Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sean

Pork & Ricotta Meatballs with Cabbage & Lemon

From Yotam Ottolenghi in the Guardian. I used cottage cheese 'cos for some reason nobody in Torrington stocks ricotta. I also cut the salt back as I find his quantities too high for my palate. (It's also possible that my bacon is saltier than his of course.) Not sure that my timings were as precise as the recipe either. Jolly good though, even BW was impressed.

Serve with rice. Serves six.

500g minced pork
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 medium onion, peeled, half coarsely grated, half finely diced
5g tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
1½ tsp caraway seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
⅛ tsp ground cloves
100g ricotta
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly whisked
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
2 small savoy cabbages, trimmed, stalks removed and each cut into six wedges (1kg net weight)
160g smoky bacon lardons
500ml chicken stock
Shaved skin of 1 lemon, plus 1½ tsp lemon juice, to serve
80ml double cream

Mix the pork, garlic, grated onion, tarragon, spices, ricotta, breadcrumbs and egg with half a teaspoon of salt and lots of pepper. Form into balls just under 5cm wide and 45g in weight – you should end up with 18.

Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick pan on a medium-high flame, and fry the meatballs for seven minutes, turning a few times, until golden-brown all over (they should all fit in the pan, but cook in batches if need be). Remove from the pan and set aside.

Heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil and add the cabbage wedges. Blanch for two minutes, until semi-cooked and still bright green, then drain, shaking out as much water as you can. Put in a bowl with the last tablespoon of oil and a third of a teaspoon of salt. Mix to coat, then spread out on a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for 12 minutes, until the outer leaves are crisp and golden-brown. Remove and keep in a warm spot.

While the cabbage is in the oven, return the saute pan to a medium-high heat – don’t wipe it, as you want the oil. Add the diced onion and lardons, and fry for seven minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the onion soft. Add the stock, lemon skin, a quarter-teaspoon of salt and lots of pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for nine minutes, to reduce and thicken the liquid. Stir in the cream, then add the meatballs and cook for six minutes, stirring often, until cooked through and the sauce has thickened.

Serve two cabbage wedges and three meatballs per portion, with the sauce spooned over and a final drizzle of lemon juice.
sean

The roasted cabbage was excellent. I'll do that again with other stuff.
Nick

Ive just been given Nopi. It looks amazing.
sean

It's on my Christmas list.
Nick

It comes with a mystery free gift.
chez

This looks fab, thanks.
joanne

I've done roasted cabbage before, it's yummy as is roasted broccoli or cauliflower.

This could easily be made Gluten Free as well so looks like a good one to have in the repertoire.
tahir

Re: Pork & Ricotta Meatballs with Cabbage & Lemon

I also cut the salt back as I find his quantities too high for my palate.

I've eaten at one of his restaurants, unbelievably salty
Nick

Lots of ricotta, bacon and stock. I added no salt, even to the rice, and it was salty enough.

Fennel instead of caraway. Ace, thank you.
Nick

It's on my Christmas list.

Were you a good enough boy?
sean

Yep. Smile Some good-lookng stuff in there. Most of it doesn't seem as complicated as the reviews suggest. Nick

I agree, on all fronts, with the caveat that I've not read any reviews. Did you get the free gift card? sean

Yep. Smile Nick

Yep. Smile

Finally, it's turned up. Speed, thy name is not Ottolenghi.
sean

I'd forgotten all about it. sean

Marvellous. Wherever I go in the world I'll be able to find a recipe that I don't have the ingredients for. Nick

Very Happy sean

In cheering news for anyone who has been worrying about me, Lidl has started selling ricotta. dpack

Laughing Treacodactyl

In cheering news for anyone who has been worrying about me, Lidl has started selling ricotta.

How are you old bean? I would have thought you'd be making your own ricotta by now?
sean

Haven't gone that far yet. Boy Wonder became a dab hand at paneer while he was back at home for six months.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home