Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
sean

Painting sash windows question.

I know about the sliding up and down stuff, and what order to paint bits in. In the olden days of single glazing and putty you were advised to paint 2mm out onto the glass, does that still hold true with these new-fangled double glazed windows?
Mary-Jane

Oooooh - I'd better get Gervase on to this Sean...he'll probably start wittering about linseed oil and the like. Rolling Eyes
Northern_Lad

I hope you're using a breathable paint; not this modern, mass-produced gloss stuff.

How are the panes held in place?
sean

By the frames mainly. There appears to be a bead of silicon sealant type stuff between the glass and the wood.
MarkS

How is the glass fixed in place?

With DG units you have to be careful about the seals. Lots of things will cause them to deteriorate and you end up with misting in the panel.

With DG you dont generally use putty - usually either a rubber-type seal or compressible glazing tape between the dg unit and the wood.

I always understood that painting onto the glass was just to give a straight neat edge onto the not neccessarily straight putty, which isnt needed if you have the rubber or tape seal.

I'm sure Gervase will give suitable info on linseed oil paints (holkam/rose of jericho/etc)
MarkS

must type faster!
Mary-Jane

Northern_Lad wrote:
I hope you're using a breathable paint; not this modern, mass-produced gloss stuff.

Particularly if you don't want to look out of the said windows one afternoon, to see a strange bearded man, dressed in scratchy wool tweeds, standing staring at your windows with a very cross look on his face and an accordian in his hands... Wink
sean

Mary-Jane wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

Particularly if you don't want to look out of the said windows one afternoon, to see a strange bearded man, dressed in scratchy wool tweeds, standing staring at your windows with a very cross look on his face and an accordian in his hands... Wink

This is North Devon, that sort of thing happens all the time whatever sort of paint you use.
Northern_Lad

Mary-Jane wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

Just prey he's clothed.
Gervase

Advice can be found here
DG units tend not to use putty because it's said to react with the mastic that holds the spacers in the DG unit. Whether this is true or not is open to debate, as linseed oil paint seems to have no deleterious effect. And linseed oil paint is absolutely the best stuff to use on wood. It may look wincingly expensive, but a little goes a long way, and you won't have to repaint again for maybe 10 years (just rub some linseed oil into the surface every three years or so to 'feed' it).
Northern_Lad

Once coated with linseed oil, could you play cricket with them?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home