Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
cheddarpaul

Plastic for polytunnels...where to buy??

Hi all - I wonder if anyone call let me know a good (cheap) source to buy heavy duty plastic to make my own polytunnel?

I had the idea I could use short lengths of hosepipe cut down to make the arches and then staplegun some of the plastic along them to make the tunnel. I guess the plastic would need to be quite heavy duty and about 1m wide by 10-20m long...

Also, I am thinking of making a walk-in polytunnel using a similar method (but using some heavy duty piping for the arches - again using plastic as the covering. This would need to be about 2m wide and 4-5m long....

Ta muchly...
Treacodactyl

Nut sure where to but the plastic but I'd start with the adverts in something like Kitchen Garden. If you want to get it for free some of the plastic furniture comes in seems very heavy duty so perhaps a trip to somewhere where they sell a large amount and ask?

I assume you mean to staple the clear polythene (plastic) to the arches? I doubt that will work as I expect the plastic will pull out. Each side can be buried in the soil or have heavy items layed on it so that should keep the plastic under tension and then perhaps taping the sides to the arches?
marigold

what do you mean by "cheap"??

you can buy 5mx2m polythene from here www.polytunnels.com/products.asp?recnumber=200 for 23.50.

as TD says you may find free polythene from a furniture shop - my futon came in a huge polybag.

here's an interesting-looking article about polytunnels - with more links www.permaculture.co.uk/mag/Articles/Polytunnel.html

good luck! Smile
pricey

Buy feb issue ofcountry smallholding, page33& 34 joe jacobs has made his own and tells you how to do it with diagrams, fantastic article.
Behemoth

This lot are quite competitive for a lot of stuff - not sure about their prices for polytunnel plastic but worth a look. They also do cheaper plastic for cloches etc. http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/5.html

I'm not sure that hosepipe will be rigid enough (depends of the type of hose) but I'd recomend gas or water pipe from a builders merchant.

Dont stable gun the plastic to the hoops, it will tear the plastic in strong winds or if the hoop moves. Also it will make it easier to dismantle and store if the plastic can be removed and rolled up.

Basically you should be heading for a stable frame that the plastic covers and then is weighted or pegged down at the ground along the sides.
fenwoman

http://www.opico.co.uk/agmac/earth_drills/access_01.htm

they will sell you as little as you need off the roll very cheaply and are very helpful and polite and send it quickly too. I have no connection with them other than a very satisfied customer.
fenwoman

Buy the polypipe from screwfix. It is the cheapest available. 25 mm wide, blue pipe in a 50 metre roll is 13 ish. I have just ordered 5 rolls myself. Bend into arches with the ends stuck in the ground. use bamboo canes on the underside of the pipe at the top taped to brace them apart, Dig in the sides or the plastic to hold them and hey presto.
dpack

Behemoth wrote:
This lot are quite competitive for a lot of stuff - not sure about their prices for polytunnel plastic but worth a look. They also do cheaper plastic for cloches etc. http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/5.html

Quote:
I'm not sure that hosepipe will be rigid enough (depends of the type of hose) but I'd recomend gas or water pipe from a builders merchant.

Dont stable gun the plastic to the hoops, it will tear the plastic in strong winds or if the hoop moves. Also it will make it easier to dismantle and store if the plastic can be removed and rolled up.

Basically you should be heading for a stable frame that the plastic covers and then is weighted or pegged down at the ground along the sides.

i tatted my yellow pipe and bought a huge roll of plastic for a tenner of a bloke who makes and sells storage bags etc. in the market . . i poked holes in the plastic and wove the pipe through .i must make more cloches,as it works fine.
cheddarpaul

Well I found some cheap plastic locally (although not as cheap as that to be found on the links you have all posted for me) and yesterday put up my 6m polytunnel.....

Thanks for the links everyone - will get my next lot from one of these companies (although the postage is abit steep on Kays!)
dpack

nice . only thing is my lottie must look like holland from the air, it will be more so when i make some more . Smile
Hannah

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the article in the February Smallholding Magazine about building your own polytunnel they could let me have/copy for me do they?

Many thanks

Hannah
Mary-Jane

Hannah wrote:
I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the article in the February Smallholding Magazine about building your own polytunnel they could let me have/copy for me do they?

Many thanks

Hannah

I've got that Hannah. If you PM me with your details I'll copy it and pop it in the post.
Camile

Good morning ...

Is there a chance you could scan it or take pictures of it and post it here ?

That would be much appreciated ...

Thanks,
Camile
Mary-Jane

Camile wrote:
Good morning ...

Thanks,
Camile

Do you mean the article Camile?
Penny Outskirts

Camile wrote:
Good morning ...

Thanks,
Camile

Wouldn't that breach copyright rules Confused
Camile

Hi Mary-Jane,

Indeed that's what I meant ...

Penny, for the copyright, I suppose if you mention the source it shouldn't be an issue isn't it ?

Or we could simply PM it to the people interested !

Camile
Mary-Jane

Actually Penny's right, copyright prevents the scanning of articles and reproducing them here. However, I can photocopy them and send them on in the post to you. PM me with your address and I'll bung a copy in the post - same for anyone else whose interested in the article...
Mary-Jane

However, if anyone wants to order a whole back copy of Country Smallholding, you can do it online here: http://www.countrysmallholding.com/content/backIssues.asp
Tavascarow

Lowes of Dundee do rolls of cloche plastic & very competitive for price & delivery.
They are top notch for polytunnel covers, cloche covers, ground cover, pots etc.
If you bought a roll from them & split it amongst your friends here I'm sure it would work out cheaper.
Very Happy
Tavascarow

PS.
You are just as well off using thinner plastic as unless the thicker stuff is ultraviolet resistant it wont last anyway.
Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home