Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
sunnyside

pair cream legbar birmingham

one pair cream legbar(blue egg chickens) for sale. hen is 4 weeks old on saturday, cock will be 3 weeks old. £12 as a pair. mareks vaccinated. can be kept till off heat if required but would prefer if could be collected now as a bit overrun! nice strong big chicks. Birmingham.
sunnyside

[/img]

not the greatest photo-flash has altered colours somewhat but u get the idea! hen is bigger as one week older. parents and other eggs laid by parents can be seen.
Cathryn

Ahh Sunnyside - I would like a bantam blue egg layer, and a green egg layer and a brown egg layer. My eggs didn't hatch - very disappointed much to my surprise as I thought I was more pragmatic than that. I will try again though sometime (soon I hope) and am promised a miscellaneous bunch of chicks this weekend Rolling Eyes Laughing
sunnyside

Well not bantam but in a few weeks will be able to offer white pullets laying pastel blue and cream ones with ginger bits that should lay greeny.. would offer now but only comming up to 4 weeks so sexing is a bit hit or miss. will also have stunningly beautiful pure white cockerels that carry the blue egg gene-these are half cream legbar half white star and will pass on the ability to lay blue eggs to 50% of their offspring. the cockerels will be free to good home although a small contribution towards their mareks vaccination would be appreciated!

I have 2 of those white cockerel chicks identified now if anyone would like=they really are very beautiful and it would be a shame for them to end up as dinner when the crowing starts.... I should really cull now as I have figured those 2 but just haven't the heart too until I absolutly have to. Even now as 4 week growers they are stunning, huge comb, pure white feathers, massive tails and funny tuft of punk hair cut at the head!

this is a photo from a few days ago. the combs and tails have got bigger since.
sunnyside

a better photo-these boys are too handsome for pot!
Cathryn

They are great - i hope they get a home where they can strut their stuff. (We cannot keep cockerels neighbours would not be happy!)
Andy B

How do you get on with cockrells in a built up area, noise wise.
sunnyside

with differculty. Thats why as soon as growers get to crow they get chop if haven't found a home. I have one adult cream legbar cockerel and he is VERY VERY loud but he is also really good and if he crows more then a few times in daytime that is it. He does however wake up at about 4.30am and crow solid till 8am. thus he goes in a home made soundproofed cockerel box under the stairs every night! When I let the hens out I turn on the light in his box(which is in fact like a small hen house) and then he can eat/drink and shout his head off silly until a more social hour. I put him out at about 8..30 when most people have gone to work. sundays he stops in a bit longer or else I make sure I'm in earshot in the morning to hush him if he starts letting rip.
as it stands my neighbours are unlucky if they hear more then a few crows per day and that is always at a sociable hour.
he has been more frequent crowing this last week but I think he has the spring in his blood and hope he will settle down again soon.
Andy B

sunnyside wrote:
with differculty. Thats why as soon as growers get to crow they get chop if haven't found a home. I have one adult cream legbar cockerel and he is VERY VERY loud but he is also really good and if he crows more then a few times in daytime that is it. He does however wake up at about 4.30am and crow solid till 8am. thus he goes in a home made soundproofed cockerel box under the stairs every night! When I let the hens out I turn on the light in his box(which is in fact like a small hen house) and then he can eat/drink and shout his head off silly until a more social hour. I put him out at about 8..30 when most people have gone to work. sundays he stops in a bit longer or else I make sure I'm in earshot in the morning to hush him if he starts letting rip.
as it stands my neighbours are unlucky if they hear more then a few crows per day and that is always at a sociable hour.
he has been more frequent crowing this last week but I think he has the spring in his blood and hope he will settle down again soon.

Thought so, oh well its a no for the birds then, sorry.
sunnyside

andy-will have pullets available in about a month. white ones like the cockerels in the photo that should lay big pastel blue eggs, cream with brown ones that will lay green. am taking reservations if you pm me you phone number. they will be £9 each -prefer sold in pairs as will need to grow away from adult hens(as adult hens would make mincemeat of them-and not nice spending a couple of months in solitary! won't have very many and can't supply until sexable at about 10 weeks old as don't want to sell someone a cockerel by accident.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home