Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Penny Outskirts

Personal insults

A few recent threads have contained personal insults which have overstepped the line of what is acceptable on the forum.

Rather than just banning people, it would be better if it just stopped happening, so lets draw a line under it now.

However, if anyone personally insults another member from now on, their membership of the forum will have to be suspended. It's not something we as mods want to do, so please exercise restraint when posting in heated debates.

Thanks
Bernie66

Not before time.
This can be a great place, let's not spoil it any more.
Brownbear

Great. Can you define what one is please? Some people seem to think very different things about what constitutes one.
jema

Great. Can you define what one is please? Some people seem to think very different things about what constitutes one.

Then maybe people should make every effort to steer well to the decent pleasant side of the line!
Brownbear

Good idea.
Rob R

Ooh, what's been kicking off? I thought that was what the naughty corner was for.
jema

As Penny said, let's draw a line, new week new start!
mochyn

Excellent plan.
madcat

mods while you are at it can you deal with the nasty anti cat stuff that people think it is ok to post on here.I have considered just not participate in the forum anymore because it is so horrid.Theres plenty I could say about dogs and children both of which have mounted unprovoked attacks on my person in the past. Theres plenty I could say about the environmental impact that we all have on the planet
I try to post in a civilised manner to the rule that Whatever I type I would say to you face to face so personal insults and ill thought out rants are out.
Please lets just have a bit of respect about the place
Stacey

I think I'd echo what BB has said and ask for some clarification. I've had some pretty full on stuff said to me over the last couple of weeks. I'm assuming (hopefully) that it's being dealt with behind the scenes but it does seem to be that if you're a regular then you can get away with a lot more personal stuff.
Rob R

As Penny said, let's draw a line, new week new start!

Line drawn, I've just realised the thread in question is one that I've ignored.
Stacey

Seriously, unless you have some clearcut examples of what constitutes a personal insult people will continue. Just saying 'be nice' is way too waffly and vague. gil

Then maybe people should make every effort to steer well to the decent pleasant side of the line! Stacey

Then maybe people should make every effort to steer well to the decent pleasant side of the line!

It's clearly not working though Smile Give some examples of what's considered a personal insult. The person who has been virtually stalking me seems to think that all manner of personal comments are ok.
cab

Rather like football, isn't it? Play the ball, not the player. Stacey

For example is 'your (sic) a very irritating person' acceptable?

Or (in the post immediately after calling me an 'ignoramus' ...
Quote:
its not an insult Jam, its an observation, sorry, but half her posts are pointless and put in a way as to put down other posters comments, very very rude in my opinion, and my gramps always said people who did that were ignorant

Is that acceptable?
Behemoth

Rather like football, isn't it? Play the ball, not the player.

And definitely not the cat.
cab

Rather like football, isn't it? Play the ball, not the player.

And definitely to the cat.

Unless of course you're called Rooney, in which case elbowing someone in the face is considered only worthy of a pat on the back from the referee.
Stacey

Thought so. Cliques R Us Laughing Hairyloon

Is it not a simple case of, if you find a post insults you, then say so.
The poster then has an opportunity to apologise and revise their post or not.
If they continue in their line, then there is no question that they are being deliberately insulting.
Stacey

I complained to the mods about this particular poster weeks ago. There's just vague, wafty comments like 'Please could everyone be nice'. Pointless. What's needed is for someone to say 'You - yes you there - stop being so bloody rude'

That might work a bit better Laughing
chicken feed

in a strange way this reminds me of 2 mums in the playground years ago they would always be head to head until one day they got into a very nasty slanging match infront of parents and children, it was all cringe worth stuff. the head mistress put a stop to their going ons the next day they were both met at the gate and taken to a black board each on the top it had the words we are very sorry for our behaviour it will not happen again they had to stand there until all the blackboard was full of these words being made to do this soon colled them both down and never was a nasty word exchanged between them from then on. Hairyloon

I complained to the mods about this particular poster weeks ago.
Why keep it behind closed doors?
If you are insulted, then say so up front. Saves troubling the mods, who are generally enough trouble on their own.
Brownbear

I complained to the mods about this particular poster weeks ago.
Why keep it behind closed doors?
If you are insulted, then say so up front. Saves troubling the mods, who are generally enough trouble on their own.

I think that would be exactly the wrong thing to do. If you think someone's being rude and respond in kind, your rudeness will not only upset people reading it, it will give the other person the opportunity to claim that his or feelings have been hurt by your response. Sad to say some people really do that.

Far better to put it all in the hands of the moderators. I think they should add a 'report this post' button to make the process quicker and easier.

