Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Wood child

Pheasant hunting

Not being in possession of a shotgun, I can't simply blast away at the pheasant. So where do aim for? The chest?
Brownbear

With what - please don't say a catapult.
Pilsbury

Crossbow.....

Ducks away from th fallout
misty07

air rifle? lol runs other direction
Pilsbury

air rifle? lol runs other direction

Nah that one is the sensible choice, only for sitting birds mind, Bow is the other option that needs to be avoided Laughing
Shane

If you've got permission to shoot the pheasants, you've presumably also satisfied the landowner that your choice of weapon is appropriate...?
farmershort

if it was, a shot anywhere in the chest cavity should cause a massive drop in blood pressure, stunning and killing the bird at the same time.

In the same way that when a pig is strung up in an abattoir, the electrodes just stun the animal, but the massive drop in bloody pressure when the throat i cut actually kills it.

I'm assuming air rifle - head shot, I'd say.

normally best to ask these things on jacksshed forum.
misty07

amount of fields i drive past id love to get an air rifle just to pop a cock pheasant in the head but you would need to be close id assume. i just want to try pheasant. once lol shoot it myself and everything Rob R

A car?
Jamanda

amount of fields i drive past id love to get an air rifle just to pop a cock pheasant in the head but you would need to be close id assume. i just want to try pheasant. once lol shoot it myself and everything

Those pheasants are someone's property. They have been bought and raised. Taking one without permission is no different from stealing someone's chicken.
Treacodactyl

amount of fields i drive past id love to get an air rifle just to pop a cock pheasant in the head but you would need to be close id assume. i just want to try pheasant. once lol shoot it myself and everything

Those pheasants are someone's property. They have been bought and raised. Taking one without permission is no different from stealing someone's chicken.

Technically, IIRC, they're the property of the land owner, so if my neighbour buys them in and they fly onto my land I can shoot them.

Obviously Misty if you want to try and shoot one you must have the landowners permission or you could be done for armed trespass.
misty07

im not into ileagle sport i wouldnt do it id just meant id loveto stop as they get quite close sometimes i would love to try and shoot one one day Treacodactyl

If they are as dopey as ones I've seen released you can drive with your windows open and they'd fly straight in. Laughing cab

Frequently I've crept up close enough such that I could have a pheasant with a butterfly net. If only I had a butterfly net.

Seems to me that they're bred to be slow and stupid.
mochyn

Seems to me that they're bred to be slow and stupid.

How else do you think people who can afford a day's shooting ever manage to hit one?
Jamanda

One of of my colleagues is part of a syndicate that run a little shoot. They all take turns through out the year to do the work involved in rearing the birds. They pay the landowner for allowing them to use his land and then all take turns to be the beaters or the guns during the season.

None of them are particularly wealthy.

(Yesterday they shot 12 brace, which gave them a surplus, a brace of which got dropped off at my front door Very Happy )
Hots

Trebuchet.

Guffaw.
Brownbear

Have those banjo-playing dribblers still got pictures of variously crossbow-shot and partially dismembered cats displayed across the pages?
farmershort

Have those banjo-playing dribblers still got pictures of variously crossbow-shot and partially dismembered cats displayed across the pages?

I'll be honest chap, I've not come across that side of it yet - nor that bit you mentioned about the rspca prank calls. Shooting a cat with a cross-bow has bugger all to do with poaching really does it?!?! That's probably just a few nut-cases

please don't tar everyone with the same brush though. I personally dont see any problem with trapping and shooting wild animals, in the wild (i.e. not on a farm) - that doesn't make me a banjo paying dribbler.
Pilsbury

thats true ,
so long as the land you are hunting and traping on is one you have permission to hunt on and you have the insurances in place you need if you are using weapons or setting snares in placs the public might be going.
I am still looking for a suitable area to use as they are in short supply in my area.
Brownbear

I personally dont see any problem with trapping and shooting wild animals, in the wild (i.e. not on a farm) - that doesn't make me a banjo paying dribbler.

