Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Tavascarow

Permission to resurrect an old building.

OK.
I've a very old blacksmith shop that's a relic from when this area used to be mined for tin & china clay.
It's only about 15ft x 10ft inside.
Currently just the walls & remains of the forge, no roof.
If it was away from the public gaze I would just roof it & use it for another purpose but it's literally roadside.
If I don't change it's use, ie keep it as a blacksmiths & don't alter it in size or height. Just re roof, floor & plaster etc will I need to submit for planning?
Just thinking I know a bladesmith who has been toying with the idea of going full time but has no premisses & I've a redundant forge, albeit very old & in need of a deal of work.

Laughing
Rob R

The best people to ask would be the planning department - you may need a bit of paper to confirm that it doesn't require planning permission (and also stipulate use so you don't later start using it for someting else).
Behemoth

What Rob said - there may be issues with change of use and building regs. They should tell you what's what and then flip between very helpful and willfully obstructive.
Treacodactyl

I would be wary of speaking to the council until you know what the regs are. I made that mistake and was told to apply for planning when I don't think it was required and I was basically told they could insist on planning regardless of any laws. Confused
LynneA

Maybe contact the Society for Protection of Ancient Buildings for advice on how to approach the council and the actual restoration work?
vegplot

What Rob said - there may be issues with change of use and building regs. They should tell you what's what and then flip between very helpful and willfully obstructive.

Anglesey LPA haven't yet flipped to the very helpful.
Tavascarow

There is no change of use.
It was a blacksmith shop & that's what it will be.
I can understand wanting it to comply with current regulations though.
It's an odd one I know, if it had been in use ten years ago I doubt I would need to notify anyone, just patch it up & carry on, but we are talking 70 or 80 years since it was last used.
I tend to agree with Treac about asking planning first.
I've a friend who's a parish councillor & another who's an architect so I will quiz them after Christmas.
I don't really want to go down the planning route.
It would cost a lot more to submit plans & no doubt appeal against the decision than the repairs would cost & any rent I might receive.
TBH if that is the only option I'm better off knocking it down before it falls down which would be a shame.
Behemoth

What Rob said - there may be issues with change of use and building regs. They should tell you what's what and then flip between very helpful and willfully obstructive. There is no change of use.
It was a blacksmith shop & that's what it will be.
I can understand wanting it to comply with current regulations though.
It's an odd one I know, if it had been in use ten years ago I doubt I would need to notify anyone, just patch it up & carry on, but we are talking 70 or 80 years since it was last used.
I tend to agree with Treac about asking planning first.
I've a friend who's a parish councillor & another who's an architect so I will quiz them after Christmas.
I don't really want to go down the planning route.
It would cost a lot more to submit plans & no doubt appeal against the decision than the repairs would cost & any rent I might receive.
TBH if that is the only option I'm better off knocking it down before it falls down which would be a shame.

I wouldn't guarentee that change of use is not an issue. If you or your mate are going to use it for business and make things for others it might get complicated. Might be best to phrase it as an outbuilding/hobby workshop.
Tavascarow

I doubt anyone would want to use it as a retail space anyway.
We are so far off the beaten track & the beauty of the internet is you can trade throughout the world & not pay business rates.
Rob R

Without a roof I would guess it would be classed as derelict and the change of use will apply to bring it back into use. Same as you wouldn't want someone starting up an old tannery after 70 or 80 years - the use of the building may not have changed but the use of properties surrounding/regulations relating to the activity may have changed dramatically.

TBH I think you would be better off knocking it down, unless you have a real passion for the project, as it's not going to be an easy one and you could well find out, having spent a lot of money, the reason it went out of use in the first place.
Tavascarow

That makes sense.
I don't really want to knock it down.
It's a part of the local history & as my roots are here a part of me.
I'll brainstorm my friends & neighbours & see what they think.
Thanks all for your help.
Smile
Nick

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/streetlegal/streetlegal.htm

May be of some use. DS regulations require photographs, of course.
Rob R

I notivced this article in the paper that may be of some relevance;

Quote:
Despite a period where an exemption from the 1991 Planning and Compensation Act could be applied for, a recent High Court case re-established that because demolition is deemed as development, it does require planning permission.
Surrey Dodger

The issue you have with your building is likely to come under the terms of 'abandonment'. If a building is deemed abandoned then to re-use it, rebuild or repair the structure beyond its current appearance would require planning permission.

I am guessing it has been unused for several decades if it stems from the tin mining/china clay industry times in which case I can not see any way around the planning permission route. Under new rules, the local planning office can set their own fees now for planning and frankly, it is kiling off a lot of small projects with the high fees now being applied.

However, are you on a farm or agricultural holding? There may be some room to do something here.
Rob R

Under new rules, the local planning office can set their own fees now for planning and frankly, it is kiling off a lot of small projects with the high fees now being applied.

When does that come in? I've just checked our local fees and they are still linking to the planning portal website...
Surrey Dodger

Hi Rob,
Fee setting is now in a bit of disarray following this recent circular to planning authorities.

"I am aware that the issue of setting planning application fees is important for your authority and we are seeking to progress this as quickly as we can.

Following the consultation on proposals for decentralising fee setting for planning applications to local planning authorities we received support from local authorities but received a range of other responses from the development industry and others on the likely effects of a fee increase on development proposals.

This presents a complex set of issues and we are considering those responses to inform looking at options for how we take this forward. We are also working closely with the Local Government Group to develop better information on local authority costs which is assisting with this analysis.

We hope to be able to make an announcement in the near future and recognise the desire of local government colleagues to reach a conclusion on the issue.

Sir Bob Kerslake
Permanent Secretary
Department for Communities & Local Government"

In the original consultations a date of this coming April was mooted but after reading the above,,, well you could have a guess to and be as accurate Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Array Array Array