Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
blossom

Pig Lice

A friend of mine has said that pig lice are just a fact of life if you keep pigs. Does anyone know if that's true?

If a pig gets lice, how do you deal with it?
Bebo

We've only ever had it on one lot of pigs that we've raised and it was bought in with them (we don't breed pigs, just buy in weaners and raise them to killing weight). Battles Louse Powder got rid of it.

I wouldn't just leave it, they make the pigs itch and clearly cause them discomfort.
Green Rosie

Our boar has had them twice and I have absolutely no idea where they came from as neither time had he been anywhere different nor in contact with any new pigs. Definitely get them treated - they are horrible creatures that cause the pig to scratch all the time.
Shan

We have had it once in 3 years. An injection of ivomec dealt swiftly with it.
Green Rosie

So where do they come from?
oaklandspigs

Lice are definately not a fact of life for pigs.

They are easily eradicated, with proper medication and good hygiene.

An injection of Ivomec. Or if you're in Ireland Coopers spot-on is very good also (not licenced for pigs in UK - only sheep and cattle, is licenced for pigs in Ireland, don't know about France), and is simply poured onto the neck, pretty much as a dog flee control is.

You should also clean the bedding (and preferably burn), and disinfect area.

Pigs can bring lice in with them, get it from other pigs brought in (it spreads very easily), from other farm animals that have it - eg sheep cattle, from some wild animals, and from hay and straw bought in from farms that have livestock which have it.

So check your animals and sources of bedding.
Green Rosie

An injection of Ivomec. Or if you're in Ireland Coopers spot-on is very good also (not licenced for pigs in UK - only sheep and cattle, is licenced for pigs in Ireland, don't know about France), and is simply poured onto the neck, pretty much as a dog flee control is.

The vet here gave me some spray and the little critters were all gone the next day.
You should also clean the bedding (and preferably burn), and disinfect area.

Did that
Pigs can bring lice in with them, get it from other pigs brought in (it spreads very easily), from other farm animals that have it - eg sheep cattle, from some wild animals, and from hay and straw bought in from farms that have livestock which have it.

When we got it there was no change in the bedding and no other farm animals - I thought wild animals may have been to blame. We do have wild boar locally although I have never seen any sign of them near the house.
oaklandspigs

Green Rosie,

Wild boar could deposit them in the environment, but suspect if they were that close they would have mated any sows and killed any boars. Lice don't "travel" very far, they tend to drop off and be picked up rather than migrate hundreds of yards.

Other wild animals are probably to blame.

PS Just in case anyone read it that way, I didn't mean to imply earlier that getting lice was due to poor stockmanship, but rather that as eradication is easy, you should not live with the problem if you get it, and hence not "a fact of life".
blossom

Thank you all for your super fast responses.

We do have wild boar running across our land quite frequently though they seem timid souls - I don't think they'd kill one of our boars as our guys are MUCH bigger.

We also have deer.

We did Vermifuge all three of them in the middle of November (an injection that I guess is similar to Ivomec) and change all the bedding but the little blighters are back Sad .

I wondered if there was an organic way of dealing with them rather than pump them full of chemicals every three months as it rather goes against what we're trying to do here.
Green Rosie

PS Just in case anyone read it that way, I didn't mean to imply earlier that getting lice was due to poor stockmanship, but rather that as eradication is easy, you should not live with the problem if you get it, and hence not "a fact of life".

I didn't read it that way - I'm was just at a loss to know where the they came from.
Bulgarianlily

useless information, but when I first started to keep pigs 30 years back, I was told that you put a stripe of old engine oil or grease down the pigs back, as lice would always work their way round the pig in a spiral manner and therefore would get caught sooner or later! Shocked blossom

Bulgarianlily - interesting that you say that. I have just come in from 'rubbing the pigs with veg oil and the lice just swam off ready to be combed away with a nit comb of all things. Loads of the devils. So the oil trick maybe does work. I wonder if they do do a spiral. Most of them were behind the pigs ears. In fact so thick that it looked like a spot - two of the 3 are GOS. Poor pigs. They were in their element though. Each laid down whilst I combed them. Who said that uncastrated boars were aggressive???? oaklandspigs

Blossom,

You haven't ime to post - get straight back out there and start watching for spirals !

Do they go one way on the Northern Hemisphere and the other in the south I wonder??
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home