, including this one. You can see what I mean about needing a new camera.

bagpuss

For an idiot proof camera I do like my Sony

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCWX350-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00IWC3L5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403014325&sr=1-2&keywords=Sony+DSCWX350+Compact+Digital+Camera

20x zoom and very easy to use with some nice automatic scene detection features

I get the impression that the lower zoom, cheaper model is also very good
Bodger

Thanks for the link. I'll get the brains of the family to have a look at it. thumbup
dpack

nice moths

re the camera thing im an idiot and have killed a couple of sony ones

canon sure shot is what i recommend,we have 2(out of about 20 various cameras) in the household and both do the job and have lasted well

i have used various canon models as my big camera for 25 yrs and they are robust,easy to use and do give good value what ever the price
bagpuss

nice moths

re the camera thing im an idiot and have killed a couple of sony ones

canon sure shot is what i recommend,we have 2(out of about 20 various cameras) in the household and both do the job and have lasted well

i have used various canon models as my big camera for 25 yrs and they are robust,easy to use and do give good value what ever the price

I suspect anyone can kill a compact camera, my mum moved to sony as she has killed her last couple of canons
dpack

my last sony died from taking a picture of a sunrise which cooked the chip Rolling Eyes
previous was a fall of a metre onto carpet which shook the lenses out of place.

canons have lived in the woods ,fallen 4 metres through the floor in a cloud of rubble with me in a tin mine and the sureshot has survived as a pocket camera for6 yrs so far
MornieG

Whilst I appreciate the photos I hate moths, especially trapped in a room at night with me in it !!!! sorry Sad

On the camera front our local photographer praised my little Fuji Finepix S1500, there is a newer version now. The supermacro is brilliant for real close ups. Not over sophisticated but produces good photos from someone who is definitely no David Bailey.

Click to see full size image

Mo.XX
gz

We had a Humming Bird Hawk Moth in Nantlle mid 80s - not usual but it was an exceptional summer.

Beautiful moths Smile
Mistress Rose

We sometimes get humming bird hawk moths but we are a long way south of you. They are amazing feeding off the buddleia flowers.
Nick

Make sure you ask Treac about his camera. Whatever it is, the shots are *always* marvellous.
Treacodactyl

Make sure you ask Treac about his camera. Whatever it is, the shots are *always* marvellous.

Thank you. I mostly use a cheap and simple Samsung ES28 (12mp, 5x zoom) but it's the person behind the camera that matters. Cool Laughing

Seriously, with the amount of room on a memory card I just try and take several pictures of the subject and pick the best one. Quite often out of five pics one or two will be slightly out of focus, another blurred etc.

I also don't over zoom in, then crop the image and then sharpen as that makes the picture look better on a PC monitor.
dpack

fuji x10 has a good reputation on our house but it has been treated in a ladylike manner (unlike my cameras which need to be rather robust) Nick

Thank you. I mostly use a cheap and simple Samsung ES28 (12mp, 5x zoom) but it's the person behind the camera that matters. Cool Laughing

Seriously, with the amount of room on a memory card I just try and take several pictures of the subject and pick the best one. Quite often out of five pics one or two will be slightly out of focus, another blurred etc.

I also don't over zoom in, then crop the image and then sharpen as that makes the picture look better on a PC monitor.

You're right, of course, but, yes, I like your shots.
dpack

yep use the macro setting and get in close

try not to get bitten by the critter Laughing
Bodger

I forgot to tell you that we eventually got that new camera. We ended up with a dinky little Panasonic Lumix DMC235 20x full HD. I think that the pictures we're getting with it are much clearer and crisper than with the old camera. There's also a lot less hassle getting it to focus.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home