Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Phones dead, but internet working. :? Any clues?

As it says in the title: internet seems to be perfectly fine, but both house phones are completely dead. Seems unlikely that both would die at the same time, so presumably it's the line.
Have tried plugging a phone straight in with nothing else, but makes no difference.
An incoming caller sounds normal to the caller, but obviously gets no answer.

Any cunning ideas? Other than call the 'phone company.
stumbling goat

Have you tried the Phone "master" socket?

sg
Hairyloon

Have you tried the Phone "master" socket?

Is what I meant by "plugging straigt in". Or do you mean to take the front off the box?
I think the box here is too old to have that facility. Confused
Ty Gwyn

The same thing happened here a while back,i posted here to inquire as well,
The problem here was due to lightening striking the cable in the box nearly 2 mls away,breaking the phone connection but internet was fine.
Hairyloon

The problem here was due to lightening striking the cable in the box nearly 2 mls away,breaking the phone connection but internet was fine.

Was that down the line then?
Did they sort it on their own initiative, or did you have to hassle them?
Nell Merionwen

Possible problem at the exchange - although phone and internet share the same wire it's entirely possible for one to display a fault but not the other.

Call your provider.
A.
Ty Gwyn

Yes 2 miles away.

I had to phone them,and it took a week to get it sorted.
Nick

Yes 2 miles away.

Expecting them to know its broke without telling them is probably over optimistic.
AnneL

Just a thought but it might be worth checking with your neighbours to see if they are having problems too, before you contact your phone provider. perlogalism

How odd, I have exactly the same problem at the moment! In my case, the neighbours are fine it's only my phone line that's FUBAR'd. I've tried corded and cordless phones in the master socket and the test socket both with and without the digital filter thingy.... Hairyloon

Expecting them to know its broke without telling them is probably over optimistic.[/quote]
If it is just us, then yes, that would be rather optimistic, but if it is a bigger problem, then one would hope that they'd notice (or someone would tell them): you'd think a lightening strike with a 2 mile radius of affect would show up an error.

As is, I've informed them and they're sending an engineer tomorrow...
vegplot

you'd think a lightening strike with a 2 mile radius of affect would show up an error.

Error reporting is by customer feedback.
Ty Gwyn

My immediate neighbours phones were all working at the time,but the engineer told me a few others had been knocked out but the company had not had any notifications of loss of phone.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home