Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
jamanda

Pheasants

My last pheasant provider moved to Scotland a couple of years back so we've not had pheasant for ages, but Ben's mate has just started helping out the local shooting syndicate, so we got a nice plump brace delivered today. What shall I do?
Nick

This early they'll be easy to cook and won't need stewing. Rip some feathers off, slit the skin and rip them open. Take off two breast fillets and treat as very lean chicken.
Or pluck and arse them and spend two months cleaning up feathers for little extra gain.

I've done them in a grease proof paper parcel with Fennel, onions, carrots, apricots and a dash of white wine.
jamanda

OK - That does sound like a plan - especially as it's only needing to feed two.

Shot today - hanging in the shed - for how long?
dpack

im with nick re prep either remove the breast fillets with a sharp knife or crown them with poultry shears .

how long to hang is a matter of temp and taste, i'm not keen on "rotting carrion" so give em 2-3 days max at 5 c , 1 day at 10 c . some folk like gamey and that might be 10 days at 5 c and maybe 4 or 5 at 10c

it is best to hang them a bit if you are going to roast, pan fry etc but if stewing fresh as is ok by me.

ex fil reckoned they were hung if the tail feathers came out easily but i reckoned that was far too long.
dpack

ps if they are in a shed and it is still warm enough for there to be flies around pop em in a pillow case or similar improvised fly net Wink
Shan

Legs can also be skinned & confited. Use as a pithivier stuffing.
Nick

2-5 days. It's still warm. No need to hang tho.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home