Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Dani

Parsnip Chips

I am looking for a good recipie for parsnip chips. Like potato crisps, but made with parsnips instead.

I have been looking. there seems to be two types of method. Drying or frying.

Before I get myslef all dirty and massacarre some parsnips, I thought it wise to ask some knowledgeable pleople their advise.(I have been told that flattery will get me everywhere)
Smile
Snowball

Hi Dani.
Both methods work well.. With frying, the oil needs to be very hot. You almost just dip them in the hot oil and they are done. Drain and eat straight away to keep the crispness.
Can also be done in a dehydrator or an oven. I find that the texture is chewier with the drying methods.
Barefoot Andrew

My latest batch of (fried) parsnip chips were a touch on the chewy side, but that's probably because they were too chunky. I've had more success in making them crisp-like when slicing them like crisps.
A.
Dani

how did you do that? Use a potato peeler?
did you fry them in any seasoning? or just as is?
Barefoot Andrew

No, I faffed about with a super sharp knife. It was a bit of a faff too.

I've fried mine just in hot oil (sometimes sesame oil), and then seasoned afterwards.

I could eat some now in fact.
A.
RichardW

Snowball wrote:
Hi Dani.
With frying, the oil needs to be very hot. You almost just dip them in the hot oil and they are done. Drain and eat straight away to keep the crispness.
Can also be done in a dehydrator or an oven. I find that the texture is chewier with the drying methods.

I would use less hot oil just the same as regular crisps. Then cook for longer to get them crisp.

Richard
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Array Digital Point Ads Home Home Home