Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
gardening-girl

Permaculture Books.

Can anyone recommend any good readable books on Permaculture.
Andrea

For a total beginner, Permaculture in a Nutshell by Patrick Whitefield gives a really good and readable overview.

My personal, highly practical favourite is The Earth Care Manual, also by Patrick Whitefield.
Piggyphile

I loved the Permaculture Garden by Graham Bell inspiring but simple with good ideas. It is small though and less of a Tome than The Earthcare Manual.

For the sheer joy of reading I liked Forest Gardening by Robert Hart, but that is very autobiographical, you get lots of hints and tips but it is not a technical manual. He is dead now but comes across as a Gent of the old school who was one of the pioneers in this country.

I could go on and on, I love these kind of books.
tahir

gg I've got some old copies of permaculture mag, do you want them?
Luath

Anything by Graham Burnett (Spiral Seed) is good - accessible and easy to understand. Permaculture in a Nutshell is good too.

http://spiralseed.co.uk/
gardening-girl

gg I've got some old copies of permaculture mag, do you want them?

Yes please Laughing Laughing
tahir

I'll check tonight
Treacodactyl

There's also plenty of resources online such as: http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/ and videos from people like Patrick Whitefield.

As for books I think it will tend to depend on you and what you want. Most of the books I've looked at tend to be common sense to me but then I seem to garden naturally in what now seems to be regarded as a permaculture way. I'm more after ideas for plants etc, such as the the ART forest gardening books or some of the articles in the Permaculture Magazine (although I wish they would have more useful ideas).

On the other hand if you're a regimented monocultralist then many of the books will be useful - does your library stock any?
gardening-girl

We are in the same library area as Glastonbury,might be worth having a look there.
Also some very good second hand book shops there.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I like Martin Crawford's Forest Gardening book/manual - very comprehensive and UK based (I struggle to "translate" US-written permaculture books with the different climate / weather patterns / common plant varieties)
LynneA

The Permaculture Garden is full of small scale do-able projects, permaculture or otherwise.
baldybloke

Permaculture Design by Aranya is also pretty good. Go with the above suggestions as well.
tahir

I have your mags, please PM me your address
gardening-girl

Thanks. Laughing Laughing
tahir

I'll get em posted tonight Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home