I'm sure the moderators will be entirely fair and impartial, and not take sides with their friends or against people who have disagreed with them in the past.
Bernie66

Writing something down has two issues. Firstly, you can show no emotion other than the words themselves so tone or expression has to be guessed and secondly, unless edited they are there forever. I try to read back any posts written in haste to ensure that they convey my real meaning rather than me shooting from the lip in response to something that is obviously wrong because I disagree with it. Wink

So, write what you want to get across rather than what's in your mind to say out loud.

You don't have to agree with everyone's ideas about everything to get on.
Marionb

Far better to put it all in the hands of the moderators. I think they should add a 'report this post' button to make the process quicker and easier.

Thats a very good idea.
Stacey

Writing something down has two issues. Firstly, you can show no emotion other than the words themselves so tone or expression has to be guessed and secondly, unless edited they are there forever. I try to read back any posts written in haste to ensure that they convey my real meaning rather than me shooting from the lip in response to something that is obviously wrong because I disagree with it. Wink

So, write what you want to get across rather than what's in your mind to say out loud.

Good point but what if what you want to get across is that someone is an 'annoying ignoramus'?
alice

The mods had better give up their day jobs then Rolling Eyes
gz

Good point but what if what you want to get across is that someone is an 'annoying ignoramus'?

You don't have to say anything, if they are it will show by itself.
It takes two to argue or get annoyed, and you don't have to do either Smile
Stacey

You don't have to say anything, if they are it will show by itself.
It takes two to argue or get annoyed, and you don't have to do either Smile
It doesn't take two to post insults. I've been remarkably restrained in the face of some pretty severe provocation IMO.
Stacey

The mods had better give up their day jobs then Rolling Eyes

Thing is, that's part of the deal with modding....
Brownbear

It doesn't take two to post insults. I've been remarkably restrained in the face of some pretty severe provocation IMO.

Just report it to the moderators next time.
Stacey

Just report it to the moderators next time.

I did that as soon as it started. Made my first 'official complaint' ever on DS.
Nell Merionwen

I complained to the mods about this particular poster weeks ago. There's just vague, wafty comments like 'Please could everyone be nice'. Pointless. What's needed is for someone to say 'You - yes you there - stop being so bloody rude'

would you not consider calling another person an "annoying ignoramous" as "bloody rude"?
Personally I prefer the idea of, be excellent to eachother and leading by example.
We are all valid people with valid opinions here. Who has the right to cast judgement on another?
a little forethought and understanding of one another is not difficult and make for a much nice, more helpful, informative forum IMHO. This forum is a wonderful resource and just like in all walks of life you can get playground bullies. They can spoil things for everyone.
Stacey

would you not consider calling another person an "annoying ignoramous" as "bloody rude"?
Personally I prefer the idea of, be excellent to eachother and leading by example.
We are all valid people with valid opinions here. Who has the right to cast judgement on another?
a little forethought and understanding of one another is not difficult and make for a much nice, more helpful, informative forum IMHO. This forum is a wonderful resource and just like in all walks of life you can get playground bullies. They can spoil things for everyone.

I think you've misunderstood.
Nell Merionwen

Embarassed
Bernie66

Take the moral high ground, the view is great from up here.I get dizzy from my fear of heights but I'm getting used to it, come on up.
The air is cleaner
Brownbear

Who has the right to cast judgement on another?

Judges. And magistrates, and juries. And moderators.
Stacey

Embarassed

It's easily done Laughing
Nell Merionwen

surely the very word moderator suggests arbitration and impartiality, not judgement?
Brownbear

surely the very word moderator suggests arbitration and impartiality, not judgement?

Given that they decide if someone has transgressed the rules, and punish them accordingly, I think it is safe to say that there is a degree of judgement involved. Judges, juries and magistrates are also impartial, or they are supposed to be, yet nevertheless they pass judgement.

The point about impartiality is that it should be fair judgement, being impartial doesn't mean deciding that everyone is in the right.
baldybloke

I can understand why Stacey is upset. I saw the remarks and thought that they were unnecessary and offensive.
Even though I detest football (sorry if this upsets anyone) maybe a yellow/red card system is needed. Wherein if a complaint has been received by a Moderator, then the offending poster in cautioned. If they persist then they get suspended.
Bernie66

I can understand why Stacey is upset. I saw the remarks and thought that they were unnecessary and offensive.
Even though I detest football (sorry if this upsets anyone) maybe a yellow/red card system is needed. Wherein if a compaint has been received by a Moderator, then the offending poster in cautioned. If they persist then they get suspended.

A valid complaint!!

