Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
OtleyLad

Poly pots for strawberries

Thinking of growing straws off the ground in the polytunnel this year. I hope to grow them in something big enough (pot/trough) so that the plants can remain in situ for a few years (i.e. the soil/compost does not get exhausted) with minimum feeding.
I'm thinking of using poly pots on a suitable frame. Would 17 litre pots be ok for a single plant or would 10 litres be big enough?
Is comfrey tea suitable for feeding?
Then there's the variety. Whats your experience regarding taste/disease resistence/length of cropping?

Edited to ask: Are there any varieties that can be sown from seed (non-F1)?
Treacodactyl

I don't know about pots but have you thought of using growbags supported in an X-frame? I think commercial growers use some form of growbag and one of the larger bags may last more than a year.

Something we've been meaning to try to keep the berries away from slugs and snails (unfortunately at an ideal height for the dog).
dpack

hydroponics ?

it is easier than many folk think and if you keep the rig/control gear simple (scrapheap challenge is your pal ) it is quite cheap as well.

some commercial growers use waist high tables in poly tunnels either with growbags/irrigation or hplv hydroponics but there is no reason that nutrient film over guttering or roof sheets could not be used if you want to avoid high pressure pumps and control gear.

table beds using your normal soil is another option
Midlandsman

Re: Poly pots for strawberries

There's one here:

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Strawberry_Seed_Sweet_Temptation/

The majority sell plants, or the seeds are for alpine strawberries.

HTH

MM
OtleyLad

Re: Poly pots for strawberries

There's one here:

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Strawberry_Seed_Sweet_Temptation/

The majority sell plants, or the seeds are for alpine strawberries.

HTH

MM

Those look promising thanks.
There're a number named 'Temptation' (Molesseeds have them) - wonder if they are the same?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home