Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
gray_b

Pear tree problem?

Never seen this before on just one of my pear trees. Any ideas.

Small blisters on the leaves.

Tavascarow

Pear leaf blister.
gray_b

That was clear and concise, and spot on.

Many thanks for that. Now got to see if I need stop it.
Begather

Yeah the best way is to take the leaves out which are infected.
Falstaff

I think that will be a great way to waste a couple of days and severely stress a tree Laughing

Systemic insecticide (if you can still buy such a thing without a "Mate in the trade" ...)
tahir

Systemic insecticide (if you can still buy such a thing without a "Mate in the trade" ...)

There don't appear to be any systemics in the advisory below:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r603400511.html

(Not that I'd be picking off leaves)
Slim

Quote:
Biological control
Blister mites are not normally controlled by natural enemies. The predatory mite, Typhlodromus occidentalis, which can control spider mites on apples and pears, will also feed on blister mites when they are exposed. However, it cannot get into blisters.

Management
Orchards under good integrated pest management usually are not infested with blister mites. Blister mites often attack trees in abandoned or neglected orchards.

Blister mites have not developed resistance to pesticides, as spider mites have, and many effective chemicals are available. When treatment is necessary, choose a pesticide that is compatible with your pest management program. The best timing for chemical controls is after harvest when the mites migrate from leaf blisters to terminal and fruit buds. They are exposed in those sites until buds swell in the spring. Pre-bloom treatments can prevent fruit damage that occurs just before and during bloom.

From: http://jenny.tfrec.wsu.edu/opm/displaySpecies.php?pn=330
Falstaff

There don't appear to be any systemics in the advisory below:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r603400511.html

(Not that I'd be picking off leaves)

No - but that is an American site and says that sulphur sprays and a tar wash are acceptable "organic" standards. Not that I personally think they would be very effective, or acceptable to the uk Organic" Industry. !

Fortunately the problem is not mine, and the OP will have to make his own decision. You have my first line suggestion.
gray_b

It looks like the following are recommended by the trade.

Active ingredient Chlorpyriphos
IRAC code 1B
Formulations Dursban WG, Equity (Dow)
Action(s) A contact and ingested organophosphorus insecticide. Incompatible with biological controls.

Active ingredient Fatty acids
Formulation Savona (Koppert)
Action(s) Contact acting — destroys insect cuticle. Short-term effect on some biological controls.

Active ingredient Diflubenzuron
IRAC code 15
Formulation Dimilin Flo (Certis)
Action(s) Selective and persistent insecticide. Compatible with biological controls.

Active ingredient Spirodiclofen
Formulation Envidor (Bayer)
IRAC code 23
Action(s) Contact–acting insecticide. Incompatible with biological controls.

Active ingredient Lambda-cyhalothrin
Formulations Various including Hallmark WZT* (Syngenta)
IRAC code 3
Action(s) Fast-acting, persistent, contact and residual insecticide. Incompatible with biological controls.

Active ingredient Pyrethrins
IRAC code 3
Formulation Pyrethrum 5EC (Agropharm), Spruzit (Certis)
Action(s) Contact insecticide with short-term effect on biological controls.

Active ingredient Petroleum oil
Formulation Spraying Oil (Certis)
Action(s) Insecticidal oil that acts by physical means. Incompatible with some biological controls.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home