Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Hairyloon

Piano.

I have been asked to dispose of an old piano. I'm reliably informed that piano repairs are a black art and that this one is not worth the bother.
The first is a red rag to a bull and the latter means I can't make it worse, but the question is: what to do after?
It is fairly nice looking wood that ought to be useable to make something (if only kindling Wink).
Is there anything of use inside of a piano?
dpack

the timber is often very useful to a competent recycle carpenter(a gas meter cupboard and some window sills for instance Wink )

the frame is quite a bit of ferrous metal but only a few quid as scrap.

the strings are very strong wire ,the naked ones have more uses than the ones with wrapping

if the keys are real ivory they have a value .plastic ones dont .

the frame and strings hung up outside makes a fairly interesting wind harp/pluckable /bashable noisy thing

a charity fundraiser with a big hammer and letterbox combo (pound a chunk posted) can be fun at a fete but h n s issues might preclude that nowadays.

push off a cliff is fun but over rather too soon Laughing

other daft uses are available,iirc one was "litter picked" off the top of ben nevis fairly recently and" re engineering" is always an option
Falstaff

Dunno - If all the strings seem to pling - I'd be tempted to get a price for tuning and flog it on !

Otherwise it looks like a slack handful of cheese wires, some shiny timber and some scrap you can't "weigh in" because of the "new regs" - or Can you ? - Have we done a thread on how to get cash for your old metal ?? Confused
Hairyloon

Don't get me started on weighing in: I can't weigh in my scrap just because I don't have a passport. I've had to take up smelting to make it into something else instead...
Chez

My experience of various shonkey pianos via freecycle is that it's not so much whether they sound right after they are tuned, but how long they stay like that - that's what makes them worth it or not.

I reckon you could turn one in to very luxurious bantam accommodation with a bit of planning Smile.
dpack

unless it is a top end one the timber will be a mixed batch ,a few bits might be decent hardwood but much will be veneered board which is not very weatherproof which makes outdoor use a bit tricky
wellington womble

Would a nursery take it for preschoolers to bash? I'm sure they'd love it and wouldn't mind about the tune (the staff might be another story!)
dpack

the last one i had to deal with was a mid range antique baby grand.

it went to a good home but cost em 500 to transport it,it is a buyers market for pianos unless it is very special.

with the lower end ones the noises they make are so horrible and the size ,finger trapping etc etc makes them quite unpopular in schools.

a leccy keyboard sounds nice ,has volume control ,is small and can be got for less than the price of 4 blokes and a van for a couple of hours.
vegplot

Make a piano desk...

https://www.pianoworld.com/pianodesk2.htm
wellington womble

I like those. Quieter, too.
Nick

Don't get me started on weighing in: I can't weigh in my scrap just because I don't have a passport. I've had to take up smelting to make it into something else instead...

Use your driving license. They only need photo ID.

As for the piano, you can't give them away, usually. I know of two needing homes right now.
onemanband

Wot Nick said - photo ID and utility bill - and you can't give em away

Put 'piano' in ebay, cheapest first, and you'll see what the market for broken pianos is like.

Unless it's very ornate and could be turned into furniture, I would go for dropping from a great height.
Hairyloon

I only got the paper one. Is not really a big problem.

Quote:
As for the piano, you can't give them away, usually.

I know...
Hairyloon

I reckon you could turn one in to very luxurious bantam accommodation with a bit of planning Smile.
I seem to recall a very scathing coment last time we discussed chicken houses, I'm not in a position to keep chickens myself and I don't know where to start with their housing requirements, but other than that, I think this is the best suggestion so far...
dpack

the gravity thing does make a great noise and makes the bits smaller Wink sean

One of my favourite bits of one of my favourite TV series. Don't seem to be able to embed youtube any more. Here's the linky https://youtu.be/0O40Radaizk dpack

that has a lot of style for a mechanical send off

for a chemical send off the 1 lb of tannerite version is not bad for a diy job but the braniac tnt and petrol is pure fellini(look for "exploding piano" via you tube )

"they do it so we dont have to " Laughing i recon a home version might attract unwanted attention Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mistress Rose

I like the piano desk. That looks good.

Hairyloon, do you get the impression that we with no photo ID are being turned into second class citizens. I am rather proud of my paper driving license, and don't want to change it early as it is good for another 7 years, health willing, and as I don't travel abroad, I only have such an out of date passport that it is blue.
Hairyloon

i'm glad I'm not alone...
I'm not sure that an out of date passport is not still valid photo ID, for some purposes at least. Mine has the wrong address on it though.
Nick

Your passport doesnt (have to) have your address on it.

If you want to stay in the last century, that's fine but don't complain about missing out on this one.

