Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
tahir

Planning Against Panic

Radio 4 Thursday 20:30 Analysis
Planning Against Panic

Epidemics, natural disasters, terrorism government emergency planning has never seemed more urgent. But in a real crisis, how could Whitehall seize practical and psychological control of an ever more individualistic society? David Walker investigates.

[Rptd Sun 9.30pm]
Penny Outskirts

That sounds like it could be fascinating - thanks Tahir, will make a date to listen to that one. Very Happy
wellington womble

Can you sky+ the radio? The channels are there. Todays experiment, then!
tahir

wellington womble wrote:
Can you sky+ the radio?

Yes. You may have to set it up manually though
jamsam

i watched a programme of a similar vein on sky travel last night, it was all about what would happen to the uk without power, after some fictional solar flare or power surge. the findings were damned scarrey.
so today i am writting a list of all the torches, candles, batteries and fire wood around the house so we can find things straight away. im also considering buying in 5 dozen tins of beans...hmm...methane...
does anyone actually have a n emergency plan or stash of suitable things??
Treacodactyl

jamsam wrote:
does anyone actually have a n emergency plan or stash of suitable things??

Yes. Very Happy A few big candles that will burn for 100s of hours, 50 or so tea lights, paraffin lamp + paraffin. Some of the latest LED headlights are very useful and will last for over 100 hours on a set of batteries and can be bought for under £10. I try to have a at least months supply of fuel for our fire and a small generator for the fridge/freezer.

Doing most of our bulk shopping at suma we tend to have about 6 months supply of basic food in the house as well.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home