Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
tahir

Plastic jam jars?

We're making some jam for a hostel in the east end. They're feeding 600 people daily so the number of jars they need to open and dispose of is an issue, for us it's filling time and cost. Are there plastic tubs or jars that you could fill with jam straight from the pan, or would they just melt?

Any other issues or ideas?
Shan

Could you perhaps put the jam into vacuum pack bags? I often do that with sauce, coulis, compotes and stock and never bother cooling them down. You need to squish the air out and seal as opposed to vacuuming.
tahir

I have got a vacuum pack thingy that I've never used but won't it be a bit squishy to serve from?
tahir

I guess if this is microwave safe it'd be safe to stick hot jam into?

https://www.ampulla.co.uk/Plastic-Food-Pots-&-Tubs/1000ml-Clear-Round-Plastic-Food-Pot--White-Handle-And-TE-Lid-SP/p-206-2778/
Shan

I would imagine it would be fine for jam.
Shan

I have got a vacuum pack thingy that I've never used but won't it be a bit squishy to serve from?

Cut a corner, squeeze the jam out into a dish. Unfortunately, there is some wastage. I think your microwave proof plastic containers look like the better option, although vac bags are more easily disposable (take up less space).
sgt.colon

Do they have to dispose of the jars (if you used glass) could they not just return them to you?
tahir

Do they have to dispose of the jars (if you used glass) could they not just return them to you?

It's just they'd have to store them till I got back there, which might not be for ages.
tahir

I would imagine it would be fine for jam.

I think I'll give them a go
dpack

would 5 ltr containers be best?

my haphazard maths and "reasoning" :

roughly 50 portions per kilo ie about 10 k per meal if a few folk don't like jam or 15 kg per meal if there are some avid jam fans

a 5kg size gives less packaging at both ends and manageable pans of hot jam

re plastic the single portion jams for the hospitality trades are packed in plastic so a "safe" ec marked container for bulk jam seems plausible

the blue 25 lt screw lid tubs would be ok for jam (they are fine for chutneys ,marmalades etc etc ) but they are a bit big for hand made produce (25kg of boiling jam is a scary prospect without industrial kit ) and too large for that number of diners to use at one sitting unless a massive jam rolypoly was involved .

iirc similar tubs in smaller sizes are available, perhaps a suitable size of plastic screw or snap top containers can be obtained fairly easily and in terms of time saving using bigger "jars" might cover any added expense.

using new containers with the correct designation for catering size jam use does avoid any unpleasantness in relation to food regs etc etc .

plastic will reduce breakages and 5kg size should reduce waste.

the used tubs would make an excellent "dry box" for a rough sleeper or storage jar for the catering kitchen
tahir

would 5 ltr containers be best?

may be but I've ordered them now Wink
dpack

a possible thought for next time and for any folk thinking of bulk jamming Very Happy

when i was doing the maths i also established that 5 kg would last 3 of us over a year Laughing

well done for helping them feed hungry folk with decent food.
Nick

5kg tubs sound great but they're going to hold the heat for a loooong time. I wouldn't fill them warm Unless I was certain they were heat proof. Nick

You can put the bag in a tub and turn the edges out over the top.
tahir

5kg tubs sound great but they're going to hold the heat for a loooong time. I wouldn't fill them warm Unless I was certain they were heat proof.

Very true
mochyn

Hello Smile See you in a couple of weeks? sean

Hello Smile See you in a couple of weeks?

Helpful as ever I see. Wink
tahir

Surprised Laughing

Yep (to both)
tahir

Well that was a lot easier, 7kg of plums 7kg of sugar into 4 plastic tubs. They were very flexible for a while but they look fine this morning Shan

Excellent. I don't think you'd want to go any bigger... too much heat.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home