Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
jettejette

Plant ideas please?

Having spent all of yesterday clearing brambles and nettles from a very narrow bed below our laundry room window, I now need some ideas of what to put there.
I suppose it needs to be shallow rooted being by the wall, and perfumed and bee friendly would be nice. The area gets a little sun but is quite shady.
Any recommendations?
dpack

thyme,rosemary,lavender will grow in places with a bit of sun each day

some of the mints are ok in semi shady places but they like wet which isnt sensible against a wall.not as bee friendly
LynneA

hardy geraniums?

given that Herb Robert would take over a spot like that in no time.
OtleyLad

I'd think about covering the whole bed with weed supressing membrane with some kind of mulch/gravel/slate chippings/whatever on top. This will keep the weeds from outgrowing/getting tangled with whatever you plant. You could perhaps fan train a morello cherry against the wall (bees love the blossum); Raspberries?
earthyvirgo

I'd think about covering the whole bed with weed supressing membrane with some kind of mulch/gravel/slate chippings/whatever on top. This will keep the weeds from outgrowing/getting tangled with whatever you plant. You could perhaps fan train a morello cherry against the wall (bees love the blossum); Raspberries?

I think fruit would need more than a bit of sun?

The smaller and much prettier than the common orange one, yellow-gold flowering Crocosmia?

EV
Jam Lady

Weed barrier, gravel mulch, and containers. Swap out for seasonal appeal.

Potted bulbs for Spring - hyacinths fragrant & attractive to bees. Combination of lettuces - red leaf especially pretty with violas (small pansies)

If 6 hours direct sun in summer can grow most anything. Otherwise mostly foliage.

Autumn - chrysanthemums already in bloom will hold for several weeks. Companion pots of ornamental kale (frillier than ornamental cabbages) is appropriate colors - purple-y pink with wine coloured (see, I can spell in British!) orn. kale.

Winter - cut evergreen branches, deciduous berried holly branches, red twig dogwood branches, perhaps even a few christmas tree ornaments - the round shiny ones
wellington womble

Edible or not? I'd probably cover with sweet woodruff, periwinkle and bulbs (snowdrops, bluebells and maybe some daffs) I have known mint grow well against walls, and it does smell lovely (if it can't get out)
sueshells

Geranium macrorrhizum is good in that sort of situation. Comes in different shades of pink, depending on the cultivar, and the leaves have a nice spicy scent when crushed. Very easy to grow and pretty with it plus bees like the simple flowers. Makes good ground cover too.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Wild garlic?

(my answer to everything at the moment!)
jettejette

Thanks chaps!
I knew you'd come up with the goods. Will now have a starting point. flower flower flower
Mistress Rose

Wild garlic likes shady places and where it can't get out is a good idea. We have found that reducing the shade tends to do for it a bit, but otherwise it is very dominant.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home