Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Treacodactyl

Plant swaps

Does anyone take part in an organised plant swapping group? We do have the odd annual event but I'm thinking more along the lines of a group of local people who might organise plant swapping throughout the year.

For example, I might raise a dozen gooseberry cuttings and only need a couple plants so have some spare that I'd rather get rid of right away rather than wait until the annual plant swap.

I'm thinking more along the lines of perennial plants as well rather than say spare veg seedlings.

If you do or if you've heard of one do you have any comments to share? What works well, what doesn't?
earthyvirgo

It works very well on Freegle around here.

EV
Lorrainelovesplants

Id be up for that. Right now Im looking for yellow day lilies.
Treacodactyl

I'm thinking something more organised than freegle, hopefully so people could make requests for plants and others could take cuttings etc. Ideally it would need to be locally based a bit like the freeglecylcles.
sean

Is there a horticultural club near you?
https://sites.google.com/site/torringtonhorticulturalclub/ cover Torrington. They seem to be quite active though not so much on the interweb as via little posters in windows. There might be something similar down your way.
Treacodactyl

I'm not aware of one although I've not asked, there's no allotments either as that would have been a good way.
Cathryn

There are some good ones round here and I never manage to get to them. Friends come back laden with trophies and full of tales of tables and tables of fantastic plants. Next year... I am surprised there are none round you Treac. Perhaps you can get one going? Round here they are organised by groups like Dyfi Valley Seed savers.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home