Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Bodger

Pig Roast

I went to Priceys 40th last year where there was a pig roast, but has anyone or will someone do an article on how to do a pig roast on a spit from the very start and to the finish ?

Thanks. Very Happy
pricey

First get up at Stupid O'clock, then have everyone else go back to bed Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

I will do one if you want I think I have enough Pics?
sean

It would be good if you would.
sally_in_wales

If we arent too rushed off our feet I'll take a few pics of Wellington Wombles Wedding pig roast next weekend as it progresses, havent yet worked out what ungodly hour of the night I have to get up to put the beast on to cook yet, so I may be too grumpy to take pictures- but I'll try
NeathChris

i would love to see the whole process to, i could then see the pig from birth to fork!
Cathryn

Yes but if Pricey does it he will only complain all the way through about How We Left Him To It which is perfectly true but that's only because we couldn't drag him away. Smile
Rob R

It's not that interesting in pictures, now if you could get smell-o-vision.... mmmmmmmmmm
Bodger

I've spoken to Dave the Blacksmith and a well as selling the 'hand cranking' Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed version, he's currently in the process of perfecting one fitted with an electric motor. Very Happy
bingo

Re: Pig Roast

bodger wrote:
I went to Priceys 40th last year where there was a pig roast, but has anyone or will someone do an article on how to do a pig roast on a spit from the very start and to the finish ?

Thanks. Very Happy


Pricey 40?

I thought he was much older than that. Rolling Eyes
Bodger

I thought you were mates Laughing Laughing Laughing
dougal

bodger wrote:
I've spoken to Dave the Blacksmith and a well as selling the 'hand cranking' Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed version, he's currently in the process of perfecting one fitted with an electric motor. Very Happy


The way technology keeps advancing, quite soon there won't be any employment opportunities for small children...
Blacksmith

dougal wrote:
bodger wrote:
I've spoken to Dave the Blacksmith and a well as selling the 'hand cranking' Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed version, he's currently in the process of perfecting one fitted with an electric motor. Very Happy


The way technology keeps advancing, quite soon there won't be any employment opportunities for small children...

Another spit ready to go, this one has an additional small spit for chickens.... this is slightly lower to the ground to enable very small children a chance of employment.

Work carries on with the motorised version, I have acquired a windscreen wiper motor and a 20:1 gearbox, this gives about 2 rpm drawing 3 amps at 12 volts. So, do I need a 30 amp/hour battery for 10 hours running ? Confused

dougal

Quote:
So, do I need a 30 amp/hour battery for 10 hours running ?


Yes - or rather, at least that, plus a bit...

Lead/acid batteries generally don't like being drained flat. Everytime you do it, you lose a bit of capacity.
"Leisure" batteries are a bit better able to put up with the abuse of being drained flat-ish.
"Traction" batteries (as used on 'mobility scooters' and such) are even better - but even more expensive!
Ordinary car batteries don't like going flat AND they are primarily designed to deliver a brief (but massive) current to the starting motor - rather than a steady (lower) load.

The amp hour rating varies depending on the rate of discharge. The manufacturer might even have a curve to define the relationship. Generally, the slower you drain it, the more you get out! 30 amp hour @ 1 amp might be less than 20 amp hours at 3 amp discharge rate.

So, I'd go for something like a 40 amp hour leisure battery, AND probably carry an old (but charged) car battery just in case you needed 'a little bit more' - being professional means being prepared! With some jump leads on board, the prime battery could be topped up a bit while the clunker keeps things moving for a few minutes...
And for transport, you should have the batteries solidly secured... and the terminals insulated... Cool
Blacksmith

Thanks for that Dougal. I was erring on the side of caution going for a sealed leisure battery, have seen the effects of hydrogen and naked flames. Shocked
resistance is fertile

Hey mr blacksmith, have you looked in to the possibility of a wind up arrangement- a bit of fast cranking then a slow 'unwinding'
Do you think this is possible?
Blacksmith

Yep, have looked into varicose possibilities. Very Happy
Decided that simple is best, No electrics, gas or clockwork.
As the roast only needs to be rotated every 15 mins or so, or locked in position so an under cooked portion gets some more heat.
I am going to stick with my tried and tested 8 hole locking plate.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home