Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Treacodactyl

Paraffin Greenhouse Heater

I'll probably heat the greenhouse this year as it would help get a start with the veg and it's time to plant out my banana to see what she can do this year. Very Happy

I have a heater but do any plants dislike paraffin fumes? I know you need to ventilate the greenhouse and I will not put my chickens in there when its been on, but could the fumes hurt delicate plants?
mrutty

I've started this on two3five, but haven't finished (tonight I hope). Will be a Masterclass on RC. We could be cheeky and harvest the ideas and produce a reference item here.

I've always thought it sad that the Masterclasses didn't get made into something more useful. The Jam making one would have been a good one.
Treacodactyl

I have mine built (and a couple of old inherited house heaters). Look forward to the masterclass, does it cover what plants like paraffin heating and what ones don't? Are plants that fussy. Confused
mrutty

I don't know of any veg that gets upset by paraffin. Flowers I would have a clue
Sarah D

As long as the heaters are in good working order and kept clean and maintained, they will work correctly, and shouldn't hurt the plants in any way, either vegetables or flowers - as long as there is adequate and regular ventilation. I wouldn't let the chickens near them, though.
Sarah D

By the by, I thought the Masterclasses were a good idea, but needed clearer and stronger leadership. The marmalade one went very well, but the following ones weren't well-supported even though folks had said what they would like to do, then failed to join in really. Up to them, we did as much as we could vis a vis encouragement, ideas, etc.
tahir

Sarah D wrote:
I thought the Masterclasses were a good idea, but needed clearer and stronger leadership.

I don't think anyone could disagree with that.
Tristan

Four years growing flowers and veg and I've not had anything keel over due to paraffin fumes, theres always the odd exception tho.
Keep the wick trimmed, don't let it smoke, use filtered paraffin and you should be fine. More winter losses are caused by too much water than anything else (damage to the rootball due to frost heave)

Tristan
mrutty

http://www.two3five.com/food.htm

I'm not going to get to finish the whole masterclass tonight. Can some one check the link and then post on RC for me please.

I'm happy for anything from two3five to be lifted and shifted to here, just refer to it for me Very Happy Sean has already made use of the log making stuff.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home