Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
mochyn

Post Office Savings Account

Well, that's what I want, but they don't seem to do them anymore. I'm totally fed up with Santander who just keep bunging more silly restrictions onto their accounts, and the nearest is miles away anyway. I want to be able to put in 20 at a time, about every other week, and draw a bit of cash (perhaps as little as 30) whenever I need it.

Does anyone do that sort of thing anymore?
crofter

While interest rates on savings are so poor it would make more sense to use something like this -

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=62741&highlight=
marigold

Local credit union?
frewen

I was disappointed to find that you couldn't have a PO savings account any more.

You can deposit cheques into a Barclays account and draw money using your debit card at the PO (other banks let you do the same too)
mochyn

Local credit union?

Excellent plan, Marigold: I'll have to see what there is around here. I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten about CUs.

Crofter: Laughing

ETA there's one in Mntgomeryshire called the Robert Owen CU: has a branch in Welshpool too.

Woohoo! Ethical savings!
alice

For those sort of sums and with interest rates as they are I favour the biscuit tin under the bed approach.
I can see where my mother was coming from now - there's something infinitely reassuring about have a few quid stashed, instantly accessible, in your knicker leg Cool
Tavascarow

For those sort of sums and with interest rates as they are I favour the biscuit tin under the bed approach.
I can see where my mother was coming from now - there's something infinitely reassuring about have a few quid stashed, instantly accessible, in your knicker leg Cool

Is your mother a lap dancer?
Shocked
chicken feed

i am in the process of changing from hsbc Mad (dont get me started) to the co operative which i can use any post office to pay in a draw out.

the switch over has gone to plan except hsbc decided to keep my money for longer than arranged so the ac is closed the dd's are transfered the funds Twisted Evil are being processed................just no idea when they will land in the new a/c.
john of wessex

Most of the Post Office Stuff is provided by an Irish Bank.

Whikle it's covered by the UK deposit protection scheme I'm not that taken by the idea of whose behind it
Chez

We have a Barclays Numpty Account, which I think is called a 'basic account' or something like that. You can go and do it in the bank. No cheque book, just a debit card and you can put money in and out in the post office and also access it online. gz

You can deposit and withdraw from the PO if you have a Co-op Bank Account too Very Happy Green Rosie

I have a Smile Internet account - can't remember if I had to put in more or a regular amount in when I opened it but it might be worth looking into if that would work for you. I think you can pay in at the post office but it's been a awhile since I have done that obviously! alice

You can withdraw cash at the PO with any of these accounts
Current accounts
Santander (Accounts opened in Alliance & Leicester before July 2010), Bank of Ireland, Bank of Scotland, Barclays, cahoot, Clydesdale Bank, Halifax, Nationwide Building Society, Lloyds TSB, Northern Bank, smile, The Co-operative Bank
Basic bank accounts
Santander (Accounts opened in Alliance & Leicester before July 2010), Bank of Ireland, Bank of Scotland, Barclays, Clydesdale Bank, First Trust Bank, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, Nationwide Building Society, NatWest, Northern Bank, The Co-operative Bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland, Ulster Bank, Yorkshire Bank

You can pay in cash and cheques with any of these accounts
Current accounts
Santander (Accounts opened in Alliance & Leicester before July 2010), Bank of Ireland, Barclays, cahoot, Clydesdale Bank, Lloyds TSB, smile, The Co-operative Bank
Basic bank accounts
Santander (Accounts opened in Alliance & Leicester before July 2010), Bank of Ireland, Clydesdale Bank, Lloyds TSB, smile, The Co-operative Bank
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home