Two things, firstly, it's the mods "ball" and they can tell someone they're not playing if they want to without explanation if they choose and secondly noone has to play with their ball if they don't want to.
There's only so much time and effort, deliberation and discussion that can go on over every whinge or genuine complaint.

I'd be more ruthless myself, speaking from my high ground. It's cloudy up here

Laughing
Brownbear

As well as the Naughty Corner, perhaps there should be a new board called 'The Vicar's tea-party' in which only the politest conversation is allowed.

"Do have another pork scratching, look there's one with no hairs on it," all that sort of thing.
Bernie66

As well as the Naughty Corner, perhaps there should be a new board called 'The Vicar's tea-party' in which only the politest conversation is allowed.

"Do have another pork scratching, look there's one with no hairs on it," all that sort of thing.

My high ground would welcome such people, come on over old chap. Maybe the girls will follow
Brownbear

Maybe the girls will follow

That's offensively sexist, I think you'll find.
Bernie66

Maybe the girls will follow

That's offensively sexist, I think you'll find.

Or humorous. Sometimes we take ourselves far too seriously.

Come over to this side, we have cake up here
Brownbear

Humour is no excuse for incivility.
Bernie66

Humour is no excuse for incivility.

Take it a slice of cake is out of the question then?

Laughing
Stacey

I have to admit to finding it quite interesting that the moderators are ignoring this thread. What exactly does that say? Behemoth

They're on the toilet? Brownbear

They're on the toilet?

Play the ball, not the pan.
Behemoth

Well I'm off to a lay a cable. On my own property I hasten to add, before something else gets out of hand, not that you'd want it in hand. If they're in there I'll soon have them out. I've been saving this all day. vegplot

I rather like the 'be nice' mantra. Rob R

I rather like the 'be nice' mantra.

"Please reconsider your actions; they are ultimately unsustainable" shall henceforth be used more often on ds.
RichardW

Is the government putting some thing new in the water? Bernie66

Is the government putting some thing new in the water?

Nah, if they were, they'd be taxing usage of it.
Stacey

Yes, it's all one big joke. I've just read a thread where a new member has been treated quite appallingly. The tone is changing on here with regulars thinking it's ok to bully, intimidate and issue personal abuse. I wonder why that would be? Oh, because it is alright for them to do it! Laughing Stacey

Is that the one with the sliding scale according to who you are and how regularly you post? Wink
Behemoth

Is the government putting some thing new in the water?

They are, but it's not their fault, it's the defeicit you see.
Stacey

You do know you're just making yourselves look very childish, don't you? Laughing Behemoth

My god! How many of me are their? I can barely cope with one. Stacey

0/10. Trying too hard now. Behemoth

Trying to do what?

After a joke about taxing substances in the water I joked about the defecit, what's up?

:-s
Stacey

Oh, you all know very well what's going on Laughing

The mods post up a deliberately flaccid 'be nice' message with vague threats of suspending accounts and then deliberately ignore the comments that get posted in response. Then a load of their chums come along and post stuff that has nothing to do with what's being asked and oh how we all laugh.

Meanwhile the fact that some people are allowed to post personal abuse is completely ignored. I can't say it really bothers me too much. I've known about the double standards here as long as I've been registered and I'm certainly not looking to make friends off the internet. However, new people are being discouraged. This whole thread is glaring proof (if it were needed) that the mods don't actually care what's being said by certain people. They just flap a hand in the vague direction of a thread and go 'oh yeah, stop that....'

Laughable.
toggle

I'm certainly not looking to make friends off the internet.

makes facetious comment
Behemoth

As my flippancy is taken as conspiracy I will bow out and promise to be deadly serious from now on. Stacey

Goodoh. dpack

a well constructed thought is better than any insult if one disagrees

i like to think the closest i have come to a personal inslut here was to misunderstand a gentle soul and invite her to a sword duel ,i did mean my apology
i will be robust of logic and knowledge and can be abrupt if needs be but i try to be polite ,tis best

ps recon tis easy to be very robust and be polite

pps anyone wants to be rude to me can, they will get logic ,rhetoric and a well deservered drubbing (and rude words as a bonus if in naughty corner )

ppps "you are wrong because..."is different to "idiot etc etc etc "

wanna row bout it Cool
toggle

wanna row bout it Cool

anytime..............

