Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Nick

Owl nest boxes.

I've got several tall trees which might work well for siting nest boxes in, and I'd very much like to encourage them, even if they are noisy beggars at night.

Would I be better off going for a barn owl, which are round here, but rare (locally), or little owls, which seem to be here in decent numbers, but are rare elsewhere?

Or is it going to be a very site specific question?

http://www.habitataid.co.uk/ prompted me to ask. It's been something I've meant to do for about a million years.
Gilbert Jessop

Bit of both, I'd think. Barn Owls need more open sites but take to boxes well, so if it's not wooded around you I'd have a preference for them (aesthetically I just think they're stunning). From personal experience, though (!) the young are very rackety, so if the site is near to houses I'd go for Little Owls...
Nick

We're not in a wood, but there's lots of trees. The odd copse, a disused canal which is like a long, thin wood, and ancient hedgerows with huge trees in it, if you see what I mean.

Maybe I'll do both. Smile
Treacodactyl

Nick wrote:
Maybe I'll do both. Smile

That's what I would suggest.

Anyone know how far apart they would need to be to prevent one from disturbing the other?
Tavascarow

Have you got little owls in your area?
If they aren't geographically situated where you are it's a waste of time siting a box apart from other birds & mammals using it.
Here is a link to the rspb plan for an exterior barn owl box.
Nick

Tavascarow wrote:

Yeah, loads. They party like lunatics most nights round here, and hang about on gates during the day sometimes. Never tire of them, tho. Smile
Penny Outskirts

Nick wrote:
Tavascarow wrote:

Yeah, loads. They party like lunatics most nights round here, and hang about on gates during the day sometimes. Never tire of them, tho. Smile

Do they wear hoodies too?
Tavascarow

Nick wrote:
Tavascarow wrote:

Fantastic!
Very rare here.
Never seen one in my life.
Very healthy tawny owl population & the occasional barn owl but no little owls.
Very Happy
Bodger

There are loads of plans on the internet for the various species. I think I'm right in saying that tawny owls are more likely to use your owl boxes. The Barn owls that I've seen nesting seem to use platforms in out of the way places in farm buildings.
Its something thats well worth doing.

I see little owls quite regularly hunting for worms when I'm out lamping for rabbits.
wellington womble

What about tawnies? They make proper owl noises, and sound like they might like your area.

We've got lots of noisy little owls, often see then around. They cackle a lot when they catch mice in the garage (I'd quite like to see if they could manage to get at little beggars in the kitchen, actually)

Wiggly wigglers sell a whole range of locally made boxes, and have some good advice, iirc. Local to you as well, I think?
LynneA

Might be worth putting some bat boxes up as well.

We're thinking of putting boxes on the trees in the back garden, if only I can conquer my vertigo to do so. If we can get bats to roost, it would be a good argument to use next time the house we back on to tries to submit another planning application.
Gilbert Jessop

Quote:
Wiggly wigglers sell a whole range of locally made boxes, and have some good advice, iirc. Local to you as well, I think?

Do me a favour! Wink
Annette H

The Barn Owl Trust came and put some boxes here about 10 years ago. The little owl box has never been used.

The two barn owl boxes have been used by doves a few times but last year for the first time the barn owls raised three chicks. Many happy hours were wasted watching them Very Happy We still see them around occasionally.

The boxes are checked twice a year by the trust and and maintenance jobs are carried out by them as I believe the owls are protected.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home