Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Cathryn

Pergolide (Cushings in horses)

I have a small horse with Cushings disease. She has been hugely better since we started her on pergolide (although the farm accounts have taken a bit of a hit!) She hates it however and it's getting to the point where we will not be able to give it to her. It obviously tastes and smells foul. Disguising it in apples, treacle, dried fruit has stopped working. I just stick it in her mouth the minute I get close to her. This won't work now she is feeling so much better, as the minute she sees me coming she is already moving away! She lives out all the time.

This is apparently pretty common but has anyone got any suggestions? The vet hasn't come up with anything. I am planning on writing to the manufacturer and to the laminitis trust but I would be grateful for any other ideas.
Bungo

Horses are very wiley , how about giving it in larger quantety of feed like chaff so its more diluted out ?
Cathryn

I've tried that (although not crushed), she just sniffs it and walks off. It seems that there is nothing tempting enough to persuade her to eat it.
alison

What about mixing something smelly in with it, like garlic?
Cathryn

I'll try garlic but I think she's got me sussed.
alison

or get someone else to feed her
LynneA

or get someone else to feed her

Smile

But suspect that horses can be fooled for longer than cats.
Cathryn

Thought of that as well. Smile Daughters friend lined up for tomorrow. Then daughter. Then maybe me again.
Annette H

Is this the prascend tablets?. My friend used to feed them in a small bowl of 16 plus. It was quite molasses scented and the pony never seem to notice them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home