Quote:
personal inslut

dirty boy
Pilsbury

Just read the thread for the first time, another nail in the coffin, my opinion only that im hopefully still entitled to have.
Lucky i have managed to avoid the insults mostly but not much fun to be had now Crying or Very sad
mochyn

"you are wrong because..."is different to "idiot etc etc etc "

And much better all round.
cheap-n-cheerful

I'm new here newb so not able to comment on this thread, but it is my understanding that forums evolve, and just like real life people you come into contact with, some you love love4 and some you dont. violent1

I was a member of another forum for a long time, spent hours on it, and as I was a moderator I dipped into all the topics. Then things changed. Because I speak my mind and don't join fan clubs, dont cosy up to people, and don't do the huggy kissy thing, love3 I suddenly didn't fit in. Sad People mis understood my meanings and started to have a go at me, and it upset me Crying or Very sad because I couldn't understand why. Confused I tried to state my case but nobody listened, so I gave up. bootyshake

I have learnt from that experience. Learnt to not take forums too seriously. Rolling Eyes It takes a far stronger person to walk away walk when discussions start getting heated. From what I've seen here, there are some topics that I will not go into because I know I won't like what I read in them. crybaby For a nicer life I will ignore them. Squabbling is childish, and scoring points off each other is ridiculous. I think you should all say sorry notworthy and make up. occasion5
Brownbear

not much fun to be had now Crying or Very sad

Quite hard to engage in humour when anything at any time may be deemed personally insulting, given that there is no proper definition, just the vague suggestion that it has to do with being nice (presumably so that it can be interpreted as widely or narrowly as the person interpreting it wishes at the time).

However, has been pointed out before, if you want humour, banter etc, there are plenty more forums in the world.
Pilsbury

I'm new here newb so not able to comment on this thread, but it is my understanding that forums evolve, and just like real life people you come into contact with, some you love love4 and some you dont. violent1

I was a member of another forum for a long time, spent hours on it, and as I was a moderator I dipped into all the topics. Then things changed. Because I speak my mind and don't join fan clubs, dont cosy up to people, and don't do the huggy kissy thing, love3 I suddenly didn't fit in. Sad People mis understood my meanings and started to have a go at me, and it upset me Crying or Very sad because I couldn't understand why. Confused I tried to state my case but nobody listened, so I gave up. bootyshake

I have learnt from that experience. Learnt to not take forums too seriously. Rolling Eyes It takes a far stronger person to walk away walk when discussions start getting heated. From what I've seen here, there are some topics that I will not go into because I know I won't like what I read in them. crybaby For a nicer life I will ignore them. Squabbling is childish, and scoring points off each other is ridiculous. I think you should all say sorry notworthy and make up. occasion5

Nice post, thanks
possably up for the downsizer oscar for best use of emoticons as well
windyridge

Lovely post, well expressed CnC Very Happy
Pilsbury

not much fun to be had now Crying or Very sad

Quite hard to engage in humour when anything at any time may be deemed personally insulting, given that there is no proper definition, just the vague suggestion that it has to do with being nice (presumably so that it can be interpreted as widely or narrowly as the person interpreting it wishes at the time).

However, has been pointed out before, if you want humour, banter etc, there are plenty more forums in the world.

I know there are other forums, I like downsizer but from that reply especially the bit i highlighted that DS is no longr a place for fun, humour and banter, shame because that was one of its biggest plus

and thanks for taking my quote out of context
Chez

I have been thinking about this a lot. I think there is a lack of respect for other people and their thoughts and opinions that has become more and more prevalent and which must be putting many people off posting.

There is also a LOT of 'humour' that is, actually, pretty horrible stuff disguised as banter.

This needs to change for ds to continue as a supportive, pleasant place to be.

Many people are, actually, frightened to post because they don't want to be torn apart or have to defend their position to the nth degree.

I really don't see how 'please be nice' can be misinterpreted, unless it is a deliberate misinterpretation.
paul1963

As a relatively recent newcomer to ds and having been away last week and not seen the thread that sparked the discussion I did find ds a bit "scary" to start with, and felt a need to justify some of my views (some readers may recall my fairly acid rebuttal to a couple of comments on my first thread), having settled in and being the opinionated fool that I am I feel I have learnt to not take any of it personally and find it a fun place to be. Having said that as someone else has pointed out earlier in this thread calling someone an idiot (or whatever) is offensive by definition and certainly shouldn't happen on here or indeed anywhere, it just plain rude......... vegplot

Is that the one with the sliding scale according to who you are and how regularly you post? Wink

No. It's the one where you stop digging for dirt.
Mr O

Nice post, thanks
possably up for the downsizer oscar for best use of emoticons as well

I would say over use of emoticons, or is that an insult?
Jo S

Through sheer force of will (and the ability to wield the biggest wooden spoon you've ever laid eyes on), my great grandmother brought me up to never argue with the chef Wink

But Pilsbury has neatly summarised what I've been thinking.

Good old fashioned debates have become arguments - often bitter and personal, even just to read, let alone as a poster.

