Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Aardvaak

Pnd Plant Ident.

Could someome please Identify what plant this is?

It is growing in a very large amount in one of my farm ponds.

Is it edible?

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww88/AardvaakPhotobucket/PondPlant.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww88/AardvaakPhotobucket/PondPlant2.jpg
BahamaMama

Looks like watercress to me. In itself totally edible but unless your pond has clear running water, personally I would not eat it. Others may disagree.

Watercress can colonise an area very quickly, but is also very easy to manage and control, just pull it out if it gets out of control.
jamanda

Yes, water cress, but it can harbour nasties like liver fluke, so I'd leave well alone.
dpack

Looks like watercress to me. In itself totally edible but unless your pond has clear running water, personally I would not eat it. Others may disagree.

Watercress can colonise an area very quickly, but is also very easy to manage and control, just pull it out if it gets out of control.

yum

control is eating and planting

if the water has bio challenge cook it

lucky ,

wonderful plant for raw or cooked
my patch has been planted 8 years on a public land drain with gritstone springs Laughing
dpack

ps flukes are only found under water so the standing proud in the air leaves should be fine

pps nowt multicellular likes a boiling but with a lid on the vit c will be undegraded and any worms will cook

cooked the mineral content is more digestable

one of my favourite plants
Treacodactyl

There are a couple of other plants that look quite like watercress, at least to me, so I'd confirm the id by squashing a bit and smelling, does it smell mustardy and like cress?
anoia

My apologies for a hit and run posting, but it doesn't look like watercress to me - the leaves are opposite each other not alternate, and I'd expect the leaf stalks to be longer with little leaves on.

It might be Brooklime? Veronica beccabunga (wasn't she something to do with Berlusconi?), but I've not tried eating it, though a fast google suggests it might be edible. It will have blue flowers later if it is - possibly also if it isn't of course!

Fiona
cab

Brooklime would be my first thought too.
bubble

brooklime is what it is ,Veronica beccubunga, it will have small blue flowers ,like watercress it can be eaten ,but has a bitter taste.
cab

And the same concern re. liver flukes applies. When raw its not all that nice, when cooked its bleeding horrible Smile
Lorrainelovesplants

dont look like watercress to me...I was thinking frogbit or the like...looks too 'meaty'.
hots

We call it duckweed although that's not it's real name, nor is it actually duckweed!
Don't eat it (as if you would).
We have lots of it in our pond, mainly round the edges, quite easy to pull up and ducks like to eat it.
Get some ducks if you want to be rid of it. Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home