Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
shadiya

Pig movements, anyone awake?

Pigs booked into abbatoir in the morning and just noticed that two out of the three have lost their tags. These are pigs I bought in so obviously different holding number. Does it matter? Can I just slap mark them with my herd mark, thus identifying them? been a while since I did any of this and know some of it's changed but not sure how much. Can rebook for next week if nec but prefer not to obviously. Thanks.
Nick

I genuinely don't know. I lieu of a grown up I'd suggest pushing on, but ringing the abattoir before you arrive to check.
Rob R

By law they're supposed to retain the tags at each holding, in reality it doesn't matter as long as they have an ID when they go to slaughter, so a slapmark would, in all probability, be fine.
chicken feed

slap them it will be fine.
Rob R

slap them it will be fine.

Is that if anyone at DEFRA questions it?
shadiya

Aren't you a grown up Nick? I hadn't noticed.... Wink Laughing

Thanks peeps, slap marks it is. Will try calling them in the morning on the off chance someone is in the office before I have to leave.
Ty Gwyn

By law,they should have the tag of the holding their leaving,how else is tracability to be accounted.
Rob R

how else is tracability to be accounted.

Holding registers?
Nick

And movement records? Ty Gwyn

Tag of the leaving holding is still the law,check it out. Rob R

So is a 20 day standstill when your pigs escape into the neighbours field. Ty Gwyn

Don`t change the subject. Rob R

Laughing

Same subject;

By law,they should have the tag of the holding their leaving,how else is tracability to be accounted.

If they go from one holding to another you are legally obliged to tag & observe the standstill.
Ty Gwyn

Shadiya`s question regarded tags for the abattoir,

Not someones poor fencing.
Rob R

OK, well, it all depends on age - up to 1 year they can move between holdings with a temporary paint mark, and then have a tag, tattoo or slapmark of the last holding when going to slaughter. Over one year of age they must be tagged or permanently marked with the herdmark every time they leave a holding for breeding, market or collection centre.

And Shadiya, make sure your fencing is of adequate quality before loading... Smile
Nick

Aren't you a grown up Nick? I hadn't noticed.... Wink Laughing

Thanks peeps, slap marks it is. Will try calling them in the morning on the off chance someone is in the office before I have to leave.

What was the result?
shadiya

Had to abort the mission due to laptop refusing to connect to internet, which meant I couldn't log the movement and foolishly didn't have the password written down so couldn't use my notepad..... My ex husband, who is eating the pigs and therefore involved in the going to slaughter thing, didn't have his with him so had to remotely log in to work to find the email I sent him that included the password so I could report the movement so we could load the pigs.... Phew.

Anyway, by the time we'd done all that we were cutting it a bit fine for getting there on time and didn't want to risk missing pig slot so decided to rearrange for next Friday when they will be going in slap marked with my holding number. So all's well that ends in bacon, if a vegetarian can say such a thing? Wink
Nick

The things vegetarians will do to avoid The Correct Things In Life. Ty Gwyn

[quote="shadiya:1334569"]Had to abort the mission due to laptop refusing to connect to internet, which meant I couldn't log the movement and foolishly didn't have the password written down so couldn't use my notepad.....

Maybe of interest to you,incase you have laptop problems in the future,
Request movement forms,then phone the given number before movement takes place,you`ll be given a Ref No. to place on top of your form,
Then after movement takes place,phone the number to inform them.
Nick

I thought it had to be electronic now? Haven't had pigs for far too long. Must get some soon...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home