Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Cathryn

Perfect first pony wanted

Mods please delete this if it is inappropriate here. But I thought I would put it here cos I feel part of the site and the people on it (this is scary and I should get my head checked Confused ) and this is an important "want" that I have to get right.

We are looking to loan the perfect pony for our youngest daughter. Our family pony is due a peaceful retirement and the daughter is wanting to do too much for her arthriticky joints. Nevertheless we are looking for a first pony as she will start on lead rein for quite a few weeks as they get used to each other. She will be joining pony club like her sister (please let them find at least one thing to do together to save me transporting them seperately to all their different activities).
Up to 13hh (in fact we would prefer 13hh so that we could pop on briefly if it was necessary)

Sorry - we can't afford to buy - in the sense that we already have two large garden ornaments at the moment and limited land - or three if you count my round horse - When do I get time to ride with two daughters both keen Rolling Eyes
@Calli

Oh Ruby I am so with you on this one - we have several field ornaments too! But still searching for perfect first pony!
I call every ad but still nothing ......Eldest now 6 and desperate to ride - ornaments palomino and arab Confused
Youngest 13 months and riding the dog out of desperation....

We should have a proper classified section???? Embarassed
Am I out of order here or could we post information from animals to property? Rolling Eyes
sean

Not that I know anything about ponies, but 'trading post' seems like a perfectly ok place for this sort of thing to me.
Cathryn

We've found one Smile another rescue and as usual we were spoilt for choice - what is wrong with the world Crying or Very sad
Bog Spavin

Tell us about the new pony please. Very Happy
@Calli

Ruby you are clever!!!
I must call Lesley when I am over.Pics of pony please!!!
Callie
Jb

ruby wrote:
We've found one Smile another rescue and as usual we were spoilt for choice - what is wrong with the world Crying or Very sad

What's wrong is that the cost of keeping horses is vastly higher than the cost of buying a horse in the first place so its all too easy for people to treat them as disposable commodities when they find the true cost.
Cathryn

They should stay totally ignorant like me and not add it up Laughing Laughing Pictures to follow I am sure and we have just been out to see him. One of the worries was that he has at times been difficult to catch - so sent daughter over armed with apples - no problems. I suspect had she gone over with the headcollar it might have been a different story Very Happy but we'll give the lad a little longer to settle and then see what happens - otherwise I will do the free lunging trick (which having recently read the book is halfway to that join up business).
New pony is a liver chestnut probably mainly New Forest but no one really knows (and we don't care). He has a notch missing in his ear which may or may not be a near miss with the meat man in his youth. His passport says he is 12hh - now I am not good on heights but I have my doubts - and as horse people who compete will know and as I have recently learnt - thats a different story... I think he is about 13hh. Anyway we think he has the potential to do everything asked of him for the next four or five years until daughter shoots up (as is the way with my children). I warmed to him straightaway - you can just feel that he is a kindly pony. And before I do a classic thing and go on and on and on - I will stop while we go and clean his tack Very Happy (PS I have questions about that oh horse people - please see chat!)
@Calli

Don't tell me he came with tack????
Cathryn

Oh yes Laughing They usually do come with some or at least Lesley tries but this time he came with a decent saddle.

She insisted on riding him yesterday and yes it did take an hour to catch him! I could have sneaked up but really want to get this sorted so only allowed her about 20 mins of quiet riding followed by lots of grooming and grazing in the lush orchard. Trying to convince him that it is worth coming out with us! He was a bit subdued but then who can blame him having moved from a field with half a dozen or so cheeky ponies to one with two mares with attitude. He didn't do anything wrong though - and in fact we must be careful not to let him develop some of the slack habits we have Rolling Eyes
@Calli

If you can ride him having just moved him you are well away!
PS Still Green!!!
Cathryn

Yes I did feel a bit anxious about that. I would prefer to have left him to settle in but I have decided that you have to make some compromises, children are only young for a short time. We didn't ask too much of him just a quiet walk to show him where he lives.
Penny Outskirts

ruby wrote:
Yes I did feel a bit anxious about that. I would prefer to have left him to settle in but I have decided that you have to make some compromises, children are only young for a short time. We didn't ask too much of him just a quiet walk to show him where he lives.
Ruby, why is that tree blue??
Becki

You know, I wanted to ask that! Very Happy
nettie

Congrats ruby, i adore ponies, and prefer riding them to horses, so much character. He sounds like a real gent Very Happy
Cathryn

Clever manipulation of computer images?? No hardly - it has been wrapped and we came across it on a not particularly well used back road to Lampeter. Isn't it great. Apparently there are a few around that area including a grey one with red tips to all it's branches. Marvellous, quiet, surreal. There has been no big discussion or mention of it in the area (although I could easily have missed it unless it came up on downsizer!)It is on the road between Lampeter and Aberystwyth - instead of going the Aberaeron way turn right and go to Llanrhystud - just about half a mile down that road look right. Wish I had taken some better photos but I had the pony in a trailer in the back (and four children).
Cathryn

This one Embarassed +
Becki

I am green Very Happy
@Calli

Me too!!!
The worst thing is I live next to Ballinasloe and we all know what hits town in October Laughing
Becki

Shocked Laughing
Bog Spavin

*awwwww* bless he's lovely I hope he bonds well with your daughter and they have a great time together. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home