Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Mrs Fiddlesticks

packaging for lunch boxes

I'm trying to be mindful of the packaging I use when doing up the boys lunchboxes. Sarnies and cake are in foil (its a 100% recycled one) and if they have something like cheese and biscuits or pasta salad then I use a small washable margarine tub. But its the little things like a few cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks or raisins that I have to turn to the small plastic bags for. Another marg tub wouldn't fit in their boxes. So does anyone know a supplier of food grade paper bags? I've done a little Googling but they're all commercial companies with minimum quantities of 1000's - 50 at a time would last ages.

Or any other suggestions?
moongoddess

I put things like that in loose - am I a bad mother Confused Laughing

I would try eBay for the bags; I think the food co-ops sell products like the bags if you are a member.

Other than that, what about asking a friendly green grocer to 'sell' you some paper bags (or nick them from the mushroom section of your supermarket Twisted Evil )

other idea is to go for one of those diddy plastic boxes - a margarine sized tub sounds quite large to me for things like carrot sticks / cherry toms (maybe I'm a *really* bad mother and only make small carrot sticks Laughing Laughing )

good luck with your searches
mg x
moongoddess

these any good? You could share them with someone..........

eBay
Mrs Fiddlesticks

moongoddess wrote:
I put things like that in loose - am I a bad mother Confused Laughing

I would try eBay for the bags; I think the food co-ops sell products like the bags if you are a member.

Other than that, what about asking a friendly green grocer to 'sell' you some paper bags (or nick them from the mushroom section of your supermarket Twisted Evil )

other idea is to go for one of those diddy plastic boxes - a margarine sized tub sounds quite large to me for things like carrot sticks / cherry toms (maybe I'm a *really* bad mother and only make small carrot sticks Laughing Laughing )

good luck with your searches
mg x

I've tried loose, but the bags get put in a general class box and most kids are none too careful how they fling the boxes about. I've discovered my kids won't eat bruised stuff and washing the bags out afterwards is horrid ( they've got the fabric type and the 'bits' get in to the seams and I just can't get it clean. Then I end up having to buy a new bag Confused
Mrs Fiddlesticks

moongoddess wrote:
these any good? You could share them with someone..........

eBay

oh well done, thanx for that. Now why didn't that come up under my search Rolling Eyes Good price to, must speak nicely to him who holds the e-bay account - or scarily get my own... Twisted Evil
hedgewitch

Goodness Direct do some biodegradable food/freezer bags
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/HB.html
They only seem to have medium and large, although I was sure I'd bought a small size from them.

Another suggestion is the "Lock & Lock" boxes you can buy from Lakeland (see the "Food Storage" section). They come in very small sizes and I use the tiny one to carry dips or dressings and a slightly bigger one for veg crudites to dip. They are excellent quality, and definately lock tight, so no spills!

Eeeek! Think I'm turning into a housewife Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing
hedgewitch

sorry - meant to say Lakeland is at http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/

maybe i'm not the bundle of efficiency i feared i was Laughing Wink
Penny Outskirts

hedgewitch wrote:

You'll be holding tupperware parties next Very Happy

Confused Do they still happen - I'd quite like to hold one/go to one Embarassed
Mrs Fiddlesticks

I have got some lock and lock boxes of the larger size at least ( I spend enough at Lakeland already Laughing ). I have tried tiny boxes in the past but the smaller they are it seems the less likely they are to return home with the lids.. Rolling Eyes
hedgewitch

Penny wrote:
hedgewitch wrote:

You'll be holding tupperware parties next Very Happy

Confused Do they still happen - I'd quite like to hold one/go to one Embarassed

Oh no! Now you've done it! My Mum used to host Tupperware parties, and I did used think, aged 7, one day I'll be grown up and then I'll be able to have MY OWN Tipperware party Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

We got a "gift"of glasses that nearly matched the free glasses we got from the garage! Oh don't you miss the 1970s? Rolling Eyes
judith

hedgewitch wrote:
We got a "gift"of glasses that nearly matched the free glasses we got from the garage! Oh don't you miss the 1970s? Rolling Eyes

Laughing
I used to love carefully tearing up and sticking the sheets of Green Shield stamps in the books.
I only recently demoted to dog towels some towels that my Dad got from the garage back then. There's quality for you!
jamsam

i have atupperware box that my grandma bought in the 1060's when dad first moved to londan..it had cake in it! and it still does to this day! the box goes to all our scout camps and has become a bit of a celebrity! so hads the 1960's flowery cream craker tin that was my grandad's!
judith

Hope it isn't the same cake Laughing
jamsam

doubt it! but some o fthe crumbs are suspicious...ewwwww
dpack

im sure i have seen a washable lunchbox with sealable compatments ,somewhere , the lid seals all the pots in one go .
pound lands often have boxes in a box
wellington womble

Lakeland (sorry Julie!) Do boxes with compartments in - would they be worth a go?

My veg comes in compostable 'plastic' bags. Perhaps you can get them somewhere - the box scheme people are so helpful, I'm sure they would supply some. I'll look at the brand later on.
hedgewitch

judith wrote:
hedgewitch wrote:

Laughing
I used to love carefully tearing up and sticking the sheets of Green Shield stamps in the books.
I only recently demoted to dog towels some towels that my Dad got from the garage back then. There's quality for you!

Oh yes -- my Gran had greenshield stamps and co-op stamps and, I think, something from cigarettes. We grandchildren used to be on a strict rota for being abe to choose a present from the differnt catalogues as she got enough stamps for something Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home