Trapping and shooting innocent creatures? Shame on you.
farmershort

I personally dont see any problem with trapping and shooting wild animals, in the wild (i.e. not on a farm) - that doesn't make me a banjo paying dribbler.

Trapping and shooting innocent creatures? Shame on you.

are you a Veggy downsizer then?
Jamanda

Not quite (Have a look at his website)
farmershort

Not quite (Have a look at his website)

oh I see - hehehehehe
Bodger

He's a potato man. Very Happy dpack

A car?

my weapon of choice combined with a walk or bike ride to recover the fallen Laughing
boisdevie1

Air rifle - chest or head shot farmershort

large rock - best thrown from cliff above a narrow gorge. I believe acme sell a range of them. Wood child

Firstly, how do you get to brownbears website, and secondly, I'm using an air rifle. What would you describe as 'public land'? alison

Firstly, how do you get to brownbears website,

press the www button under his post.
Pilsbury

I'm using an air rifle. What would you describe as 'public land'?

Anywhere you can legaly go without the permission of the land owner or causing trespass is how i would put it, woods, forests, national parks, brown field sites , local parks ect ect.
I would never use an air rifle on land that i didnt own or have to ask permission to be on, same goes for snares and traps.
all well and good setting a snare on the bit of land you walk your dog but how would you feel if you dog got caught in the snare someone else had left.......
farmershort

Firstly, how do you get to brownbears website, and secondly, I'm using an air rifle. What would you describe as 'public land'?

seriously - jacksshed - it's a more... erm... "shooty/hunty" forum - might be more up your street Wink

I call public land, anything not owned by a private individual landowner or farmer. So it rules out farms, houses, and gardens.

obviously don't shoot where there's people near by. But I tend to say that forests, moors, common land, council amenity land, railway embankments (not mainlines) - things like that - all fair game, if you're willing to take the risk.
Treacodactyl

Firstly, how do you get to brownbears website, and secondly, I'm using an air rifle. What would you describe as 'public land'?

seriously - jacksshed - it's a more... erm... "shooty/hunty" forum - might be more up your street Wink

I call public land, anything not owned by a private individual landowner or farmer. So it rules out farms, houses, and gardens.

obviously don't shoot where there's people near by. But I tend to say that forests, moors, common land, council amenity land, railway embankments (not mainlines) - things like that - all fair game, if you're willing to take the risk.

And what's the risk of using an air rifle illegally on land where you don't have permission? A few years in prison and the possibility of seriously harming someone? I'm not entirely sure you can shoot safely if you're sneaking around worrying about being caught.
farmershort

And what's the risk of using an air rifle illegally on land where you don't have permission? A few years in prison and the possibility of seriously harming someone? I'm not entirely sure you can shoot safely if you're sneaking around worrying about being caught.

The risks depend on where you are. It's an individual judgement, and not really something that anyone can go into on here for legal reasons. Shooting an air rifle in the middle of a scottish mountain wood is going to be a lot less risky than shooting at pigeons in your local park. Opposite ends of a big grey thing there... clearly it's not grey in the eyes of the law.
Brownbear

Afraid not, it's a serious criminal offence, especially with the level of concern about air rifle crime, and liable to attract significant penalties. It gives a bad name to legitimate shooters, and you will get no sympathy or support when you are caught. Given the penalties, it's far better to practice your shooting at a club, and buy rabbits and pheasants at the butcher. They're a lot less than the fine or the loss of earnings when incarcerated. vegplot

The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more powerful guns for which you need a licence they are all classed as firearms. mochyn

I wouldn't class common land as public. It's used by commoners (people with rights to, for exampe, graze stock on it) although it's OK to walk over it. Jamanda

I wouldn't class common land as public. It's used by commoners (people with rights to, for exampe, graze stock on it) although it's OK to walk over it.

I am a trustee for a tranche of common land. No-one grazes it, though we could give people permission to do so. The fact that it is unfenced makes it impractical so no-one wants to.
Equally there is a bylaw stating no one is allowed to shoot on it which we are required to see is upheld.
dpack

lots of good tips here on getting shooting permissions etc over the years
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home