Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Phone recommendation?

I am being asked for a recommendation for a phone.
Fancy features are not needed, what she wants, aside from texts and phone calls, is a reasonable battery life and a reasonable camera.

Any suggestions?
sean

As I'm sure you would say 'Define reasonable'.
Nick

You will struggle to get a phone that doesn't have both of those features.

Has she used a phone before? Probably the pertinent questions are what OS did it have and what chargers does she have kicking about?
Hairyloon

As I'm sure you would say 'Define reasonable'.

Fair point. A few days for the battery, and I'm inclined to agree with Nick on the camera.

You will struggle to get a phone that doesn't have both of those features.

I'm not so sure about that on battery life: last phone I looked at said "all day battery" like that was supposed to be impressive.
I'll admit I haven't looked at much.

Quote:
Has she used a phone before? Probably the pertinent questions are what OS did it have and what chargers does she have kicking about?

She has a phone: an old Samsung, which is so basic that I'm not sure that asking of the OS is a meaningful question. Confused
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Last time i looked, there was very little in between Nan's super-big-buttoned mobile with panic alarm, and the budget end of smartphones. A budget smartphone won't do well for battery life and there isn't enough memory to hold system updates etc.

I'm guessing Apple is ruled out. Does she like the Samsung? I was used to their style/function so just upgraded through the cheaper ones until recently. How big are her hands? This affects comfort/use and screen size. Does she have chance to go to a shop and poke some? She might rule out some options - sluggish or not intuitive interfaces.

"A few days" is not a smartphone battery option I'm afraid. That's a Nan phone feature Wink
dpack

nokia 108
,at least three days on standby with a few texts/calls / reasonable camera for a cheap phone/bluetooth (perhaps but i haven’t tried it ) /radio( not very good if you move ), memory card up to 32g,takes standard sim cards
iirc mine was about £ 30, not broken it in about 6 months

no web or wifi etc etc but as a phone it seems ok.
Hairyloon

I'm guessing Apple is ruled out. Does she like the Samsung? I was used to their style/function so just upgraded through the cheaper ones until recently. How big are her hands? This affects comfort/use and screen size. Does she have chance to go to a shop and poke some? She might rule out some options - sluggish or not intuitive interfaces.
She's been happy enough with the Samsungt: think she's had it a few years now.
Hands not particularly big, but long fingers. Having a play at the shop is a good idea as long as I can avoid going, but it's worth having a few ideas to start off.

Quote:
"A few days" is not a smartphone battery option I'm afraid. That's a Nan phone feature Wink

She doesn't need a smart phone, but I need to retreat to a safe distance before I suggest a nan-phone... Wink

nokia 108
,at least three days on standby with a few texts/calls / reasonable camera for a cheap phone/bluetooth (perhaps but i haven’t tried it ) /radio( not very good if you move ), memory card up to 32g,takes standard sim cards...
Ticks all the boxes, except the camera is only 0.3MP: is a little bit poor in this day and age.
Might do though: I'll pass on the suggestion.
wellington womble

I am really starting to struggle with my phone. I have insanely small hands and regret getting the iPhone 6 in my upgrade. I know the big screen is fabulous, but not if you can't actually hold it in one hand. Nick

Have you tried double touching the home button? (touching, not pressing) wellington womble

Yeah, it's actually holding it that troubles me. I use it in bed a lot while J is settling and I keep dropping the thing on my nose.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home