Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
bagpuss

Poll on moderator visibility

Here is the poll on moderator visibility.

If you wish to discuss your options before voting or just read other people's opinions please do so in here

This thread is purely for voting purposes
cab

After a whole day of consulting on this, you should have done better than lumping the abstain option with the 'do nothing' option, the two being clearly different.
bagpuss

Bump
OP

I have voted, I will let you guess what for!
wellington womble

cab wrote:
After a whole day of consulting on this, you should have done better than lumping the abstain option with the 'do nothing' option, the two being clearly different.

They would both result in no action taken, so it seemed sensible to put them together.
cab

Thats like counting spoiled ballots in an election as counting for the existing party. The say 'I don't care' is not the same as saying 'I want no change'.
Jonnyboy

Option 4 makes sense to me, especially as those voting for the alternatives expect the volunteer technical people on this site to make the necessary changes.

Perhaps in future people carrying out this kind of work could be paid by downsizer funds?

If I was voting for changes I would have voted for just a list at the top, which wasn't available as an option.
bagpuss

Jonnyboy wrote:

If I was voting for changes I would have voted for just a list at the top, which wasn't available as an option.

Isn't that what option 1 was?
Jonnyboy

Yes, I am an idiot.
bagpuss

Jonnyboy wrote:
Yes, I am an idiot.

We can probably manage to -1 from 4 and +1 to 1 so it works out okay
Jonnyboy

No, I didn't intend to vote that way so it's fine. I just didn't read the poll options properly. Don't change your figures.
Rob R

cab wrote:
Thats like counting spoiled ballots in an election as counting for the existing party. The say 'I don't care' is not the same as saying 'I want no change'.

I see your point, but the people have who voted for that option must not care and not want change. It should have been worded better according to the action to be taken, rather than the feelings around that action as opposed to splitting the option.
RichardW

Rob R wrote:

I see your point, but the people have who voted for that option must not care and not want change. It should have been worded better according to the action to be taken, rather than the feelings around that action as opposed to splitting the option.

Wont the "I dont care's" just not bother voting?
cab

RichardW wrote:
Rob R wrote:

Wont the "I dont care's" just not bother voting?

Several posted to the discussion on this to say 'I don't care', and clicking a box is even less effort than that...
bagpuss

This poll will close at lunchtime tomorrow

please vote
RichardW

The poll is flawed any way.

Just do option 3 as then every one gets the option they want with 100% satisfaction.

Those wanting option 1 get it
Those wanting option 2 get it
Those wanting option 3 get it
Those that dont care get to not care.
Nick

wellington womble wrote:
cab wrote:

They would both result in no action taken, so it seemed sensible to put them together.

No they wouldn't.

People who don't care wouldn't mind if things changed or not. Those who want it to change would object if it does change. So, if you get a majority who say Leave it as it is, then you leave it as it is, if you get a majority who say We don't care, then you have to distinguish between those who want change and those that do not.
Brownbear

What about if you all wore special underpants? Normally, you could wear just Magic Mormon Underpants to symbolise your hidden might; when dispensing Judgement, you could wear Al-Quaida Nigerian-style exploding underpants.

Sorted.
sally_in_wales

would they have to be hand knitted from rare breed goat, or could we choose something slinkier?
Penny Outskirts

I'm having nothing exploding in my undercrakcers, thank you kindly Shocked
Brownbear

sally_in_wales wrote:
would they have to be hand knitted from rare breed goat, or could we choose something slinkier?

When you ban anyone, you have to do it live on web-cam, nude apart from a pair of rabbit-skin ear warmers. How you position them is up to you.
Mary-Jane

Penny wrote:
I'm having nothing exploding in my undercrakcers, thank you kindly Shocked

Absolutely. There's enough exploding in there already... Laughing

*Ducks to dodge missile*
bagpuss

Due to downsizers downtime this morning we will leave declaring this to Monday
nettie

Although no 4 carries the most votes at the moment I think it needs to be acknowledged that the majority have voted for a change of some sort.
Chez

nettie wrote:
Although no 4 carries the most votes at the moment I think it needs to be acknowledged that the majority have voted for a change of some sort.

Definitely - although I voted for 4 Smile
Treacodactyl

nettie wrote:

Although the majority of users haven't voted at all; and I don't mean the entire member list but just the one's who've visited in the last couple of weeks.

I better go off and have a rummage for my prefect badge...
Chez

Treacodactyl wrote:
Although the majority of users haven't voted at all; and I don't mean the entire member list but just the one's who've visited in the last couple of weeks.

Yeah, that probably is more telling than anything Laughing
Treacodactyl

Chez wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Yeah, that probably is more telling than anything Laughing

Especially when there's loads of people snowed in and trying to find something to do. Now, if we'd had the poll in late spring I bet we'd have about 20 voters. Laughing
Jonnyboy

Treacodactyl wrote:

And that's the killer, it makes all downsizer polls, ever, completely pointless. Wink
lottie

Presumably though the people like me who did vote and didn't vote for 4 did so because they do care about the result.
Gervase

True - if people can actually be arsed to vote in an open poll, then their voice should be heeded, regardless of the overall apathy. The same works for government. And if the result is unacceptable to the silent majority, it's up to them to do vote next time.
Brownbear

I would guess that the non-voters in elections or referenda, are such for so great a variety of reasons that it is not possible to draw any reliable conclusions from the non-appearance of their opinions.
Nick

I think we have decided, beyond all reasonable doubt on this very forum that people who decide not to vote are not wasting their vote, but expressing, as a thoughtful and productive activity, their dissatisfaction with any of the offered options. I'm sure I remember that being decided... Wink
Brownbear

Nick wrote:
I think we have decided, beyond all reasonable doubt on this very forum that people who decide not to vote are not wasting their vote, but expressing, as a thoughtful and productive activity, their dissatisfaction with any of the offered options. I'm sure I remember that being decided... Wink

Was it decided by a vote, then?
Nick

No. A lack of effort to run a poll proves, even more than a lack of voting that it's correct.
Rob R

I note the changes have been implemented, lets just hope that is enough to satisfy the critics, on that matter. They can't make it much easier than that...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home