Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
tahir

Pictures wanted

Does anybody have pictures we could add to the "Lambing for Beginners" article?

http://www.downsizer.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95
alison

What do you want.

Lambs in the field, suckling?

I am still trying to get some actual birth ones.
Rob R

If you are talking photos, I rarely have the camera to hand (& rather busy too) when I do catch a lambing in progress. Only really have one of the mother licking the lamb & the lamb just getting to its feet.

There are some good diagrams in 'A Manual of Lambing Techniques' or 'Practical Lambing & lamb care' though, if that is any good?
alison

I have specifically taken the camera down, when one of us notices lambign is about to pop, so to speek, and you can guarentee that it will be an assisted delivery, or prolapse or something. Confused
Lloyd

I only have pix of sick sheep at present
tahir

Rob R wrote:
Only really have one of the mother licking the lamb & the lamb just getting to its feet.

There are some good diagrams in 'A Manual of Lambing Techniques' or 'Practical Lambing & lamb care' though, if that is any good?

Sound good
tahir

alison wrote:
suckling?

Sounds good
moogie

Madman wrote:
I only have pix of sick sheep at present
Do sheep look noticeably different if they are sick then? I'm imagining a sheep looking a bit green round the gills Laughing Laughing
Gertie

Sorry I can't help, Tahir.

We've got loads of sheep around the village (er, not wandering loose you understand!) but chances of me seeing any lambing are pretty remote.
Rob R

How's this one...
Treacodactyl

Thanks Rob. How old is the lamb, minutes?
Lloyd

Black and White, Rob. Was that the plan?
Rob R

Madman wrote:
Black and White, Rob. Was that the plan?

Yes, the film was B/W, but with Kerry Hills, it doesn't make much difference Laughing

Treacodactyl wrote:
Thanks Rob. How old is the lamb, minutes?

Yes, as fresh as they come. He was the only one I assisted last year, as he was a large single, terribly marked but a good lamb- killed out nicely too Very Happy

Had first one of this year lamb today- smallest ewe, single ewe lamb popped out no trouble at all, while we were at the abattoir Cool
Gertie

Aaaawww - Lovely pic, Rob!! Laughing
Rob R

Another of the same...
Gertie

Crying or Very sad Hey Rob, I'd be no good - I'd end up keeping the whole lot!!

By the way, read in the Yorkshire Post British Wool have introduced a cartoon character called Farmer Tom to highlight connection between British sheep farmer and British wool carpets (?). Confused

Does that mean people don't normally associate wool with sheep?
tahir

Thanks Rob Wink
hardworkinghippy

Here's a nice pic of a typical just born "yellow" lamb:

and this is him cleaned up after a feed:

HWH
Bugs

Wow, HWH, those are fantastic pictures. What is the time difference between the first and the second? Cleaned-Up Lamb looks pleasantly chubby compared to him before; does that first feed and clean really make such a transformation?

I've yet to be terribly impressed by human births but animals are somehow quite different. Then again, you very rarely get furry little humans with big eyes and black noses Laughing
Lloyd

Why does it look so mad in the first piccie?
Bugs

I bet you wouldn't look at your very best if you'd just been pulled out of a sheep's rear end head first Confused Shocked Laughing
Lloyd

Laughing Fair point! Confused
Bugs

Hmm. I note, with concern, that you don't suggest that scenario is an impossibility... Shocked
Lloyd

Hehehe...What can I say?...You have me by the castratables now! Laughing
Gertie

Hi HWH - nice photos. It's amazing how rapidly they change. Incidentally, love the photo of your hens on the hen house post!
hardworkinghippy

Thanks Gertie!

I've got millions of pics, and it's great to be able to show them to people who like seeing them! Smile

Bugs,

There's about 25 minutes (cup of tea for the shepherd!) between the first and the second pic. If you look carefully at the lamb, he's big but not too chunky - that comes after three or four feeds and they just grow so fast after that!

HWH
Lloyd

So does all that yellowness get licked off by mum?
tahir

Brilliant pics HWH
hardworkinghippy

Thanks Tahir!

Madman, yep it gets licked off and the mum eats loads of hay to keep her tounge dry. Wink

It's not often a lamb or kid is born yellow, but they say that the colour helps to protect the new baby from foxes.

HWH
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home