Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
mochyn

Phat pheasants

There's one sitting on the garden wall as I type: only 3m away, through the window. How can I catch it?
tahir

My cousins (grew up in Pakistan) can just sort of creep up on them and grab 'em, they're also fairly handy with catapaults (dunno how legal that is though)
judith

Soak some raisins in rum or brandy, put them out and wait for them to get drunk.
mochyn

Actually, I did try the 'creeping up' thing: I managed to get a child's fishing net over one! And it was watching at the time. How stupid can a bird be? The soaked raisin idea sound sfamiliar. Now, what spirit have I got to hand?
Bugs

mochyn wrote:
The soaked raisin idea sound sfamiliar

Laughing Mochyn, the Champion of the World!
Treacodactyl

Don't forget you 'officially' need a game licence to kill one.
judith

Treacodactyl wrote:

Only if she is going to sell it, surely.
Bugs

I think the licence is for taking and killing.
Treacodactyl

Judith wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Only if she is going to sell it, surely.

Nope, you need a licence to kill game even for your own consumption IIRC. It's one of our delightful laws that costs more to administer than it raises. There should be more details on the BSAC site.

Of course the chances of a bobby who is up-to-speed on game laws wondering past your house as you do the deed must be very slim.
sean

How are the British Sub Aqua Club involved? BASC surely. Wink
judith

Treacodactyl wrote:
Of course the chances of a bobby who is up-to-speed on game laws wondering past your house as you do the deed must be very slim.

And the ex-bobby who dropped off a couple of pheasants for me last weekend must have a short memory Laughing
judith

Mochyn might just get away without being sent to the tower. You don't need a licence if you are on "enclosed lands" and you are the occupier of said enclosed lands. So in her back garden she should be OK.
nettie

sean wrote:
How are the British Sub Aqua Club involved? Wink

That's for if you want to catch underwater pheasants.
Jonnyboy

Judith wrote:
Mochyn might just get away without being sent to the tower. You don't need a licence if you are on "enclosed lands" and you are the occupier of said enclosed lands. So in her back garden she should be OK.

Excellent, there are two or three cocks in my back garden most mornings
sean

Must resist...must resist.
Bugs

Quote:
Must resist...must resist.

Why? He didn't. And never does, in fact...
sean

But it's like shooting fish in a barrel if he's going to post comments like that.
judith

I think he's just toying with you, Sean.
Bugs

He can be so cruel.
sean

He's jealous of my (potential) celebrity status.
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
He's jealous of my (potential) celebrity status.

I'm on to bigger things, page 17 of my local weekly free press.
sean

Neck and neck I should say. Wait until my article appears in the Torrington Crier though.
judith

And who says celebrity doesn't change people, eh?
Behemoth

sean wrote:
Neck and neck I should say. Wait until my article appears in the Torrington Crier though.

..and is then used to line the litter trays of your neighbours' cats.
sean

Only if they've got a very small litter tray. It's A4.
treefarm

Serious question...
What if I run one over in the car?
Jonnyboy

treefarm wrote:
Serious question...

Stick it in the boot.
sally_in_wales

Jonnyboy wrote:
treefarm wrote:
Serious question...

Stick it in the boot.

Tradition- dunno if its actually law- holds that the person who runs over the pheasant can't collect it (suppose its akin to poaching on the Queens highway?) but anyone finding a recently deceased bird may pick it up. We east so much roadkill pheasant each year we get truly sick of it...
mochyn

Roadkill = at last, a good use for cars! Going back a few, the b***y birds are actually on the public footpaths which criss-cross our land. Still, since only about 5 people a year use them I should be safe. Famous last words, eh? Our land is enclosed: enclosed by public footpaths! Mind you, if they get in the duck run again I guess I'm safe there! I'll be making a concerted effort on the buggers at the weekend. May get my neighbour to come over and shoot them in the end. I'll leave you all to comment on how that sounds...
Treacodactyl

treefarm wrote:

Make sure you're happy the bird was healthy before it was introduced to your bumper.

As for them getting in the duck run I was thinking today could you not arrange some netting and then flush 'em into it to catch, a hen/duck run could be idea as I've caught a few birds in them in the past (only to take them out of the run as they couldn't manage to fly out). Of course ensure nothing is left that might trap other birds.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home