Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Cathryn

Painting a wooden floor

What paint would you recommend?

It is for a bedroom, not too much heavy wear and I would love to get it done soonish, so if there is something that goes on in one coat yet still gives a good finish...

Yeh, I know, dream on. Smile
sean

We bought floor paint from Homebase (I think), can't remember the brand name. It really, really stinks when you're applying it and appears to be off the top of the volatile CFCs scale. Given the amount of prep work that you have to do to get a decent paint finish I reckon you'd be better off sanding and sealing.
woodsprite

Or using a watered down silk emulsion to give a limewash effect. That's what we've done over the years after struggling to try and paint floors.
Cathryn

Trouble is, there's a black edge all around the room that is unlikely to come off (I think the linoleum was laid and this was it's border). It is probably a woodstain. We will haev another go at it and then maybe hire a sander (or as Jamanda suggested get someone in as it works out at about the same price in the end).

I did notice one floor paint that said it was low odour.
gil

If the black edge is evenly wide all the way round, why not keep it as a decorative feature ? If you did the limewash look for the middle part, you could have a 'fashionably distressed' look to the floor. Or cover up parts with rugs and furniture.
Cathryn

I am tending that way. Smile It was the L shaped room you slept in. It is quite a slab of floorspace that would need covering with rugs and I cannot afford it at the moment.
gil

How asbout those thick cotton dhurries ? ISTR they were quite cheap. Other possibility for cheap flooring for covering up lino / floorboards is the rush matting / sisal type stuff, some of which comes in panels of 6 squares, and you join them together [or don't and they ruck up] - they do shed fibres, but it is easily brushed up.
Cathryn

They are quite cheap in Ikea aren't they. Wink

Jack has just gone and checked and the black will apparently come off the floor. I can feel hard work ahead.
gil

Cathryn wrote:
They are quite cheap in Ikea aren't they. Wink

Ikea didn't exist in those days Shocked . Can;t remember where I got them from; 'twas when I moved into my first council flat, and had to furnish on a tight budget and in a hurry. It was a very small flat though.
Shan

We used polyvine http://www.polyvine.com/products/show/all and then coated it with ronseal clear varnish.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home