Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
perlogalism

Paint for exposed purlins?

I've got some exposed roof beams which need re-painting. Any thoughts on the best sort of (black) stuff to use? Ideally it's got to last a good few years as I don't want to be that high up a ladder more often than I have to Smile
derbyshiredowser

I've always used Sandtex one coat exterior gloss, its easy to use and no peeling on the gables after 8 years.
crofter

Butinox is my favourite, lasts 5+ years between coats, but expensive.
onemanband

If it's bare wood I'd use a good quality(eg Sadolin classic) ebony wood stain. Easier to apply then gloss and will soak in.
If it's already glossed then stick with a quality exterior gloss, eg Dulux
If you don't want to redo in a few years don't buy own brand or budget paint.
perlogalism

Thanks all. It's already painted with what I assume is a gloss paint so I'll just replace that.
vegplot

See what the condition the exposed ends of purlins are in. If they've started to rot then avoid covering them with a non-breathable paint.
perlogalism

See what the condition the exposed ends of purlins are in. If they've started to rot then avoid covering them with a non-breathable paint.

There's certainly some rot. What do you suggest instead of gloss paint then?
vegplot

There's certainly some rot. What do you suggest instead of gloss paint then?

Treat the rot with a boron solution (http://www.boron.org.uk/) and if possible inject it into the end grain.

As for paint that is a good question. My preference would be for several coats of limewash mixed with tallow but you may need to repaint every few years. If you want a longer lasting solution you may need to use a non-breathable paint but take the risk of further rot which is not desirable given the role of the purlin.
crofter

Butinox is breathable.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home