On the plus side you can enjoy the benefits of the new regulations in this case anyway.
Hairyloon

Your passport doesnt have your address on it.
I think it does, but I've not looked at it recently.
Nick

Your passport doesnt have your address on it.
I think it does, but I've not looked at it recently.

Nope.
vegplot

I only got the paper one. Is not really a big problem.

Quote:
As for the piano, you can't give them away, usually.

I know...

Get yourself a driving licence photo id and be done with it.
Mistress Rose

Why? I have no problem with using computers, although some people do, but why do the powers that be have to assume that everyone has a passport and/or a photo driving licence and a computer. They are effectively saying that they don't want to deal with anyone over a certain age on anything, or those that don't travel abroad, or those that don't like computers.

I have to re-register with the Rural Payments Agency at some point. For that I am supposed to have a photo ID plus about a dozen other things I don't have, as all our utility bills are in husbands name, which is normal. I have the alternative of doing the checks on the phone. How on earth they sort it all out on a computer or phone without being able to see the photo ID I don't know. They can check the numbers as well on a paper driving licence as on a plastic one. The stupid thing is that I have been registered with them for some years and various members of the Forestry Commission, to whom this is linked know me and my wood personally.
Cathryn

There should be nothing normal about having everything in your husband's name. Chez

I seem to recall a very scathing coment ...

Really? Smile
Hairyloon

There should be nothing normal about having everything in your husband's name.
Why not? It is certainly not unusual.
What about lodgers? I would expect all the bills to be in the landlord's name: what are they to do?
Hairyloon

Really? Smile
Something along those lines, but if you want to give some guidance as to what wants doing, then I may see what I can be done...
Chez

Really? Smile
Something along those lines, but if you want to give some guidance as to what wants doing, then I may see what I can be done...

Just a high-up perch and lots and lots of ventilation. And I suppose you could use they keyboard bit as a nest box Smile. It really would only be suitable for very tiny birds though - you're supposed to give at least eight inches front and behind each perch for full-sized ones. Your nest box is supposed to be below the perch.
Hairyloon

It really would only be suitable for very tiny birds though...
Quail?
Chez

My experience is that they cubby down rather than perch. You could market it for Dutch Bantams though Smile gregotyn

How long is it since you needed to have a passport for scrap? The lot I took just before Christmas only wanted a picture driving license. My friend has just had a cheque from the scrap man for a few hundred and he has no passport. And I have tonnes to go and don't have a passport, will need one soon, am going to Australia next year, in theory! Hairyloon

How long is it since you needed to have a passport for scrap? The lot I took just before Christmas only wanted a picture driving license.
Yes, one of those will do as well.
Cathryn

What about lodgers? I would expect all the bills to be in the landlord's name: what are they to do?

Or landlady? Or maybe both if they both own the property? That's a novel idea I wonder if it will ever catch on?
Hairyloon

Him/her, he/she, landlord/landlady, etc all go without saying, so on the whole, I go without saying them. Rolling Eyes Pilsbury

Or landlady? Or maybe both if they both own the property? That's a novel idea I wonder if it will ever catch on? there is nothing unusual about all the bills and detsils being in one persons name.
My wife doesnt work, all the bills are paid frm my bank account, if the accounts wers in her name there are issues if i have to ring and quiery account detail.
The house is 100% in my name, her credit is shot to pieces so no credit cards or loans.
It suits the way we live.
Its down to the people how finances and accounts are arranged.
Marionb

All our household bills were in OH's name until he moved out. Now after nearly 6 years, the phone bill is the only bill that's still in his name. I wish it wasn't, but if I want to change it to my name I have to change my phone number, which I don't want to do, nor think is fair Sad Cathryn

Him/her, he/she, landlord/landlady, etc all go without saying, so on the whole, I go without saying them. Rolling Eyes

They don't. They still don't in too many areas of life.
Cathryn

Or landlady? Or maybe both if they both own the property? That's a novel idea I wonder if it will ever catch on? there is nothing unusual about all the bills and detsils being in one persons name.
My wife doesnt work, all the bills are paid frm my bank account, if the accounts wers in her name there are issues if i have to ring and quiery account detail.
The house is 100% in my name, her credit is shot to pieces so no credit cards or loans.

