Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Jamanda

Peregrine falcons

Saw three while we were out on our walk today. Beautiful things!
Bodger

I've been feeding them my Birmingham Roller pigeons for the last few years.
dpack

splendid critters ,i had the good luck to watch a pair raise a chick for 3 wks

they do take ground prey as well as pigeons

awesome in hunt mode
Jamanda

You're not such a fan then Bodger. I felt lucky to see them. There were three. Maybe one one pair and one watching for a chance to butt in.
dpack

You're not such a fan then Bodger. I felt lucky to see them. There were three. Maybe one one pair and one watching for a chance to butt in.

pair and last years baby is probable ,they have a long relationship with the kids
Jamanda

That would make sense. There didn't seem to be any argy bargy. Just enjoying the sunshine - same as us three underneath them.
Rob R

It seems to have been a good year for birds of prey, we seem to be seeing them more regularly, or maybe that's just because it was such a bad year previously.
Mistress Rose

I have had several discussions with representatives of the RSPB about peregrine falcons. They seem to want to encourage them to spread over the whole country. I point out to them that as their natural nesting sites are cliffs, areas with no cliffs for miles are not their natural habitat. They would fly in from nesting sites, but putting up special platforms on buildings is not really a good idea imo.

I like watching the buzzards in the woods, and we also seem to have acquired red kites and ravens lately, but with a combination of them and disease, and possibly the big cat, haven't seen a rabbit for years.
pollyanna

There are three pairs nesting in the centre of Cardiff.

To a peregrine buildings are just cliffs, and with luck they keep the numbers of pigeons - their favourite prey - down.

With apologies to pigeon keepers who must be saddened by the loss of their birds.
dpack

york has em on the minster and elsewhere .they often hunt over us a mile out .
Rob R

g pigs beware Smile
Bodger

A couple of years ago here on the Lleyn, I went for a cup of tea with one of my pigeon buddies and after the cuppa we went outside in to his garden. There were no fewer than five peregrines directly above his loft. They would have been the parents and three chicks. That guy used to lose 60 to 70% of his racing pigeons to them and since then, he's given up. 12Bore

We've had them take pigeons in our back garden, scares the beewossname out of the dog!! Laughing Laughing robkb

Tate Modern has them on the roof Very Happy
evie2

Sheffield have them too Very Happy

http://sheffieldperegrines.wordpress.com/
Ty Gwyn

There are three pairs nesting in the centre of Cardiff.

To a peregrine buildings are just cliffs, and with luck they keep the numbers of pigeons - their favourite prey - down.

With apologies to pigeon keepers who must be saddened by the loss of their birds.

There are a lot more roosting in the Assembly in Cardiff.
Bodger

I think that you'll find that those are vultures. Laughing Spider

They are being bred here in the valleys.... I'm not saying where as there have been problems with scum stealing the eggs in the past Mad dpack

I think that you'll find that those are vultures. Laughing

nature notes says taffia rather than vultures Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home