Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Hairyloon

Pedal powered tractor...

http://www.instructables.com/id/BICITRACTOR-B300-POC21-Version/
Tavascarow

A pedal powered hoe would be a better description. Useful on a large market garden, especially if you can change the hoe for a multi row drill but tractor it isn't.
I still want one though. Laughing
Tavascarow

One of these would be more fun though.
dpack

a strong human can put out about a horse power on a bicycle for a reasonable time ,maybe 30 mins .

my chainsaw puts out several times more all day and i would not use it's engine to build a tractor

medium sized tractors use about 75 hp which is plenty with good gearing

i want to see that thing mole plough hard clay Laughing
Hairyloon

I still want one though. Laughing

If you're really keen, I'm sure we can arrange to have one built for you...
Hairyloon

a strong human can put out about a horse power on a bicycle for a reasonable time ,maybe 30 mins .

I don't think so. There's a reason why it is called horse power
dpack

numbers

from practical experience it takes 4 keen cyclists to power a 1.25 kva pa system and charging 12v lead acid batteries with a military grade pedal crank generator is horrible hard work

if that was a tractor built for two dozen it might work for light stuff if it did not sink into the earth .
Jam Lady

Perhaps you would like steam power instead?

john of wessex

Now we are talking! Hairyloon

numbers

from practical experience it takes 4 keen cyclists to power a 1.25 kva pa system and charging 12v lead acid batteries with a military grade pedal crank generator is
Seems to concur with the numbers in the link.
Quote:
if that was a tractor built for two dozen it might work for light stuff if it did not sink into the earth .

Or perhaps the thing to do is build a bicycle for a horse...
Ty Gwyn

Why not just get a good Horse,

That contraption is virtually useless if there is any gradient in your field.
Rob R

I can't see it turning the baler, either.
Tavascarow

I can't see it turning the baler, either. I doubt I would struggle peddling it up my steepest field but I've been cycling full time for about eight years now.
It's only scraping the surface & the hoes are spring loaded so not a huge resistance.
Rob you could always do what the Amish do. But even with Sir Chris Hoys legs you wouldn't pull it round the field. Dont think those little disc brakes would hold you downhill either. Laughing
Hairyloon

It does have power assistance: not just pedals. Rob R

I can't see it turning the baler, either. I doubt I would struggle peddling it up my steepest field but I've been cycling full time for about eight years now.
It's only scraping the surface & the hoes are spring loaded so not a huge resistance.
Rob you could always do what the Amish do. But even with Sir Chris Hoys legs you wouldn't pull it round the field. Dont think those little disc brakes would hold you downhill either. Laughing

The Amish are a special breed. Very Happy
Nick

If you get a chance to go visit them, take it. We loved our time there. Mistress Rose

I would like to see how they do things, but they seemed to need a lot of horses for not too much return. Am I imagining it, or did their hay crop look a bit sparse? I don't think that pedal powered tractor would be good for very much even going up hill. Certainly no good for hauling logs. Nick

Lots of horses, odd small tractor. They eat very, very well, and very sociably. An Amish restaurant was a communal place. Think big tables, shared by ten, twelve, twenty people, all sharing big piles of good, simple food.

Minimal experience, but as they don't need to pay for cars, holidays, phones, the Internet or the latest trainers, they don't need to maximise their hay crop, just produce enough to feed their stock, and there's lots of land, so bales per acre probably less of an issue. Seems to be a simpler, quieter way of life and very incongruous within driving distance of Washington DC.

They also make a lot of quilts!
Slim

That tractor is clearly only a cultivating tractor, and as such would primarily be working on fairly level ground, and only be putting knives just under the surface of the soil. An electric assist pedal power is probably all that's needed for that. As such, I think it's one of the less-laughable ways of cutting carbon emissions on a small veggie farm. Rob R

That tractor is clearly only a cultivating tractor, and as such would primarily be working on fairly level ground, and only be putting knives just under the surface of the soil. An electric assist pedal power is probably all that's needed for that. As such, I think it's one of the less-laughable ways of cutting carbon emissions on a small veggie farm.

This guy has it sussed.
Ty Gwyn

Considering it weigh`s just over 2 3/4 cwt without the driver,any drag of the tines is going to resist its movement,

Notice it was parked on top of bark shreds,

You`d better start getting some steak`s down your neck Slim to build up them muscles before you contemplate giving that a go,lol.
dpack

numbers

from practical experience it takes 4 keen cyclists to power a 1.25 kva pa system and charging 12v lead acid batteries with a military grade pedal crank generator is
Seems to concur with the numbers in the link.
Quote:

we did consider dog power as we had no horse available Laughing
dpack

problems that the new generation battery technology might overcome.

iirc the next gen batteries are capable of storing enough energy for a days work and can deliver it with to motors at a high rate which allows for a decent hp delivered to the machine.

hideous expensive at the mo but the plan to mass produce them will make such machines a practical option.
Slim

Considering it weigh`s just over 2 3/4 cwt without the driver,any drag of the tines is going to resist its movement,

You`d better start getting some steak`s down your neck Slim to build up them muscles before you contemplate giving that a go,lol.