Banter has become caustic and humour is used as a weapon: "I'm being funny so you can't view it as insulting or offensive".

And, as this thread so beautifully illustrates, anyone who suggests we should "be nice" is mocked.

It seems, at times, as if there's something going behind the scenes, some undercurrent. I don't what, I may have been drinking too much coffee and stared into the 3am void one too many times, but there's a tension that I can't put my finger on.
paul1963

It seems, at times, as if there's something going behind the scenes, some undercurrent. I don't what, I may have been drinking too much coffee and stared into the 3am void one too many times, but there's a tension that I can't put my finger on.

Honestly not felt that myself Very Happy
marigold

Banter has become caustic and humour is used as a weapon: "I'm being funny so you can't view it as insulting or offensive".

It's a classic tactic of a bully to claim that they were only joking if challenged and that the objector has no sense of humour or is over-sensitive...
Nicky Colour it green

I have been thinking about this a lot. I think there is a lack of respect for other people and their thoughts and opinions that has become more and more prevalent and which must be putting many people off posting.

There is also a LOT of 'humour' that is, actually, pretty horrible stuff disguised as banter.

Many people are, actually, frightened to post because they don't want to be torn apart or have to defend their position to the nth degree.

I really don't see how 'please be nice' can be misinterpreted, unless it is a deliberate misinterpretation.

well said
Becki

Good post.
Brownbear

Surely personal insults are better than impersonal insults, where the insulter cannot even be bothered to tailor them to any of the unique features of the insultee, perhaps not even addressing them by name, and missing out any sore points or raw nerves, however obvious.

It would be almost as bad as forgetting a friend's birthday.
Went

Is this not getting blown out of proportion? This is a faceless (in the main) forum where people from all walks of life, swap ideas, opinions, feelings and information. Some people have better manners than others and some people attempt to add weight to their discussion by bully tactics and insults. Others show mutual respect for each other and do not get bogged down with ignorant responses.

I simply choose to ignore those who cannot demonstrate good manners, graciousness or mutual respect. I certainly don't lose any sleep over it.

At times it does seem like a bit of a club with some regulars supporting each other no matter what but that is the nature of the beast. Downsizer is no worse than many other internet forums and a damn site better than most.

My advice would be to ignore those who are too wrapped up in their own self worth that they have no respect for their fellow contributors...they know who they are.....

Very Happy
Behemoth

Surely personal insults are better than impersonal insults, where the insulter cannot even be bothered to tailor them to any of the unique features of the insultee, perhaps not even addressing them by name, and missing out any sore points or raw nerves, however obvious.

It would be almost as bad as forgetting a friend's birthday.

More impressive would be an impersonal insult that managed to offend everybody.

(I am not being flippant)
Brownbear

Offend everybody? Given the heterogeneity of our membership, that would indeed be an impressive demonstration of the vituperative arts.
paul1963

Offend everybody? Given the heterogeneity of our membership, that would indeed be an impressive demonstration of the vituperative arts.

Sort of a "triple word score" of abuse then really.........
Brownbear

With three Zs in it.
paul1963

With three Zs in it.

Cool!
alice

With three Zs in it.

Using all your letters.
Brownbear

With three Zs in it.

Using all your letters.

And then knifing your opponents.
sean

It's just possible that seeing membership of a forum as a competition is slightly odd.... alice

It's just possible that seeing membership of a forum as a competition is slightly odd....

Oh the forum aspect went three or four posts back.
We're all enjoying the Scrabble analogy now.
Do keep up.
Brownbear

It's just possible that seeing membership of a forum as a competition is slightly odd....

Belonging to a forum is slightly odd. Giving enough of a hoot about the opinions of other random strangers to fall out with them is fairly wibble-istic. Having arguments about who ought to be excluded from one after a bitter row involving personal offence being taken, sometimes even given as well, is, frankly, just this side of the padded cell.

So I propose we all sign ourselves into the funny farm and allow these perfectly peaceable electrons to resume their unruffled course.

Me first.
alice

Having arguments about who ought to be excluded from one after a bitter row involving personal offence being taken, sometimes even given as well, is, frankly, just this side of the padded cell.

No, that's family life that is.
Or maybe just mine. Confused
paul1963

Belonging to a forum is slightly odd. Giving enough of a hoot about the opinions of other random strangers to fall out with them is fairly wibble-istic. Having arguments about who ought to be excluded from one after a bitter row involving personal offence being taken, sometimes even given as well, is, frankly, just this side of the padded cell.

So I propose we all sign ourselves into the funny farm and allow these perfectly peaceable electrons to resume their unruffled course.

Me first.

Only if you'll be our psychiatric nurse BB Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Home Home Home Home Home