I would really like to answer this but I cannot find a way of doing so that would not risk offending a man whom I have much respect for.
Hairyloon

I'd suggest that that disclaimer should serve to mitigate the risk, unless your respect is misplaced. Pilsbury

I would really like to answer this but I cannot find a way of doing so that would not risk offending a man whom I have much respect for. its fine i wont be offended but icwas just pointing out that sometimes allcthe bills are in one partners name rather than split and its not becsuse i wont let her have control, she just doesnt want it where household bilms sre concerned.
All her accounts, bank, phone and amazon type stuff are online so sometimes she struggles for accepted proof of address stuff.
It wasnt plannex this way just as i doubt anyone else on downsizer deliberately controls another but sometimes it happens to work out thst way.
Mistress Rose

Utility bills are usually addressed to one person. Even if it isn't usual now, when we bought this house 32 years ago, it was usual to address a couple as Mr. and Mrs. X. Hence Mr. X tends to get sent the bills as he is the first on that list. I can access the gas and electicity bills on line if I really want to, always see them, and they will speak to me on the phone. There is no point in getting the name on the bills changed, although it can easily be done.

My main gripe is that a passport or pictorial driving licence is needed. It is only relatively recently that these have been technologically possible at an affordable price. I don't know that there was any more fraud before all this was brought in than there is now. As I am personally known to the people that have to sign off for us to recieve the grant, all this technology isn't really going to help a lot as everything else like address, bank details etc. are still the same.
Nick

As a direct result of needing photo ID to prove who you are at scrapyards, metal theft dropped by between 33% and 77%, virtually overnight.

Gripe all you like, but that's less church roofs, railways lines, road signs and sub stations having to be paid for out of our pockets.

I don't think it's unreasonable that if you're getting free money, you have to prove who you are. It's possible not everyone receiving it is known personally by whoever writes the cheque.
Mistress Rose

I think the main thing that has reduced metal theft is having to have the money put into a bank account. No cash in hand any more.

As identity theft is apparantly so easy these days, I am not sure that photo ID is really going to do a lot. I still don't see how it is really going to do anything over the internet as the person can't see the picture.
Nick

Bzzt. Thanks for trying, but no.

You can go to a scrap yard, and get cash. They write a cheque, which they are happy to cash on the spot for you. You don't need a bank account. You do need to prove, with photo ID, who you are, and where you live.
Hairyloon

As a direct result of needing photo ID to prove who you are at scrapyards, metal theft dropped by between 33% and 77%, virtually overnight.

I think they were originally going to require payment by direct bank transfer, which seems to me the best plan all round, so I don't know why they backed down from that: presumably under pressure from the federation of stolen metal dealers. Rolling Eyes

Do we know if the theft rate has stayed down?
How hard is it to forge the paperwork to the standard required by the typical metal yard?
Hairyloon

Gripe all you like, but that's less church roofs, railways lines, road signs and sub stations having to be paid for out of our pockets.
If I was a terrorist organisation, I would hit things like transport, communication, and power distribution. To test the security systems I would conduct a series of thefts of power cables, railway lines and the like... or rather, I would encourage the local criminals to do it for me.

I am not a terrorist, but I think anyone dealing in those things ought to be treated as one on that basis. They should also come down a lot heavier on the yards that deal in stolen metal and hit them hard with the Proceeds of Crime Act. Make an example of some of the worst offenders, close down their business and take away their house.
That would've brought the crime rate down pretty sharpish.

Instead of that, not only do they not prosecute the dealers, they won't even supply you the evidence so you can take them to court yourself. Mad
Nick

I think they were originally going to require payment by direct bank transfer, which seems to me the best plan all round, so I don't know why they backed down from that: presumably under pressure from the federation of stolen metal dealers. Rolling Eyes

How hard is it to forge the paperwork to the standard required by the typical metal yard?

http://www.local.gov.uk/media-releases/-/journal_content/56/10180/7025789/NEWS
Cathryn

I would really like to answer this but I cannot find a way of doing so that would not risk offending a man whom I have much respect for. its fine i wont be offended but icwas just pointing out that sometimes allcthe bills are in one partners name rather than split and its not becsuse i wont let her have control, she just doesnt want it where household bilms sre concerned.
All her accounts, bank, phone and amazon type stuff are online so sometimes she struggles for accepted proof of address stuff.
It wasnt plannex this way just as i doubt anyone else on downsizer deliberately controls another but sometimes it happens to work out thst way.

That's clearer! Smile Starting your sentence with the statement that she doesn't work...hmm. You are saying that you are in an equal partnership but both do different bits of it.

I would not be happy not to have my name on the mortgage, which if you knew me is a bit pot calling kettle as I do not have straightforward financial affairs myself or any other straightforward affairs for that matter.
dpack

http://www.local.gov.uk/media-releases/-/journal_content/56/10180/7025789/NEWS

the trade in stolen stone is still thriving Rolling Eyes
buzzy

One of my favourite bits of one of my favourite TV series. Don't seem to be able to embed youtube any more. Here's the linky https://youtu.be/0O40Radaizk

Wow - somebody else who has heard of/remembers/loves Northern Exposure. If I hadn't got the full DVD set I'd think I'd imagined it. Laughing

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home