Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
quixoticgeek

Plant Identity questions.

Whilst out picking elderberries today I came across the following two bushes. I am however abit confused as to what they are, and if they are edible, and/or poisonous.

Number 1:

This was in the same hedge as a load of elderberries, and as you can see has fruit very very similiar to elder, but the leaves are very different. Is this just a different species of elder, or is this something else entirely?

Number 2:

Also in the same hedge as the elders above. Any ideas?

Whilst picking haws, I also noticed that not all the bushes with haws on had thorns, but they did all have the same leaves. Do you get some hawthorn bushes that don't have thorns? Is there anything I could easily confuse Haw's with ?

Aside from the doubtful stuff above, I filled a gallon bucket with elderberries, and picked a couple of pints of haws before abandoning the trip as it had got to hot.

Strangly, here in .nl, I am really struggling to find blackberries...

I did find several wild hop plants tho...

Thanks

Julia
cab

Bottom one looks like guelder rose.

Top one... Could well be a fancy leaved elderberry of some sort, can you get us a pic with the leaves more spread out so we can see the form?
quixoticgeek

This is a close up on the leaves. There is an alternative version of the photo Here.

Thanks

J
Green Rosie

I remember planting an ornamental elderberry like the one in your top picture. I would agree with Cab that the second is Guelder Rose and there is some recipe info here
cab

Hmmm... Probably eleder. Squeeze the leaves, smell them, compare with the leaves of an ordinary elder. Do both have the same minging honk (bad smell)?
Tavascarow

Top one looks like sambucus racemosa an american elder & common in gardens, common name fern leaved elder.
My favourite variety is racemosa plumosa aurea.
Racemosa berries are red IIRC so probably a cross with the wild sambucus nigra.
Bottom one I agree with Cab.
Very Happy
quixoticgeek

Tavascarow wrote:
Top one looks like sambucus racemosa an american elder & common in gardens, common name fern leaved elder.
My favourite variety is racemosa plumosa aurea.
Racemosa berries are red IIRC so probably a cross with the wild sambucus nigra.
Bottom one I agree with Cab.
Very Happy

Does that mean it is or isn't safe to use in things like elderberry jam?

Thanks

J
Tavascarow

I have never eaten sambucus racemosa berries but AFAIK they are edible.
PFAF Sambucus racemosa
PFAF Sambucus nigra
Very Happy
mochyn

Yep: Sambucus racemosa and Viburnum opulus. I have a lovely black-leafed S. racemosa with pale pink flowers. Complete show stopper!
sarahloo

I always wondered about those pretty frilly red bushes with flowers and fruits like Elder... now I know! Smile

I must try something with Guelder Rose this year...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home