Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
john of wessex

Post Augers

'm trying to get hold of a cheap one.

Is the Draper one from Machine Mart any good?
Mistress Rose

Sorry I don't know the answer, but before getting an auger consider your soil. The flints in ours make them very difficult to use.
Ty Gwyn

Sorry I don't know the answer, but before getting an auger consider your soil. The flints in ours make them very difficult to use.

That was my first thought,but seeing the name Draper,possibly John`s looking for an auger to bore a hole in a post,ie.for a gate hanger?
gregotyn

If it is for the ground then you tend to get the best type of auger by going to a man who hires the machines out, if it breaks then he should send you another to do the job. Make sure you have a tractor man enough to drive it. If it is a post auger as Ty Gwyn says then Draper is as good as any other make I expect. Our company deals with Draper, and they are good with replacements if it all goes wrong.
onemanband

I can't comment on augers as I don't use them, but generally speaking Draper tools, although not top of the range, are usually fit for purpose and worthy DIY kit.
19.19 seems a fair enough price. Much cheaper I'd be questioning the quality.
gregotyn

We still don't actually know what type of auger john of wessex is was l looking for.
onemanband

We still don't actually know what type of auger john of wessex is was l looking for.

You do if you look at Machine Mart and search Draper auger Wink
Nick

You do if you look at Machine Mart and search Draper auger Wink

If you google draper machine mart auger the first hit is drill bits, the second is for fence posts.
gregotyn

Forgive me, I should have used my aging brain to look in Draper's catalogue, but, age related, I didn't marry Machine Mart and Draper, probably the reason I am the 3rd storeman on the left or as I say to customers your last resort! john of wessex

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Draper-Fence-Post-Auger-6-Inch/p/152173?CAWELAID=120135120001238714&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37524968452&CATCI=pla-193351568932&gclid=CJr67t-8otQCFUSeGwodhvIO_A&gclsrc=aw.ds Ty Gwyn

Hope you haven't got stoney ground,lol. Mistress Rose

Precisely. If you have, a good wrecking bar to break up the stones is a better bet. gregotyn

Digger and a load of concrete, beats ground augers if there are a lot of stones. Mistress Rose

Very Happy

We prefer to ram posts in, but we have a post ram for the back of the little tractor. We have dug and concreted posts in, but with flints it is nearly as bad as using an auger.
gregotyn

Ramming in is much faster, but not as easy with stoney/flinty ground, where you have no guarantee of an upright post at the end of it. We used to do contract fencing of all types and when you do it for yourself you are much less critical than when you are fencing for a client. Mistress Rose

If the ground is bad we try it first with a wrecking bar. We had to remove of break up some really big flints at one place we did. Although we mainly do fencing for ourselves now, we have done it in the past for other people, and always like to get our posts upright. dpack

a well designed shaped charge would by a quick and easy way to make post holes in most land.

bit noisy and there might some some paperwork to fill in but better than poking holes in chalk and flints or dryish clay with big pebbles with a bar.
Mistress Rose

Explosives show a lack of finesse Dpack. Tends to upset the neighbours too. Laughing Nick

Explosives show a lack of finesse Dpack. Tends to upset the neighbours too. Laughing

I guess it depends on your neighbours if that's a good or bad thing.
gregotyn

By the time you have notified all concerned about blasting holes in the ground, you would have time to dig the holes out using a toothpick before the authorities give approval or not.
I wouldn't tell 2 of my neighbours if I applied and got approval, then do the job in the middle of the night!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home