Looks like these bad boys have plenty of oomph for cultivation

https://youtu.be/Oy3LqlTq4e4
Tavascarow

Regular cyclists have the muscles.
This is taken from a thread on the Cycle tourist club forum posted this morning.
A Big Dummy is a make of cargo bicycle, no electric assist, just pedal power.
Quote:
Cycling back from my local animal supplies dealer. Just under 50kg of corn and a bale of hemp for bedding for the chickens. A few other bits too.

On JUST starting my ascent up a hill (so no major load) my chain came apart. I only found 1 half of the Quick Link and it looks intact. Sadly the other half did a Mary Celeste so I'm at a loss as to what happened. Luckily I had a spare link on board so I could pedal on home.

With the 50 odd kilograms I averaged 11mph sometimes easily 20mph and a max of 29mph. I'm pretty chuffed with my Big Dummy...b

EDIT: Yes I know. Shameless bragging. Did I say it was raining too.
Just as a farmer in the past could scythe all day or walk all day behind a horse, they weren't considered fit just normal.
Modern farming is too reliant on diesel driven horses even the organic ones.
Slim

I'm really starting to like this guy's setup:

https://youtu.be/fVQxlnaFr0s

Almost as fast as I used to do it on an International 274!
Mistress Rose

I notice they are always shown on really easy to work soil. I don't think they would be any good at all on most field soil, and not sure they would even cope with the stones in our garden, let alone clay. Think I will stick to my raised beds that I can just about dig by hand in one or two goes. Rob R

I notice they are always shown on really easy to work soil. I don't think they would be any good at all on most field soil, and not sure they would even cope with the stones in our garden, let alone clay. Think I will stick to my raised beds that I can just about dig by hand in one or two goes.

I think a lot of people think land is land when they're talking about it being more efficient to crop plant crops rather than animals. I'll stick to walking across our land though.
Slim

It would suit just fine for the only types of soils that I would strive to run a profitable vegetable farming operation on. It's clearly not meant for tillage!

Heck, even if it were only used for secondary cultivation a few weeks after a tractor did the primary cultivation it would still reduce the cultivator diesel usage by a half.

Jeezum, when did I become the positive one around here? I thought I was supposed to be shooting ideas down
Rob R

It would suit just fine for the only types of soils that I would strive to run a profitable vegetable farming operation on. It's clearly not meant for tillage!

Heck, even if it were only used for secondary cultivation a few weeks after a tractor did the primary cultivation it would still reduce the cultivator diesel usage by a half.

Jeezum, when did I become the positive one around here? I thought I was supposed to be shooting ideas down

That was exactly my point.

And I posted a video of a solar powered tractor - stop trying to claim all the glory. Wink
Mistress Rose

Sorry to be negative again, but I am not sure that thing would even go up the tracks in our wood. Walking to get to places, or taking a diesel tractor for extraction is the only way. I also can't see it doing much with the flints in some of the fields round here; would probably turn the thing over.

Still, might be nice for a bit of light market gardening on good soil.
Falstaff

It seems to be missing a PTO ?

Where do I attach my saw bench ?
onemanband

Laughing @ Falstaff.... nor a radio, gps, a roof, lights etc

I'm no farmer or scientist, but I'm wondering if an analogy can be made to the study into using hamsters to generate electricity......that is, the study came to the conclusion that it is more efficient to burn the hamster food to generate electricity, than to have hamsters running in a dynamo wheel.
A lot of energy must be lost propelling 140kg of tractor along.
I wonder, all things considered, whether a traditional wheel hoe is more effective and efficient.

On a similar theme........bicycle wheel hoe
Hairyloon

Have you seen the price of gym memberships these days?
Tavascarow

Laughing @ Falstaff.... nor a radio, gps, a roof, lights etc

I'm no farmer or scientist, but I'm wondering if an analogy can be made to the study into using hamsters to generate electricity......that is, the study came to the conclusion that it is more efficient to burn the hamster food to generate electricity, than to have hamsters running in a dynamo wheel.
I wonder, all things considered, whether a traditional wheel hoe is more effective and efficient.

On a similar theme........bicycle wheel hoe
A traditional wheel hoe is more effective IMHO, able to tackle more established weeds but slower & harder on the upper body. I've hoed an acre of fodder beet with a wheel hoe & it hurt. Give me the sit on my ass & pedal hoe anyday.
Does a pedalhoe float?
Slim

The point of a cultivator is to not let the weeds get big and established!

MistressRose, I don't think it'd be well suited for plowing out my driveway when we get big dumps of heavy snow either, but I don't think that's what it was designed for.
gregotyn

That pedal machine my be a thing of beauty and fairly carbon neutral, but I drove one with a massey T20 engine and removed most of the sugar beet I was supposed to be inter row cultivating (weeding). Put back to operate a hoe! Mistress Rose

Doesn't sound like your finest hour Gregotyn. These pedal powered 'tractors' don't seem very sensible in many ways as there is so much they can't do.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home