Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
earthyvirgo

Pandan Leaf?

I'm thinking of trying a Sri Lankan recipe for a Chana Dahl and Spinach dish which calls for Pandan Leaf - I don't know what it is, think it's unlikely I'll get any in Bangor and wondered if there was an alternative ingredient.

Thanks, EV
tahir

Never heard of it but v interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus
earthyvirgo

Never heard of it but v interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus

"Pandan has a very unique taste that is quite difficult to pin down. For me, it's like a mixture of the sweetness of coconut with a hint of citrusy, nutty flavor and...how shall i put this...kind of grassy tang to it. You'd have to taste it to get the general idea, I guess Smile It's a great ingredient, though, very easy to like. Pandan jelly, in particular, has a very refreshing taste."

I'm just wondering if our Chinese food shop might have it. They have a lot of Malaysian products, so maybe Sri Lankan too ...
It doesn't sound like anything else I have in the food cupboard.

EV
vegplot

It's not chips tonight then?
earthyvirgo

It's not chips tonight then?

Dahl and chips?
Sounds like a well-balanced meal to me Smile

EV
dpack

pan is a good wrapping for betel nut as it is betel leaf

you might be lucky in bangor but you probably need a tamil themed shop which imports fresh stuff .has bangor got a tamil community ?

here might be easier
earthyvirgo

pan is a good wrapping for betel nut as it is betel leaf

you might be lucky in bangor but you probably need a tamil themed shop which imports fresh stuff .has bangor got a tamil community ?

I somehow doubt it.

here might be easier

Ooo, that looks like a danger zone ... Smile

EV
dpack

ps i rather like betel especially wrapped in pan with a few aniseeds and a bit of lime skin Wink dpack

the downside

betel has had a bad reputation as a constant habit for ages but this article might really make one avoid the stuff.

i suspect the chewing tobacco in the leaf wraps should take a fair bit of the blame but betel does have at least some bad properties .
Graham Hyde

We have two types of pandan here. Took these photos this a.m.
Photos 1 & 2 are as described in an earlier post,

photo 3 is also called pandan and used to flavour rice. If you chew a raw leaf just an intense grass taste.
When cooked with rice my thoughts on eating it are 'green', does that make sense?

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home